SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

SWSiouxMN

A dose of relative perspective: Jaron Nash transferred from Lubbock, Texas to UND to be closer to his ailing father in Waterloo, Iowa; McBuckets reportedly wants to transfer from UND to be closer to home in Cedar Rapids -- only 50 minutes from Waterloo.  What's close for one guy is too far from home for another?  Go figure.

Best wishes, Adam... hope you find your comfort zone somewhere out there!  

Best wishes to McD. It was nice to see him out on the court and lighting it up.

I hope this is the only one, otherwise we might start having some holes to fill this late in the game. 

Now... what to do with that last scholarship.  Well if he is still available, snag the Jackson kid from MPLS North.

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Looks like NAU guard Kris Yanku is transferring or turning pro. That's a big loss for them. 

Didn't realize he had been suspended for "conduct detrimental to the team" right before the Big Sky tournament. Signs seem to point to him heading to Europe.

Right, but there's (pretty close to) family history there. You'd think there has been some inquiries "if I were to come to UNI..." and what are the chances that he'd have a spot. May call him a walk on, but he's making that team. 

I just hope he doesn't grow 6" and add 30 pounds of muscle like his cousin did. (Or whatever the exact details were with McBuckets)

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Yep during his transfer sit out year.  In state tuition, no biggie.

probably a walk on as a rs soph also... will have to earn a scholly on the court.  Jake not going to turn getting a  low D1 kid for free.  Nothing wrong with turning down a free ride and serious PT to pay your own way and spend more time on the pine in order to be closer to family

6 hours ago, hoops44 said:

probably a walk on as a rs soph also... will have to earn a scholly on the court.  Jake not going to turn getting a  low D1 kid for free.  Nothing wrong with turning down a free ride and serious PT to pay your own way and spend more time on the pine in order to be closer to family

When eligible, he will play good minutes. Good young player. 

So will any of the incoming freshman players see the court? I think both redshirt but if any of them play I think Walter will have the leg up.  Of course this is also provided the roster stays as is. 

I also think UND should address the 3 with the open scholarship, unless there is still a decent center floating around out there.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So will any of the incoming freshman players see the court? I think both redshirt but if any of them play I think Walter will have the leg up.  Of course this is also provided the roster stays as is. 

I also think UND should address the 3 with the open scholarship, unless there is still a decent center floating around out there.

I see Brown as a D2 kid ,hopefully focusing on one sport will up is game and prove me wrong...that being said red shirting a kid who is in over his head could tie up a scholly for 5 years vs 4.  Kienan looks like a stretch 4 too slim to get time at the 5.  Could get ahead of Collins in the rotation and see time at the 4.  I would like to see Avants spend more time at the 4 and less at the 5

• 2 weeks later...

Strengths:
Stewart is a true point guard that brings good size and strength to the position. He is a crafty finisher on the break and when he attacks the rim in the halfcourt. Stewart has a tight handle which allows him to beat his defender and deliver the ball on time and on target in drive, draw and kick or drop off situations. He can knock down the open three as well. Stewart has very good overall upside.

Weaknesses:
Stewart will need to continue to develop as a leader and be more consistent in addition to working on be a better on ball defender all in which he is very capable.

Bottom Line:
Stewart is a mid major plus point guard that can play high major in the right system because of his size, playmaking ability and he can keep the defense honest by making the open jumper with range to the arc. Stewart has the tools to be a very good college point guard and immediate contributor.

6-3, 190 | Class of 2015

Scout Grade

•  
53 POSITION
61 REGIONAL
1 STATE

1 minute ago, hoops44 said:

Strengths:
Stewart is a true point guard that brings good size and strength to the position. He is a crafty finisher on the break and when he attacks the rim in the halfcourt. Stewart has a tight handle which allows him to beat his defender and deliver the ball on time and on target in drive, draw and kick or drop off situations. He can knock down the open three as well. Stewart has very good overall upside.

Weaknesses:
Stewart will need to continue to develop as a leader and be more consistent in addition to working on be a better on ball defender all in which he is very capable.

Bottom Line:
Stewart is a mid major plus point guard that can play high major in the right system because of his size, playmaking ability and he can keep the defense honest by making the open jumper with range to the arc. Stewart has the tools to be a very good college point guard and immediate contributor.

6-3, 190 | Class of 2015

Scout Grade

•  
53 POSITION
61 REGIONAL
1 STATE

That is pretty impressive.  Welcome to UND.