SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

SWSiouxMN

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Maybe if UND is a 16 they can be the first team ever to beat a 1.  Gotta have goals people! :)

If UND takes care of business in the next 6 games and gets in, I think there will be enough upsets where they don't get in the play-in

first things is first.  Beat UNC in Greely on Saturday.

#16 UND vs #1 Gonzaga. Seems like a winnable game. ;)

15 hours ago, hoops44 said:

still does not matter with respect to getting NCAA or NIT bid...Nobody said it does not affect RPI ...which by the way if you knew what you were talking about is influenced by who you play not just getting wins....when was the last time you showed up on a basketball other than to piss and moan??? the silence is deafening

Fire Jones

• Upvote 1

You could argue that the teams in the play in game get much more exposure than the 16 teams that don't have to play.  There are 2 play in games each nigh.  Those game are on CBS.  Many people are watching just those games as opposed to Thursday and Friday when there are 32 games a day.  More people will be watching a North Dakota/Mt St Mary's game than a North Dakota/Villanova game.  Playing the play in game is not ideal, but not the worst scenario.  Best chance to win a tournament game!!

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

You could argue that the teams in the play in game get much more exposure than the 16 teams that don't have to play.  There are 2 play in games each nigh.  Those game are on CBS.  Many people are watching just those games as opposed to Thursday and Friday when there are 32 games a day.  More people will be watching a North Dakota/Mt St Mary's game than a North Dakota/Villanova game.  Playing the play in game is not ideal, but not the worst scenario.  Best chance to win a tournament game!!

Sure, it's the best chance, on paper, to win a "tournament" game.  And yes, there aren't many games on at that same time, but personally, I've never watched a play-in game before.  Also, in the brackets that are filled out by everyone, if they even list the play-in teams that might play the #1 seed, you're listed as a slash with the other play-in team in the real first round, because nobody really cares about those play-in games.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Maybe if UND is a 16 they can be the first team ever to beat a 1.  Gotta have goals people! :)

If UND takes care of business in the next 6 games and gets in, I think there will be enough upsets where they don't get in the play-in

first things is first.  Beat UNC in Greely on Saturday.

Now that would be a way to be talked about.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sure, it's the best chance, on paper, to win a "tournament" game.  And yes, there aren't many games on at that same time, but personally, I've never watched a play-in game before.  Also, in the brackets that are filled out by everyone, if they even list the play-in teams that might play the #1 seed, you're listed as a slash with the other play-in team in the real first round, because nobody really cares about those play-in games.

Not all the play in games are 16 seeds.  They throw in 11 v 11 and 12 v 12 in there as well.  VCU went from the First Four to the Final Four a couple years back.  There is plenty of interest for the First Four games.  Obviously not as much as when the first round games starts, but its there.  

Can anybody answer how the play-in teams are picked? I assumed based on their RPI compared to the rest of the 16 seeds. If you look at the ESPN bracket and the CBSSports bracket, that is not the case. UND for example is not in the play-in game and only a 16 seed in the CBSSports bracket (although has an RPI higher than teams in the play-in game). In the ESPN bracket, same thing, just different teams.

Having watched UND play Weber twice this year I will say that UND is better than they are.  Just a better team.  That wasn't the case in the past but this year is different.

UND would have to play worse than normal to lose to Weber, IMO, or Weber would have to shoot the lights out to beat UND.  

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Folks, before we indulge deeply into play-in game vs whatever-seed discussions we should see if Jones and his squad can finish the regular season and BSC tourney without choking. Weber will be tough to beat in the BSC tourney. 

Either they do or they don't, doesn't hurt to discuss what if scenarios.

I'd be much more worried about playing Eastern than I would Weber. It's basketball, either could easily beat UND in the tournament, but if I would want to avoid one team, it'd be Eastern.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'd be much more worried about playing Eastern than I would Weber. It's basketball, either could easily beat UND in the tournament, but if I would want to avoid one team, it'd be Eastern.

This.  I am hoping as the last few weeks play out that things stay as they are and Weber and EWU stay on the same side of the bracket.  Don't want to have to beat both teams to get there.  We don't match up the best with EWU and their athletic bigs.  

Agree about EWU.  Some tough matchups with them.  Bliznyuk going to the basket is so tough and physical.  He was in foul trouble whole game in GF but have watched him few times and he can create huge mismatches.  And of course Wiley who I think is leading league in scoring, rebounds and blocked shots. Too bad the unbalanced schedule took away from the trip for UND out to Cheney.  Would have been great game.   Now I would rather avoid them in Reno.

Anyone who understand this all better than I do,

Will the BSC member pretty much be locked into a play in game at this point? If UND were to win out and/or win the conference tourney, is there still a shot to move up to a #15? Does this have a lot to do with surprise teams in other conference winning their auto bids?

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone who understand this all better than I do,

Will the BSC member pretty much be locked into a play in game at this point? If UND were to win out and/or win the conference tourney, is there still a shot to move up to a #15? Does this have a lot to do with surprise teams in other conference winning their auto bids?

If there are enough upsets in other 1-bid conference tournaments, the BSC winner could certainly move up.

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If there are enough upsets in other 1-bid conference tournaments, the BSC winner could certainly move up.

Yep and there's a lot of one bid leagues.

One bid leagues.PNG

Edit: This is based on current projections, but regardless, there are a lot of 1 bid leagues.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Sure it doesn't hurt to discuss, but if I had to choose UND or the field (other BSC teams), I'd go with the field. I sure hope I'm wrong but nothing under Jones' tenure has shown me his teams can withstand pressure so I fear a letdown. We'll see. Carry on with scenario discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

Jones pulls it off, wins Big Sky out right, had crow for breakfast this morning, still trying to get that taste out off my mouth. Thursday's Sac States game hurt us, but E. Wash's band aides healed us over night. 

Jones has really gained control over this team since mid January. The players have become much more disciplined and actually listen to him when he's jumping up and down while running in front of the Hawk's bench from mid court to the end line. Most games he puts on more miles than any of the non starters. I would think, he'll be looked at as coach of the year in the Big Sky. UND is doing well with awards and conference titles???  

The Hawk’s get the 2016-17 Big Sky Conference QUADRUMVIRATE, VB – FB – WBB – MBB! and 11 months ago a MH Natty. In all not tooooooo shabby.

rp_primary_ND5_0086.jpg

• Upvote 3