Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AZSIOUX

Early Departures 2016 Edition

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Interesting, we'll see who is right :)  I heard he's leaning on staying.  Pretty decent source but still mentioned he wasn't 100% sure.  He's getting heavy pressure but loves GF.

Im not saying he will, just what i was told. I have no idea but people within Kings org believe it will get done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, siouxstudent said:

Im not saying he will, just what i was told. I have no idea but people within Kings org believe it will get done.

Haha I tried to delete that.  Funny stuff.  Either way sounds close to 50/50.  I heard he's obviously getting heavy pressure but really likes playing for UND.  Sometimes when I hear someone constantly bringing up the positives of one particular choice it leads me to believe that is what they want to do.  However making that choice does not always happen.  We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hope soon mean today. I'm pretty anxious to see how this one plays out.

 

Same here, has to be any day now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

Im not saying he will, just what i was told. I have no idea but people within Kings org believe it will get done.

It stands to cost him millions if he signs this season. That's why the Kings are pushing so hard. He signs now he gets an entry level two way contract. He waits until after next season and signs with the Kings or goes free agent route, it's a one way contract worth significantly more. I'd heard he was leaning towards staying, also what I believe to be a very reliable source, but when a guy is 50-50 on something you and I are technically reliable sources. As is a coin flip.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, snova4 said:

It stands to cost him millions if he signs this season. That's why the Kings are pushing so hard. He signs now he gets an entry level two way contract. He waits until after next season and signs with the Kings or goes free agent route, it's a one way contract worth significantly more. I'd heard he was leaning towards staying, also what I believe to be a very reliable source, but when a guy is 50-50 on something you and I are technically reliable sources. As is a coin flip.

They must be putting on the full court press, would make sense for him to stay if he can enjoy one more year at UND and sign a nice deal after the season ends next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MissSioux85 said:

The EGF hockey twitter account is reporting that Tucker Poolman is returning for his junior year

EDIT: Herald article confirms - http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4015731-und-hockey-poolman-return-junior-season

 

This is YUGE... We have at least 4 rock solid (Ausmus, Poolman, Wolanan sp?, Shaw) experienced D-men coming back with LaDue still to decide. Get Schmaltz back and we have to be the favorite for #9 though BU will be incredible. Hope the younger Poolman develops like his brother, and Evers is also NHL legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, siouxnami said:

This is YUGE... We have at least 4 rock solid (Ausmus, Poolman, Wolanan sp?, Shaw) experienced D-men coming back with LaDue still to decide. Get Schmaltz back and we have to be the favorite for #9 though BU will be incredible. Hope the younger Poolman develops like his brother, and Evers is also NHL legit.

That BU recruit class scares me. Hopefully they take 3 years to gel.:cool:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snova4 said:

That BU recruit class scares me. Hopefully they take 3 years to gel.:cool:

I'd be fine with them ripping apart the East next season and then we take them down in the title game like what happened with QU this year.  :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snova4 said:

That BU recruit class scares me. Hopefully they take 3 years to gel.:cool:

I'm guessing that the core of the incoming class may only be there a year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm guessing that the core of the incoming class may only be there a year or two.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at.:silly:

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, brianvf said:

I'd be fine with them ripping apart the East next season and then we take them down in the title game like what happened with QU this year.  :)

They have three to five top picks. We have two top picks that have proven themselves and one more that should be alright. Fresh D is a steeper curve, so I think we got the advantage if schmaltz and Ladue come back. If they don't, itsq a coin flip but we will be battle tested come tourney time while they've been feasting on (mostly) cupcakes. Ooooh and LJ!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Minnesota, BC, and Michigan had the same amount of draft picks as UND this year....and that didn't turn out to great for either team :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I believe Minnesota, BC, and Michigan had the same amount of draft picks as UND this year....and that didn't turn out to great for either team :whistling:

The differentiator is that we have un-drafted players like Troy Stecher, Drake Caguila, Rhett Gardner, and Cam Johnson and they are OK...

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thoughts regarding the topics being discussed throughout this thread:

1) Characterizing Colton Poolman as just a "stay at home" defenseman is a bit unfair. He has an offensive flair to his game, he just doesn't have the bomb of a shot Tucker has thus his offensive numbers aren't as impressive as his older brothers. He is smaller than Tucker, who plays a ridiculously long game (long strider, long reach, etc.), but Colton knows how to move the puck/promote an up-ice game while also maintaining his defensive responsibility. He will fit right into the current d-corps, and I predict he will be an every night player next season.

2) Much like everyone else, I would LOVE to see LaDue return for his senior season, though it seems like his signing is nothing more than an eventuality. Regardless, whenever he's on the ice he promotes a sense of calmness - his panic threshold is off the charts and he just always seems to make the right play. He's the trusted horse.

3) If Schmaltz opts to return and the staff sees fit to insert Jost into the top line to form a Jost-Schmaltz-Boeser trio...watch out. If you think the CBS Line was fantastic, a JBS Line would be every bit as good if not better. Jost is day one elite.

4) Luke Johnson's potential departure will have a bigger impact than most people think? He was by far our best faceoff guy, and once he started playing a disciplined game (ie, not taking bad penalties), he was much more valuable than his stat line would indicate. The Heavy Line was very hard to play against, and a lot of that started with Johnson gaining puck possession at the face off dot.

5) Losing Stecher sucks. Personally, he was my favorite player the past two seasons, an absolute bulldog of a competitor with elite talent. The consummate Sioux hockey player. However, the return of the Ausmus and Poolman EGF duo provides next season's team with a very sturdy defensive backbone.

6) The lose of Thompson will be offset by the playing time our freshmen Shaw and Wolanin gained this season. I actually thought Keaton might have actually regressed a bit as a junior? As far as Wolanin is concerned...he has a VERY bright future ahead of him. I would be surprised if he doesn't have a nice NHL career. 

7) Poganski will be a monster as a junior. So hard to handle down low and plays such a hard-driving, relentless game. He and Gardner are great playing together.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I just really, really want Nick to come back. I feel like people somehow undervalue him. His puck control and vision are amazing and he was awesome on his back check. Almost Datsyukian in the way he can pick pocket guys from behind.

I don't under value him at all. He comes back, and I feel as though we're nearly guaranteed another trip to the Frozen Four, and banner 9. For someone whose knock against him coming in was that he would take shifts off and didn't care for defense, our coaching staff got rid of all of that.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UND99 said:

Random thoughts regarding the topics being discussed throughout this thread:

1) Characterizing Colton Poolman as just a "stay at home" defenseman is a bit unfair. He has an offensive flair to his game, he just doesn't have the bomb of a shot Tucker has thus his offensive numbers aren't as impressive as his older brothers. He is smaller than Tucker, who plays a ridiculously long game (long strider, long reach, etc.), but Colton knows how to move the puck/promote an up-ice game while also maintaining his defensive responsibility. He will fit right into the current d-corps, and I predict he will be an every night player next season.

2) Much like everyone else, I would LOVE to see LaDue return for his senior season, though it seems like his signing is nothing more than an eventuality. Regardless, whenever he's on the ice he promotes a sense of calmness - his panic threshold is off the charts and he just always seems to make the right play. He's the trusted horse.

3) If Schmaltz opts to return and the staff sees fit to insert Jost into the top line to form a Jost-Schmaltz-Boeser trio...watch out. If you think the CBS Line was fantastic, a JBS Line would be every bit as good if not better. Jost is day one elite.

4) Luke Johnson's potential departure will have a bigger impact than most people think? He was by far our best faceoff guy, and once he started playing a disciplined game (ie, not taking bad penalties), he was much more valuable than his stat line would indicate. The Heavy Line was very hard to play against, and a lot of that started with Johnson gaining puck possession at the face off dot.

5) Losing Stecher sucks. Personally, he was my favorite player the past two seasons, an absolute bulldog of a competitor with elite talent. The consummate Sioux hockey player. However, the return of the Ausmus and Poolman EGF duo provides next season's team with a very sturdy defensive backbone.

6) The lose of Thompson will be offset by the playing time our freshmen Shaw and Wolanin gained this season. I actually thought Keaton might have actually regressed a bit as a junior? As far as Wolanin is concerned...he has a VERY bright future ahead of him. I would be surprised if he doesn't have a nice NHL career. 

7) Poganski will be a monster as a junior. So hard to handle down low and plays such a hard-driving, relentless game. He and Gardner are great playing together.

 

Pretty darn good account, Agent 99.  I found it unusual about how LJ grew this year.   He'd been with the team for over two years and seemed to be a known quantity.  He got serious flak for being dumb, basically, which he is not.  And I never saw him say or do things to convery anything other than commitment and loyalty to the team.  And he delivered down the stretch in a big way.   He deserved to be on the ice Saturday night.   Hope he stays.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burd said:

Pretty darn good account, Agent 99.  I found it unusual about how LJ grew this year.   He'd been with the team for over two years and seemed to be a known quantity.  He got serious flak for being dumb, basically, which he is not.  And I never saw him say or do things to convery anything other than commitment and loyalty to the team.  And he delivered down the stretch in a big way.   He deserved to be on the ice Saturday night.   Hope he stays.   

judging by the Scott powers article it sounds as though it may be a couple weeks before he decides. He's probably going to do whatever Ladue chooses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

judging by the Scott powers article it sounds as though it may be a couple weeks before he decides. He's probably going to do whatever Ladue chooses.

Haha, Ladue will have little barring on Schmaltz decision.  Ladue nearly left last year.  He'll (Schmaltz) do what's right for himself and make an informed decision, like everyone else does. That's why he's waiting, the more likely scenario is he'll go through camp and then weigh his options.  He should wait and as much as we as Sioux fans hate players leaving early, many should. Stecher and Thompson had great options and we should be proud that they stayed as long as they did.   Many programs barely get a year or two out of players, at North Dakota we get an extra year or two due to our culture, fan base, and tradition.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Haha, Ladue will have little barring on Schmaltz decision.  Ladue nearly left last year.  He'll (Schmaltz) do what's right for himself and make an informed decision, like everyone else does.

He was talking about the LJ and LaDue situations, not the LaDue and Schmaltz.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Haha, Ladue will have little barring on Schmaltz decision.  Ladue nearly left last year.  He'll (Schmaltz) do what's right for himself and make an informed decision, like everyone else does. That's why he's waiting, the more likely scenario is he'll go through camp and then weigh his options.  He should wait and as much as we as Sioux fans hate players leaving early, many should. Stecher and Thompson had great options and we should be proud that they stayed as long as they did.   Many programs barely get a year or two out of players, at North Dakota we get an extra year or two due to our culture, fan base, and tradition.     

why did you think I was talking about schmaltz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...