SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Big Sky Tourney

SWSiouxMN

16 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Pitiful.  I don't mind the whole neutral court idea as much as I once did... but Reno absolutely blows as a location.

Spokane, SLC, and Billings would have been much better.

Denver would be a cool spot, lot of alums there.

The hotel draft was sure one sided.  6 of the 8 remaining teams are all at the Eldarado.  Not that there is many fans with the teams though.  

I do agree though.  I see attendance going up every year.  If a person could swing it, you have a week full of basketball and the games have been pretty good.  

26 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Just curious, does anybody here actually know of any UND fans that went to the Tourney that is not a UND employee or a player relative?

Nothing official, but I would imagine not too many. You would have to be fairly certain UND would be playing more than a game or two to go there, in my opinion, and the way UND finished the regular season did not suggest that. I could see a good sized UND contingent if UND had a superb season and ended up with the #1 or #2 seed. Nevertheless, it always enjoyable to take a trip to Nevada so there's that pull factor to consider as well.

The PAC12 tournament is moving to the new 18.5k T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas from the MGM Grand Arena.  That will open another venue on the strip.  Suspect the Big Sky will move there after its contract with Reno is up.

Las Vegas is a better venue to schmooze potential donors.  That's the real reason for picking Reno over Billings and Missoula.

The Maverik Center in Salt Lake or the 1st Bank Center in Denver would be the two best options for the tourney. Much better for both flights and drivability from a number of league schools. I think the tourney would also benefit from moving earlier so at least get the final on ESPN or ESPN2.  Maybe run Thursday through Tuesday.

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:28 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Las Vegas is a better venue to schmooze potential donors.  That's the real reason for picking Reno over Billings and Missoula.

I don't disagree with your first sentiment but Vegas had zero interest in actually courting another tournament and didn't put in any sort of bid. Reno went all out and had the attitude of making the tournament an event, not just something else going on to get lost in the shuffle like it would be in Vegas and they had a pretty aggressive bid to get it. From what I heard, they did a really good job of following through on their promises. Unfortunately they can't make fans show up and it will always be tough in a league that is spread out like the Big Sky is. No one expected a home run year 1, the hope is that word spreads on how well the tournament was put on and it grows in years 2 and 3.

My personal opinion is I'd be more likely to go if it was in Vegas but I believe the conference made the right choice out of cities that chose to bid (Reno, Missoula, Ogden, Flagstaff, Spokane/Cheney, Greeley/Loveland, and Billings).