SiouxSports.com Forum

Start Dancing

darell1976

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

who gets fired after transitioning from DII to DI

That is funny as hell coming from the guy who started the "Fire Jones" thread halfway through UND's second full D-1 season in a year they made the conference championship after making the semi's the first year. That's not even mentioning the multiple "Fire Muss" threads you started during UND's football transition. At least be consistent...

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Did Nagy make the NCAA tournament in his 4th year out of the transition, as it appears?  Since it's obvious that the comments in here were made to promote Jones vs. Nagy and their histories, UND should be putting on their dancing shoes Saturday night.  

Yes and I hope UND does as well. Let's see if Q can channel his inner Nate Wolters.

I think the point being made is that some people were lauding Nagy while forgetting that there were SDSU fans calling for him to be fired well before he had a chance to make the NCAA tournament (I assume). Nagy obviously built up some goodwill in the D-II days that Jones didn't which likely played a big part in SDSU's decision making process.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Since Nagy made the NCAA tournament in his 4th year out of the transition, as it appears, and it's obvious that the comments in this thread were made to promote Jones vs. Nagy and their histories, UND should be putting on their dancing shoes Saturday night.  

That would be great. To the chagrin of many on this board. Queue the outrage over that blasphemous assumption. 

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

That would be great. To the chagrin of many on this board. Queue the outrage over that blasphemous assumption. 

You really believe the anti-Jones fans want us to lose so Jones will be replaced? That is pure horse crap. All of us want the men's team to do what the women's team did a couple of years ago. I just won't put any money on it happening this year.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Fair point.  I want nothing more than UND Mens BB to make the tourney, trust me.  But, I have also been vocal in my doubting of Jones coaching/leadership abilities.  

I would love to be proven wrong by seeing them in the dance.  

• Upvote 3

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:21 AM, teamsioux said:

ESPN stated 21 years during the game.

Aaron Johnston has also been coaching the SDSU women for 16-17 years.  They are also going dancing this year.

Your comment regarding an "awful for the first 5 years of DI" followed the above post.  Were you not referring to Johnston? 

39 minutes ago, UND92,96 said:

I believe Nagy's .780 winning percentage in nine years as a dII coach at SDSU bought him more time than most coaches would have gotten under the circumstances. 

No doubt. 

In Jones' two years coaching in the NCC (2006-2008), he went 26–32. In Jones' four years coaching in the Great West (2008-2012), he went 60–64. 

Nagy won as a DII coach but struggled during the transition; however, Jones relatively struggled with both a DII schedule and transitioning DI schedule. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

That is funny as hell coming from the guy who started the "Fire Jones" thread halfway through UND's second full D-1 season in a year they made the conference championship after making the semi's the first year. That's not even mentioning the multiple "Fire Muss" threads you started during UND's football transition. At least be consistent...

Yes and I hope UND does as well. Let's see if Q can channel his inner Nate Wolters.

I think the point being made is that some people were lauding Nagy while forgetting that there were SDSU fans calling for him to be fired well before he had a chance to make the NCAA tournament (I assume). Nagy obviously built up some goodwill in the D-II days that Jones didn't which likely played a big part in SDSU's decision making process.

First it was one thread not multiple, And look where the football program ended up keeping Muss as long as they did? Bubba is still cleaning up that mess that was made. I re-read the first post of the Fire Jones thread posted Jan 2014, it was to divert the fire Jones comments (other people's not jut mine) out of game threads. Firing after transition which for UND would've been the end of the 2011-2012 season and wanting him gone halfway through the 2013-14 season is different, especially when he wasn't accomplishing anything with a senior ridden team, not many road wins, horrible OOC record, and at that time was very bad after being picked towards the top with all the senior talent hype going on. Again you bash me and pump up Jones. I wish we could talk about teams dancing and not this Jones BS.

Edited by darell1976
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/14331-fire-mussman/?do=findComment&comment=465455
http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15920-fire-muss/?do=findComment&comment=513980

That's two during transition but who's counting? I didn't bash you or pump up Jones, I merely pointed out my amusement by irony from what I thought was an incredibly hypocritical statement. But whatever, I'm sure you'll continue to go around downvoting my posts since I'm guessing makes you feel better.

I forgot about that first one since it was just for the 2010 season and if you read the first post it doesn't say I wanted him fired. Of course Muss did a bang up job in 2010 winning 3 whole games. You always pump up Jones over any replacement possibility, I am just glad other people see it, and you can bash my posts about it and ignore others if it makes you warm and fuzzy inside.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I forgot about that first one since it was just for the 2010 season and if you read the first post it doesn't say I wanted him fired. Of course Muss did a bang up job in 2010 winning 3 whole games. You always pump up Jones over any replacement possibility, I am just glad other people see it, and you can bash my posts about it and ignore others if it makes you warm and fuzzy inside.

"I don't want him fired I just named the thread Fire Mussman." -darell  :lol:

Please point out where I have "pumped up" Jones over a replacement. I've been critical of him while also putting into context his finishes and the other things he has dealt with. Did I hope for better results? Of course. But my stance has been that there are things that will be considered beyond on the court performance whether people want to understand that or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

"I don't want him fired I just named the thread Fire Mussman." -darell  :lol:

Please point out where I have "pumped up" Jones over a replacement. I've been critical of him while also putting into context his finishes and the other things he has dealt with. Did I hope for better results? Of course. But my stance has been that there are things that will be considered beyond on the court performance whether people want to understand that or not.

Enough of this Merry-go-round, people can judge your posts and you can comment on their posts or not.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If I am wrong, I will admit it. I will gladly eat crow if this team can win the Big Sky tournament and go dancing at a tournament other than the CIT.

Even if they don't go dancing this year, this team already has exceeded my realistic expectations as to what I thought they would do this year, given its new players, youth and inexperience. Next  year, with very few personnel losses and the additions of perimeter sharpshooter Wheeler, that 6-8 PF kid out of Washington State and the return of Cashman, my expectations will be nothing short of a date in the Big Sky Tournament finals and a good shot at our first tourney bid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Even if they don't go dancing this year, this team already has exceeded my realistic expectations as to what I thought they would do this year, given its new players, youth and inexperience. Next  year, with very few personnel losses and the additions of perimeter sharpshooter Wheeler, that 6-8 PF kid out of Washington State and the return of Cashman, my expectations will be nothing short of a date in the Big Sky Tournament finals and a good shot at our first tourney bid.

Although there is a bunch of potential there, let's remember what happened with all the hype after the 2012-2013 season.

In 2012-2013, UND had a team loaded with very good juniors (Huff, Webb, Anderson, Nash, etc.). They made it to the Big Sky Conference tournament semi-finals vs. Weber State (no different than what is happening today for UND MBB) and nearly won. The season was an average one at 16-17 (12-8), but the hope was the team would be that much better in 2013-2014. Never happened.

That 2013-2014 senior-laden team went 17-17 (12-8) again and showed very little to no signs of improvement. For that reason (history tends to repeat itself), I'm holding off on the "next year will be so much better" talk. Jones didn't improve that team when, theoretically, it should've been better. 

UND needs to focus on the present, because there's no guarantee that next year will be any easier or any better. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Although there is a bunch of potential there, let's remember what happened with all the hype after the 2012-2013 season.

In 2012-2013, UND had a team loaded with very good juniors (Huff, Webb, Anderson, Nash, etc.). They made it to the Big Sky Conference tournament semi-finals vs. Weber State (no different than what is happening today for UND MBB) and nearly won. The season was an average one at 16-17 (12-8), but the hope was the team would be that much better in 2013-2014. Never happened.

That 2013-2014 senior-laden team went 17-17 (12-8) again and showed very little to no signs of improvement. For that reason (history tends to repeat itself), I'm holding off on the "next year will be so much better" talk. Jones didn't improve that team when, theoretically, it should've been better. 

UND needs to focus on the present, because there's no guarantee that next year will be any easier or any better. 

No disagreement with the history at all. And absolutely no disagreement with focusing on the present.  UND can't worry about the past, either, though.  

I'm just saying the present is playing out way better than I thought it would be at the start of the year, even after the successful European run.  And the future looks promising.  Go Hawks!

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but don't forget all the injuries that happened that last year.  Brekke out the entire year which was huge,  Schuler missed a bunch of games including the conference finals,  Webb was injured conference finals ( played first couple minutes) with knee injury and Nash was playing with a torn knee muscle in the finals also.  A certain black cloud hung over this group their senior years that if all healthy would have possibly been dancing then and definitely a much better record. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, sioux2013 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but don't forget all the injuries that happened that last year.  Brekke out the entire year which was huge,  Schuler missed a bunch of games including the conference finals,  Webb was injured conference finals ( played first couple minutes) with knee injury and Nash was playing with a torn knee muscle in the finals also.  A certain black cloud hung over this group their senior years that if all healthy would have possibly been dancing then and definitely a much better record. 

Good points; however, that group of Huff, Webb, Anderson, Nash, Brekke, etc. could never beat Weber State, home or away. For that reason, regardless of health, UND was not going to make the dance. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:42 PM, ArtVandalay said:

Just cleaning some things up on the topic. Someone mentioned 21-7 in 2004-05. Nagy barely survived those transition years. I remember it well. 

As one would expect, when the SDSU men went into the tank in the early transition years, some fans started the customary "fire the coach" talk.  I always thought Nagy's job was very secure as far as the administration was concerned.  He had an excellent record in DII. 

When SDSU left DII, Nagy was snake-bit:  we lost an outstanding guard who transferred to DII, we lost the NCC freshman player of the year to serious illness, a top recruit from Illinois had a season-ending injury (he then transferred out and played at U of Illinois); one player was accused of sexual assault and a second player was implicated as an accessory so they were both dismissed from the team (the guy charged took it to a trial and was acquitted, then played for a junior college in California followed by a couple good seasons as Kansas State).  In the 05-06 season, Nagy had eight players so he begged four athletes from the football team to join the basketball roster...good idea but didn't amount to a lot. 

I was impressed that Nagy didn't fire SDSU by moving on. 

I think SDSU's transition was "unique" and probably cannot be used to shed any light on the experience of any other school.  Man, it was tough going to Frost in those years.

On Mike Daum:  Daum had an offer from Wyoming and from several DII schools but he clicked with Coach Nagy's staff.  His parents were college athletes -- I have been told his mother still holds scoring records as a basketball player for Wyoming.  He spent his redshirt year in the weight room and it really paid off.  We've watched him improve each game this season.  He is still working on his defense but if he can keep on anything close to the current trajectory, I won't be surprised if as a senior, he'll be called the best ever at SDSU.

I really like Daum's press interviews.  He is very articulate and doesn't talk in the usual cliches that most athletes seem to use in interviews.

Added: I understand Coach Nagy thinks highly of your coach Jones. (Yeah, there's a reason for that: UND gives SDSU fits on the hardcourt.) I've heard him in conversations be very complimentary of Jones.  Nagy doesn't say stuff like that unless he is sincere about it.

• Upvote 1