SiouxSports.com Forum

Check out the new Logo concepts by Gridiron Labs

GLABS

Check out Fighting Hawks logo and uniforms concepts from sports brand designers Gridiron Labs that deliver a true transition brand for backers of the Fighting Sioux nickname.  The full package along with logo stories can be checked out here:  bit.ly/1R1qTuP 

Cb_8QX1UkAAuknU.jpg

Cb_8QUhUEAEHdu6.jpg

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

While I like your concepts, I don't understand the reason behind doing them.  Is it just for fun or are you working in conjunction with SME, Inc?

Yeah, that was my question, too. So, doing this independently means what? UND already signed the contract with SME, right?

1 hour ago, GLABS said:

Check out Fighting Hawks logo and uniforms concepts from sports brand designers Gridiron Labs that deliver a true transition brand for backers of the Fighting Sioux nickname.  The full package along with logo stories can be checked out here:  bit.ly/1R1qTuP 

Cb_8QX1UkAAuknU.jpg

Cb_8QUhUEAEHdu6.jpg

Sioux forever guy here....however I do like those.  Best I've seen yet.

If I was to constructively criticize, I would add some color.  And think about changing something with that circle (I'm guessing the item which would hold the feathers). 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

It actually looks pretty cool but I don't think they could get away with the feathers looking to Native American

I used to think UND may have to try and avoid this but after thinking about it, how does the NCAA come back and say the feathers for a bird mascot look too much like feathers from a bird?  Would they have traction with that?

• Upvote 2

Dear GLABS, 

1. You're late to the game.
Thanks for coming out, but you've wasted your time and resources (unless you're SME flying a trial balloon). 

2. You've failed when you arrived: 
"They all are incorporating some element of the old Fighting Sioux logo onto the Fighting Hawks," Schafer said. "And we're not going there."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The issue isn't a bird with feathers.

The issue is a bird wearing a native head dress. That circle feature at the intersection of those feathers is clearly trying to give the feel of a head dress. Pull that circle feature out and it would probably pass as a hawk on a bad hair day. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, homer said:

I used to think UND may have to try and avoid this but after thinking about it, how does the NCAA come back and say the feathers for a bird mascot look too much like feathers from a bird?  Would they have traction with that?

1 hour ago, siouxstudent said:

There should be absolutely zero issue with a feather on a logo of a bird, and if there is then WOW is all I can say.

In this day in age I wouldn't put it past them, cuz everyone has the right to be offeneded or some sh*t like that. I like it, I might actually think about buying a jersey with that on

1 hour ago, siouxstudent said:

There should be absolutely zero issue with a feather on a logo of a bird, and if there is then WOW is all I can say.

Correct.

This seems to get brought up all the time and people point to William and Mary.

The difference is they kept their name and removed Native American Imagery.

A bird has feathers a Tribe does not.....especially when the definition of Tribe used by William and Mary is not to define a Native American group.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dear GLABS, 

1. You're late to the game.
Thanks for coming out, but you've wasted your time and resources (unless you're SME flying a trial balloon). 

2. You've failed when you arrived: 
"They all are incorporating some element of the old Fighting Sioux logo onto the Fighting Hawks," Schafer said. "And we're not going there."

Be nice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

A hawk is a bird.  A bird has feathers.  I doubt the NCAA would take any action. 

I like this logo design.  Get 'er done!

I think it all depends on how those feathers are depicted and arranged.   the sicatoka already pointed out one modification needed to make these look more natural and less "headdress".   That's the key

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

While I like your concepts, I don't understand the reason behind doing them.  Is it just for fun or are you working in conjunction with SME, Inc?

I suspect that if these guys overhear you mention that you're hungry, they'll cater your dinner without being asked or paid.  Just don't say anything about feeling frisky. ;)