SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (8-6) vs PSU (5-9)

SWSiouxMN

I like Avants alot.  One of the best things about him is that when he gets an entry pass down on the block he knows what he's going to do immediately and he moves so fast the defender barely has time to react.  Doesn't waste time dribbling or backing his defender down.  Doesn't allow for a double team to converge on him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I still can't believe how well Avants has adjusted to the college game, especially as an undersized inside player. The look on the opposing, taller post players faces when he forces them to pass out to the perimeter or blocks their shots or when he schools the same players for a bucket underneath is almost worth the price of admission.

And we hope he's in the lineup today.  Any info on the ankle? 

15 minutes ago, sprig said:

And we hope he's in the lineup today.  Any info on the ankle? 

No. He did come back and played well after hurting it. But ankles do have a tendency to swell up after the fact.  We'll see.  Wondering about Seales, too. He warmed up on Thursday night but did not play. 

3 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Shanks is shooting over 50% because he has turned the ball over almost every time he gets the ball down low

There is nothing I have seen in him that a 24 point games is on the horizon unless UND plays GFC soon.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

There is nothing I have seen in him that a 24 point games is on the horizon unless UND plays GFC soon.

He dropped 16 on 7-9 shooting in 26 minutes last month. The motion offense UND runs doesn't exactly feature post players, so that doesn't help.

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He dropped 16 on 7-9 shooting in 26 minutes last month. 

I have shot under par on occasion  the last couple summers but I'm far from being a "real" golfer.

Avants is a much better option despite his height for a post player.

54 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I have shot under par on occasion  the last couple summers but I'm far from being a "real" golfer.

Avants is a much better option despite his height for a post player.

Little bit of a difference between scoring well from the whites at your local CC and Division1 basketball. I've never done either but I know which one I will get closer to doing in my lifetime.

Avants works better in certain parts of the offense than Shanks without a doubt, but they both have their spots. On the defensive end, Avants has gotten eaten up by taller guys but fares well against quicker ones, again both have their spots (I'm in no way knocking Avants on this either, he's been a huge surprise to me). The majority of Shanks' issues right now are mental and listening to him talk, he's aware of it. He also has 2+ years left and has plenty of time to figure it out. That's not even bringing up the fact that he is easily one of the best locker room guys on the team.

39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Little bit of a difference between scoring well from the whites at your local CC and Division1 basketball. I've never done either but I know which one I will get closer to doing in my lifetime.

Avants works better in certain parts of the offense than Shanks without a doubt, but they both have their spots. On the defensive end, Avants has gotten eaten up by taller guys but fares well against quicker ones, again both have their spots (I'm in no way knocking Avants on this either, he's been a huge surprise to me). The majority of Shanks' issues right now are mental and listening to him talk, he's aware of it. He also has 2+ years left and has plenty of time to figure it out. That's not even bringing up the fact that he is easily one of the best locker room guys on the team.

Hmmmmmm.......ok. If Shanks was 6'6" he would just be a tall guy teeing it up from the whites.......not playing college BB.  You citing one game doesn't do much for me. Right now he is an offensive liability and defensively is chronically in foul trouble.