SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (7-6) vs UNC (5-8)

SWSiouxMN

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Why is UND in bounding the ball to Bernstein in a fouling situation?  He is a bad free throw shooter and should be nowhere near the ball.

simple he is a big target and the other team is leaving him open and covering everyone else and you only have 5 seconds to get it in...very simple

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I call total BS on The Betty sicing the ushers on the student section. I talked to a securityguard andhe said is was The Betty staff thatmade the request.

You surprised? Really? Santiago was crowd surfing......... that's a huge liability issue if he or someone gets hurt.

Was their best "cheer" by far though.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

so.....why did Mr. Security Guard feel the need to talk to our "cheerleaders" after the UNC free throws?  

My God, what a freaking shame. They finally get some students (albeit majority ftbl players) at the game but 4 ushers and 1 security guard have to dampen the spirits.   

• Upvote 2

Two major observations from yesterday's ball game and, unfortunately, they both are negative:

1) Shanks is not a good basketball player right now. He should not start and should be demoted to a low-minutes bench player. He looks horribly uncomfortable when he touches the ball and is a huge turnover liability. Sit him down, Jones.

2) What is with Jones' teams not knowing how to finish? Saw it against NDSU. Saw it against Montana. Saw it against UNC on the road. And, now again, see it against UNC at home. Fortunately, this time UND pulled it out, but just barely. I'm sorry, but all this does is yet fortify by belief that Jones is not a top DI basketball coach; however, some of this players (Hooker, Crandall, etc.) fortunately are more than capable. 

I will add in one positive to even the observations a bit:

The atmosphere in the Betty was tremendous. The recent home wins obviously help, but so does the "fun atmosphere" produced by the students and football players. Countless times yesterday the crowd was entertained by the football players just as much as the action on the court. This shows how important the little things are to general crowd building. The Alerus Center is where this is desperately lacking. Hopefully next football season this is improved with quality effort from the UND marketing/game day staffs. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thank goodness McDermott hit both of his free throws.

Good grief, like someone said: up 8 with the ball with a minute to play and they have to score 6 to win by 1. 

No. Game. Management. 

What really surprised me was #0 wanted nothing to do with the ball with a minute and change left in the game. Normally a PG is begging for the ball.......but when he missed both FTs of a double bonus prior to that I guess that had something to do with it.

I went back and watched the in-bounds play where Drick B. ended up with the ball and was fouled immediately.  

UND was up 68-63 with 1:02 left.  Drick in-bounds the ball to Geno but for some reason he threw it back to Drick within a second.  So Drick brought it up and got fouled at midcourt.  The problem lied a few places.

1. Geno should not have thrown it back to Drick at all.  Bring the ball up the court - you're the point guard!  He wasn't being doubled or anything.  Or get fouled.  I realize he missed a couple himself but he is a 75% FT shooter.
  2. Drick should not have been in bounding the ball.  He should be at the other end hidden in the corner.  Why?  Cause he shoots 51% from FT line.  Or he in bounds the ball and gets out of there immediately bringing his guy with him.
  3. Hooker, Geno and McDermott all shoot over 75% from the FT line.  Those three should be running the in bounds plays at the end with the other two floating around half court in case.  

What happened then was Drick missed, UNC comes down and buries a 3 and we have a two point game.  HUGE swing from possibly 7 to 2 instead.  

I know it's easy for me to sit and here second guess. But that play right there sums up a few issues that have been happening at the end of games where UND pisses away the lead.  

Vs. Weber, UND hit most all their free throws and didn't make these mistakes, however.  That was played to perfection at the end.

39 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I went back and watched the in-bounds play where Drick B. ended up with the ball and was fouled immediately.  

UND was up 68-63 with 1:02 left.  Drick in-bounds the ball to Geno but for some reason he threw it back to Drick within a second.  So Drick brought it up and got fouled at midcourt.  The problem lied a few places.

1. Geno should not have thrown it back to Drick at all.  Bring the ball up the court - you're the point guard!  He wasn't being doubled or anything.  Or get fouled.  I realize he missed a couple himself but he is a 75% FT shooter.
  2. Drick should not have been in bounding the ball.  He should be at the other end hidden in the corner.  Why?  Cause he shoots 51% from FT line.  Or he in bounds the ball and gets out of there immediately bringing his guy with him.
  3. Hooker, Geno and McDermott all shoot over 75% from the FT line.  Those three should be running the in bounds plays at the end with the other two floating around half court in case.  

What happened then was Drick missed, UNC comes down and buries a 3 and we have a two point game.  HUGE swing from possibly 7 to 2 instead.  

I know it's easy for me to sit and here second guess. But that play right there sums up a few issues that have been happening at the end of games where UND pisses away the lead.  

Vs. Weber, UND hit most all their free throws and didn't make these mistakes, however.  That was played to perfection at the end.

I actually like Drick inbounding because of his height and he's a good passer. Short of that, he shouldn't be touching the ball in that situation. Probably safe to guess Geno was rattled from missing the previous free throws but if that is the case, pull yourself, don't give the ball to someone who's a bad free throw shooter. Wonder if UNC wasn't even planning on fouling until Drick got the ball. It becomes a no brainer for them at that point.