SiouxSports.com Forum

No Apparel Deal

UND-FB-FAN

In theory, UND could sign a contract with Nike and be set with all programs.

For example, the Univeristy of Minnesota has a deal with Nike, which supplies uniforms, equipment, apparel, etc. As for gloves and skates, appears most UM players wear Bauer.

Of course, with Reebok, there's the Adidas option, and that seems like the most practical option. Interestingly enough, the University of Wisconsin has a contract with Adidas and the hockey program does not sport Reebok (the hockey jerseys are Adidas). Also, Under Armour produces hockey apparel with their deals, also (see Boston College).

Either way, UND athletics needs to ink an apparel contract with one of the big three soon (Adidas, Nike, or Under Armour). If South Dakota State and USD can sign department-wide apparel deals, then UND with the marketing capability of men's hockey certainly can too. 

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In theory, UND could sign a contract with Nike and be set with all programs.

For example, the Univeristy of Minnesota has a deal with Nike, which supplies uniforms, equipment, apparel, etc. As for gloves and skates, appears most UM players wear Bauer.

Of course, with Reebok, there's the Adidas option, and that seems like the most practical option. Interestingly enough, the University of Wisconsin has a contract with Adidas and the hockey program does not sport Reebok (the hockey jerseys are Adidas). Also, Under Armour produces hockey apparel with their deals, also (see Boston College).

Either way, UND athletics needs to ink an apparel contract with one of the big three soon (Adidas, Nike, or Under Armour). If South Dakota State and USD can sign department-wide apparel deals, then UND with the marketing capability of men's hockey certainly can too. 

I thought they signed with Adidas a year or two ago, and Jones refused to move to Adidas.

Didn't Wisconsin leave Adidas for Nike last year?

32 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I thought they signed with Adidas a year or two ago, and Jones refused to move to Adidas.

Didn't Wisconsin leave Adidas for Nike last year?

There was no department-wide Adidas deal to my knowledge, and I think it partly was because of Jones' ridiculous views. It needs to happen; contracts exponentially expand the variety and overall supply of uniforms, apparel, and equipment. 

The Wisconsin deal is with Under Armour and it takes effect in July 2016. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/university-of-wisconsins-badgers-pick-under-armour-as-adidas-contract-expires-1444337014

On February 12, 2016 at 0:40 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

As college athletic programs across the country begin to establish apparel deals with top companies - namely Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour - I can't help but notice the departmental inconsistency that currently exists within UND Athletics. This needs to be fixed in my opinion. 

UND hockey dons Reebok, which is owned by Adidas, the company that every other program at UND wears with one exception - men's basketball. The benefits of a department-wide deal versus just a program deal are well-established; because of the modern nature of college athletics, recruits [really] care about these things. Local programs with deals include NDSU with Nike, South Dakota State with Under Armour, and South Dakota with Adidas. There are also several programs within the Big Sky Conference, such as Montana State with Under Armour and Eastern Washington with Adidas. Brian Faison needs to get a deal done; right now, the current state of apparel within UND athletics suggests a lack of focus on sports other than hockey - particularly since hockey has its situation figured out with Reebok. For the record, UND men's basketball wears Nike. 

Bubba and his staff made one of the "largest little changes" by establishing an Adidas identity. Now, its time UND men's basketball do the same. 

Are you sure NDSU had a Nike deal? I've never seen them listed like Montana is. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Are you sure NDSU had a Nike deal? I've never seen them listed like Montana is. 

I believe there is a football program deal in place, not a department-wide deal. NDSU football does have a deal with Nike for their uniforms; they are supposedly unique (via font) to only NDSU and not a generic format accessible to other programs. 

http://965thefox.com/ndsu-reveals-new-green-home-football-jerseys/

Again, in this regard, UND football and Bubba deserve credit because they have a similar deal in place with Adidas. With that said, a department-wide deal with Adidas would definitely be preferential. 

On 2/13/2016 at 7:41 PM, bison73 said:

Why are they allowing the BB team from holding up a deal that will benefit the Athletic dept as a whole?

I'm still waiting for any sort of proof that a department wide deal is available and that Jones is the only person holding that up. 

Faison is a smart man financially, I don't see him allowing a single coach to derail an allegedly massive department wide deal. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I'm still waiting for any sort of proof that a department wide deal is available and that Jones is the only person holding that up. 

Faison is a smart man financially, I don't see him allowing a single coach to derail an allegedly massive department wide deal. 

Good points!

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

Its not so much a department wide deal, black and white.  More kind of a deal where the teams get more perks, etc.  If UND was a bigger school with more exposure it would all or nothing.  

But, the issue is that MBB won't wear Adidas because they are "a Nike team".  Which is laughable that they feel they can pledge allegiance to one brand.  

Not all sports are doing Adidas cause for some its not worth it, like baseball.  Other companies are better for that sport.  But basketball isn't in that boat.  Adidas is damn good for BB and FB.  

• Upvote 1

Just a hypothetical, as I could see this as being another reason to hate on Coach Jones, but there is another possibility.  Perhaps Jones has a friendship or acquaintance with Nike.  It is possible that person is giving Jones a great deal on apparel.  I don't know the numbers, but I agree with above poster, that if the money was substantial Faison would have forced the deal. 

10 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

I think most players would tell you they would rather wear nike shoes. Adidas was late to the game with the ultra light high top (Nike hyperdunks) and dropped the ball again as players went back to low top shoes. When it comes to basketball, Nike has far superior shoes. 

Can you imagine how great Kansas, Louisville, Wisconsin, and Michigan would be, then, if they had Nike? Wow!

[sarcasm intended]

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article65167647.html

WR coach Danny Freund of UND football posted the above link on Twitter; he also mentioned how apparel deals have an impact on branding and recruiting, as you would imagine. 

I still strongly think the entire UND athletics department should be under contract with a single supplier to maximize benefits. Unfortunate that UND MBB doesn't see it this way; Faison may need to interject. 

“This long-term relationship offers us the opportunity to outfit our teams and scholar-athletes in game-changing products while aligning Davidson with a brand that is a recognized leader in innovation,” Wildcats athletics director Jim Murphy said.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:15 PM, MafiaMan said:

Adidas for UND basketball jerseys?  Have you noticed the prom cummerbund look being sported this season by the likes of Wisconsin, Michigan and Louisville?  

NO THANKS!

56e242b344135.image.jpg?resize=300%2C212

brutal. hang tough Coach Jones.

For awhile during his first year back, Bubba was wearing the ugliest looking jacket I have ever seen from Addidas. It looked like a Zubaz design. Embarrassing

I am all for an athletic department wide apparel/shoe deal as long as it is Under Armour or Nike and if hockey doesn't want to go that way I am fine with that but we shouldn't force the Addidas crap on everyone else just because hockey is Reebok.

• Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, petey23 said:

56e242b344135.image.jpg?resize=300%2C212

brutal. hang tough Coach Jones.

For awhile during his first year back, Bubba was wearing the ugliest looking jacket I have ever seen from Addidas. It looked like a Zubaz design. Embarrassing

I am all for an athletic department wide apparel/shoe deal as long as it is Under Armour or Nike and if hockey doesn't want to go that way I am fine with that but we shouldn't force the Addidas crap on everyone else just because hockey is Reebok.

While I agree with you that there are some horrid designs out there, you have to look at the big picture. Its not all about how pretty they look; an department-wide deal would supply UND with more uniform options, gear, and team apparel, Right now, very little is supplied to the basketball team due to a lack of agreement (UND men's basketball has no deal with Nike). The recruiting and branding capabilities of a program is ENHANCED with apparel contracts. Ignoring this is pretty short-sighted.

As for Adidas and poor-looking designs, the photos below are from a few Adidas-sponsored small schools (like what UND would be) that wear what I would call very clean cut, classic uniforms (Sacramento State, Eastern Michigan, South Dakota). An overall apparel deal is the way UND needs to go. Brian Faison needs to recognize this and capitalize. 

c1bf2114-8bf9-11e5-a63a-8526c3da189e-780

usa-today-8277375.0.jpg

4a66da7b-5d8b-40dd-82b5-bd465dd3aed0.jpg

• Upvote 1

As for Adidas and poor-looking designs, the photos below are from a few Adidas-sponsored small schools (like what UND would be) that wear what I would call very clean cut, classic uniforms (Sacramento State, Eastern Michigan, South Dakota). An overall apparel deal is the way UND needs to go. Brian Faison needs to recognize this and capitalize. 

All the moreso in the current State budget situation.