SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

20 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

The girls would love to play on the Olympic...it gave them a lot of exposer as fans would wonder over between boys games to catch some hockey and it was a great atmosphere as the place would be packed.  

Your right, 10am is no different then many sports but it is different for this sport which hasn't done it for 50+ years of the tournament...you missing the point...it's not that they are, it is why they are.  The Duluth men played a playoff game in the afternoon while the women played at night a couple years ago. 

Surely you have heard of the lawsuit going on now between the former womens coach at Duluth and the University?

But it isn't new and they have played games that early before (and its happened many times if you look past the first round). On top of that, this exact scenario happened in 2012 except for the NDHS girls used the Olympic instead of the Purpur. UND women had WCHA 1st round games that were played in the afternoon in between the two sessions of hockey. Kind of throws a wrench in whatever point you're trying to make?

As for what's going on in Duluth, it wasn't in the last 3 years that they provide on their site, so you'll have fill me in on the year. But then it would pre-date any lawsuit, so I'm not sure how that would be relevant?

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

But it isn't new and they have played games that early before (and its happened many times if you look past the first round). On top of that, this exact scenario happened in 2012 except for the NDHS girls used the Olympic instead of the Purpur. UND women had WCHA 1st round games that were played in the afternoon in between the two sessions of hockey. Kind of throws a wrench in whatever point you're trying to make?

As for what's going on in Duluth, it wasn't in the last 3 years that they provide on their site, so you'll have fill me in on the year. But then it would pre-date any lawsuit, so I'm not sure how that would be relevant?

1st round has never played before noon, fact.  

Women played Bemidji in playoffs before at Purpur to make room for state high school, fact.  Your 2012 scenario is just a piece of the natural pregression of this issue.  And now you have this year...all part of the stranglehold the women's program is putting on this tournament...it progressively gets to be a bigger inconvenience to the tournament each year.  Can't you see this?  

Please google UMD womens hockey lawsuit...I am sure you will find a wealth of information on the subject or research Schlossman's blogs.  Good Grief!

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

ND State Tournament permanent location proposal:

Hockey - Grand Forks

Football - Fargo

Class A Basketball - Bismarck

Class B Basketball - Minot

Every major city gets a major sport state championship.  Everyone is happy. 

easy.jpg

"The B" should always be in Bismarck.

Thats as ingrained in North Dakota DNA as wheat, potatoes, and complaining.

FYI...by no means am I suggesting that Mr Idalski will become another Shannon Miller to our program.  I have no knowledge of that and am not suggesting that. I am just saying that history could repeat itself here and there are many other sources then the coaching staff that could make things hard on the Men's program and may already be undermining this state tournament to protect the womens program.

51 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

1st round has never played before noon, fact.  

Women played Bemidji in playoffs before at Purpur to make room for state high school, fact.  Your 2012 scenario is just a piece of the natural pregression of this issue.  And now you have this year...all part of the stranglehold the women's program is putting on this tournament...it progressively gets to be a bigger inconvenience to the tournament each year.  Can't you see this?  

Please google UMD womens hockey lawsuit...I am sure you will find a wealth of information on the subject or research Schlossman's blogs.  Good Grief!

Never before noon? Try again. The boys have at least twice the previous 5 tournaments and the girls have every year.

Thursday, February 26th, 2015 - 11:00 a.m. Bismarck High/Dickson - Veterans Arena (girls)
Thursday, February 20th, 2014 - 11:00 a.m. Bismarck/Mandan - Olympic Arena (girls)
Thursday, February 21st, 2013 - 11:00 a.m. West Fargo/Williston - Olympic Arena (girls)
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 - 10:00 a.m. Bismarck High/Fargo Davies - Ralph Engelstad Arena (boys), Fargo South/Williston - Olympic Arena (girls)
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 - 11:00 a.m. Bismarck Century/GF Central - Ralph Engelstad Arena (boys), West Fargo/Williston - Olympic Arena (girls)

The first round on the boys side is set up exactly like 2012. The girls side starts an hour later and plays at the Purpur (why that is, I don't know). How exactly is that becoming progressively more of an inconvenience when its the same as it has been before?

I'm well aware of what is going on in Duluth. I can't find the game you're talking about and it didn't happen in the last three seasons (if you could point me to it, that'd be great). There is also no mention of the scheduling of men's and women's hockey in the lawsuit your citing, though there is a laundry list of things.

Is your whole point that the women are getting to play at the REA because its unfair to make them play somewhere else? If so, I'd agree, so I'm not sure why the impact on the NDHSAA (which is minimal) is an issue. That is still a huge jump to claim that its the first step to getting night games over the men.

38 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

..all part of the stranglehold the women's program is putting on this tournament...

I know you believe it is all due to the UND Women's hockey team, but I am not quite as convinced...where could a person find the reasons given by the NDHSAA for moving the HS Tournament out of GF?

ill get roasted for this, but i think ksixpack greatly overvalues the impact of the state hockey tournament.  approximately 1% of the state could give 2 shites about it.  Just because GF closes down for the day, does not mean some pilgrimage from every corner of the state is made.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:
2 minutes ago, siouxjoy said:

I know you believe it is all due to the UND Women's hockey team, but I am not quite as convinced...where could a person find the reasons given by the NDHSAA for moving the HS Tournament out of GF?

$$$$$$$

Ticket Sales minus Arena Cost=Fargo

6 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

ill get roasted for this, but i think ksixpack greatly overvalues the impact of the state hockey tournament.  approximately 1% of the state could give 2 shites about it.  Just because GF closes down for the day, does not mean some pilgrimage from every corner of the state is made.

Agreed.  But a lot of hockey fans in Grand Forks do including me.  That said, are you going to tell me more then 1% of the state gives 2 shites about UND women's hockey?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Agreed.  But a lot of hockey fans in Grand Forks do including me.  That said, are you going to tell me more then 1% of the state gives 2 shites about UND women's hockey?

Nope, but its being held at The University of North Dakota, so i think it only makes sense that any UND event should have priority w/in the schedule.  Its up to the REA to make sure it can pay its bills. 

2 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

Nope, but its being held at The University of North Dakota, so i think it only makes sense that any UND event should have priority w/in the schedule.  Its up to the REA to make sure it can pay its bills. 

And that's a big problem? Do you really believe that? Please come up with a better rationale than that.

5 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

And the women's hockey program really pays its bills At UND?...get a clue ... There will be almost 20,000 fans that attend the  State hockey tournament and there be 300 that attend the Sioux women's playoff games!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

And the women's hockey program really pays its bills At UND?...get a clue ... There will be almost 20,000 fans that attend the  State hockey tournament and there be 300 that attend the Sioux women's playoff games!

Guess what, there will still be the same amount of fans at state hockey and without the added cost of UND having to pay to rent the Purpur for two or three games like 2011.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Guess what, there will still be the same amount of fans at state hockey and without the added cost of UND having to pay to rent the Purpur for two or three games like 2011.

you and I can rent the Purpur for $125 an hour.  there will be no fans and revenue in the future at REA for this tournament as it will be in Fargo because of this gong show scheduling around women's hockey

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxjoy said:

The Ralph has switched dates with Fargo already because of conflicting schedules.

55 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

you and I can rent the Purpur for $125 an hour.  there will be no fans and revenue in the future at REA for this tournament as it will be in Fargo because of this gong show scheduling around women's hockey

The scheduling has nothing to do with it, I've already pointed that out. It's cheaper to hold in Fargo but attendance is worse. The NDHSAA is aware of all possibilities when they schedule and that includes UND athletics having priority of the REA, which was the purpose of the gift. If you disagree, Jody Hodgson and his bosses (the REA Foundation, which Ralph's wife and daughter sit on) would be the ones to take it up with.

Them you bring up Title IX concerns in Duluth but would prefer UND unfairly moves the women's hockey games to somewhere else so you can sleep in an extra hour or two. 

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The scheduling has nothing to do with it, I've already pointed that out. It's cheaper to hold in Fargo but attendance is worse. The NDHSAA is aware of all possibilities when they schedule and that includes UND athletics having priority of the REA, which was the purpose of the gift. If you disagree, Jody Hodgson and his bosses (the REA Foundation, which Ralph's wife and daughter sit on) would be the ones to take it up with.

Them you bring up Title IX concerns in Duluth but would prefer UND unfairly moves the women's hockey games to somewhere else so you can sleep in an extra hour or two. 

Scheduling has everything to do with it.  Women's hockey having priority of the REA was not the purpose of the gift. I am certainly not for Title IX and its mandates.  Sleeping in an extra hour is the least of my worries, especially since I am up at 6 am every morning.  Seriously, where do people like you come from?  You are so interested in showing people how smart you are that you don't entirely read other peoples posts.

16 minutes ago, Cratter said:

What's the problem? why isn't everyone happy? 

All games will be at the Ralph this weekend and played. (Sorry I couldn't care less about HS womens hockey).

Am I missing something?

You covered it for me

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Cratter said:

What's the problem? why isn't everyone happy? 

All games will be at the Ralph this weekend and played. (Sorry I couldn't care less about HS womens hockey).

Am I missing something?

I didn't care about girls HS hockey either until I coached it for 6 years. Now that I'm done I have an appreciation for the work they put into it. With that said I'd much rather watch the boys.