SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-3) @ SUU (2-4)

SWSiouxMN

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I am in the camp that Shank's issues is more mental than anything else.  I don't know if a trip to the bench will help. I personally like Avants off the bench.

We have a lot of talent coming in from Our bench I hope they can all accept that role and how important it is.

12 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

How's Walthall in the handshake line?   

Maybe he could pull someone out of the handshake line for a little mano o mano ala Ben Blood and Joe Finley.... ah, but that's hockey and they had it coming, right?  Or maybe he could flip off the officials from the bench ala Hak..... or maybe he could tear his tie off almost every game and throw it on the court and get T'd up like Coach Brew likes to do.... ah, but it's different when your only two years removed from the Dance and there's a perception of winning, right? Like I've always said one man's embarrassment is another man's pride and joy  ... the only difference is their wins-and-losses line.  :lol:

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Maybe he could pull someone out of the handshake line for a little mano o mano ala Ben Blood and Joe Finley.... ah, but that's hockey and they had it coming, right?  Or maybe he could flip off the officials from the bench ala Hak..... or maybe he could tear his tie off almost every game and throw it on the court and get T'd up like Coach Brew likes to do.... ah, but it's different when your only two years removed from the Dance and there's a perception of winning, right? Like I've always said one man's embarrassment is another man's pride and joy  ... the only difference is their wins-and-losses line.  :lol:

I like the storm out on the court to confront the officials and get T'd up.... when the team is down 1 approach- Mike "I still hate Kentucky with all my being" Davis

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Yes, Jones is a genius. He has them playing against Big Sky teams. They should have beaten both of those teams this weekend. 

Hey, I'm as big a Jones basher as there is but gotta tip one's cap when Fighting Sioux hoops wins conf games on the road, regardless of the opponent.   Unlike most seasons, he must be doing something right latterly (at least the past 5 - 6 games) save for a couple of choke jobs to ndsu and mont. Heck, ndsu should of never lost (at least not on paper) that football game at home nonetheless (never mind on the road) vs the coyotes so surprised you don't know better.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

The Blood and Finley incidents were an embarrassment to the school.  I can't disagree with the rest.

I say it's more likely that the team is winning despite Jones.  He has recruited some good talent from winning programs.  And just some good athletes/basketball players.  If he were a good coach, I don't think you'd see same issues constantly after timeouts or down the stretch in close games. Those are moments the coach gets paid for.  These last two wins were nice, but our guys are just better than the competition and should have beaten them soundly. And did!  Onto the next one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

Let's not get too carried away guys. It's not like NAU or SUU are very good teams. We won a couple road games that we should have.

First post???  Hmmmm..... probably just a BV troll making another rousing debut on here... and you gave 'em what they wanted -- a response. Oh well.

So let me get this straight when we lose it's because of Jones, when we win it's despite Jones - got it. (For the record I'm fine with going in a different direction when the contract is up - just want it to be orderly and well-planned so we don't lose any players).

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

So let me get this straight when we lose it's because of Jones, when we win it's despite Jones - got it. (For the record I'm fine with going in a different direction when the contract is up - just want it to be orderly and well-planned so we don't lose any players).

I am waiting until the end of the season to judge whether or not we are turning it around, but I am pleased with our play so far this season. The next hurdle will be beating the top teams in the conference (Weber being the biggest hurdle).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If UND can't consistently beat Montana and Weber State (typical top teams of the BSC), who cares if they blow out SUU and NAU? Sounds like some people are just searching for any glimmer of hope they can find.

I agree they need to do that but the way they won these two games, especially the NAU game, was impressive. Yes they are the bottom teams of the BSC but people, including myself, have been pretty optimistic about the football teams recent season and they haven't been able to beat EWU yet and haven't been able to consistently beat the Montana's. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I agree they need to do that but the way they won these two games, especially the NAU game, was impressive. Yes they are the bottom teams of the BSC but people, including myself, have been pretty optimistic about the football teams recent season and they haven't been able to beat EWU yet and haven't been able to consistently beat the Montana's. 

Bubba improving his team from 3-8 to 5-7 to 7-4 in only two years of work is tremendously different from Brian Jones and his 10 year UND record of 137-162 (57-66).

My point is simple: Brian Jones should not still have the opportunity to coach UND men's basketball. He has a proven track record of mediocre to poor results. 

UND football under Bubba, on the other hand, is steadily improving.

EDIT: If UND men's basketball continues with this success and finishes with a real nice winning record, then Jones may deserve more time to prove he can turn around UND basketball. However, he's had 9+ seasons to do that already so what suggests he will suddenly do that now? I do not see it happening in terms of a Jones-led UND MBB team ever making the NCAA tournament. 

• Upvote 1

I like the way this team is playing right now.

I have not wavered from what I said prior to the season. I do  not care where the media picked us and I do  not care where the coaches picked us. Anything less than top 4 in regular season and/or Big Sky tournament and it is time to make a change. It's his program to own and he has had 10 years to build it so I don't care for excuses regarding youth and inexperience because that is part of the job requirement and recruiting philosophy. I hope we continue playing well and get an NCAA berth by winning the Big sky tourney this year or making a serious run at it as I am pretty sure there are quite a few coaches who would like to take over this team next year assuming no one leaves if we did make a coaching move.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba improving his team from 3-8 to 5-7 to 7-4 in only two years of work is tremendously different from Brian Jones and his 10 year UND record of 137-162 (57-66).

My point is simple: Brian Jones should not still have the opportunity to coach UND men's basketball. He has a proven track record of mediocre to poor results. 

UND football under Bubba, on the other hand, is steadily improving.

EDIT: If UND men's basketball continues with this success and finishes with a real nice winning record, then Jones may deserve more time to prove he can turn around UND basketball. However, he's had 9+ seasons to do that already so what suggests he will suddenly do that now? I do not see it happening in terms of a Jones-led UND MBB team ever making the NCAA tournament. 

Oh trust me I'm not Jones-apologist I just enjoy the way this TEAM is playing. 

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Well, coaches do lose games, and players win them.  (But according to Jones, this team was a disgrace when it played UNI.)  And good coaches put their team into position to win close games.  Not trying to start argument.  Stating that most coaches take blame for their losses and let their players take credit for the win.  This team is getting much better in all aspects.  And some of that is due to the coach making adjustments where necessary (how long do we wait on Shanks experiment?  I want him to play, but I think Avants has earned that starting spot).  Some of the teams improvement is just plain old basketball IQ and ability, which this team has an abundance of.

UND is leading the Big Sky in FG% right now (in league games) in both overall and 3pt shots.  Never thought we'd see that out of a Jones led team.

Rebounding needs improvement though.

Think Shanks needs some more muscle and a coach that believes in him.  He definitely has potential and just needs to believe in himself and not get down on himself.  When Shanks comes around, watch out!

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND is leading the Big Sky in FG% right now (in league games) in both overall and 3pt shots.  Never thought we'd see that out of a Jones led team.

Rebounding needs improvement though.

Think Shanks needs some more muscle and a coach that believes in him.  He definitely has potential and just needs to believe in himself and not get down on himself.  When Shanks comes around, watch out!

Thats good....FT's still need a lot of work.