SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-3) @ NAU (1-5)

SWSiouxMN

Weber is our kryptonite. We have yet to beat them. I guess you can't complain about beating the bad teams and we should have closed out the game against Montana and from what I understand the same can be said for the game against Idaho. If people think our guards are good this year, just imagine next year with everyone adding another year of experience and then throw in Wheeler Baker who played significant minutes for a good Albany team. Wow! 

26 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Weber is our kryptonite. We have yet to beat them. I guess you can't complain about beating the bad teams and we should have closed out the game against Montana and from what I understand the same can be said for the game against Idaho. If people think our guards are good this year, just imagine next year with everyone adding another year of experience and then throw in Wheeler Baker who played significant minutes for a good Albany team. Wow! 

How true.  Who do we lose in 16-17, barring unforeseen additional losses?  Hobaugh and Benton.  And as you said everyone gains a year of valuable experience and we add Wheeler to the mix. I am also intrigued by this Billy Brown kid out of Iowa (who may as well RS), but also Keinan Walter at 6'8", need another tall body with talent in the paint. It was disappointing to lose Kraig Shields last year to basically just homesickness. Maybe Walter will be even better than Shields was starting to be toward the end of last season. 

And then when it's time to say good-bye to Hooker and Baldwin in '17, Crandall and our slew of other talented guards should be ready to lead the team. Exciting!

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

How true.  Who do we lose in 16-17, barring unforeseen additional losses?  Hobaugh and Benton.  And as you said everyone gains a year of valuable experience and we add Wheeler to the mix. I am also intrigued by this Billy Brown kid out of Iowa (who may as well RS), but also Keinan Walter at 6'8", need another tall body with talent in the paint. It was disappointing to lose Kraig Shields last year to basically just homesickness. Maybe Walter will be even better than Shields was starting to be toward the end of last season. 

And then when it's time to say good-bye to Hooker and Baldwin in '17, Crandall and our slew of other talented guards should be ready to lead the team. Exciting!

Losing Shields sucked. He could jump out of the gym. 

52 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I will agree with most that it is quite obvious things are going better this year.  Defense is being played consistently.  The extra pass is being made.  Boxing out is occurring.  There just seems to be a real team out there that enjoys playing together.  

Lets also realize that they have beaten the #5, #6, #8 and #12 teams in the conference.  Their next two games are against poor teams in UNC and SUU.  To show they are truly turning the corner I want to see a win or two vs. Weber, Idaho or Montana.  They are the class of the league this year.  

I 100% agree with you, just wonder why some didn't feel we were the class of the conference when we were #2 and #3 a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I 100% agree with you, just wonder why some didn't feel we were the class of the conference when we were #2 and #3 a few years ago.

Decent point.  My first thought would be that most people don't classify a team as "class of the conference" until they have actually done something, like Weber and Montana.  Idaho hasn't and probably shouldn't be included.  

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

UND was the newcomer to DI college basketball and the Big Sky Conference in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014; if UND makes it to the NCAA tournament by besting everyone else in the BSC tournament - like Montana and Weber State have been doing in recent years - then UND will be considered the class of the conference. Similar to UND football's past overlooks; until you win, no one notices. Fortunately, UND football's 2015 7-4 season with many young players finally gave them some notoriety; same thing needs to happen with UND men's basketball. 

Unfortunately, I do not see that happening this year for UND men's basketball. UND needs to improve to the point that they can beat Montana and Weber State at home before they can beat them on a neutral site in Reno. 

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND was the newcomer to DI college basketball and the Big Sky Conference in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014; if UND makes it to the NCAA tournament by besting everyone else in the BSC tournament - like Montana and Weber State have been doing in recent years - then UND will be considered the class of the conference. Similar to UND football's past overlooks; until you win, no one notices. Fortunately, UND football's 2015 7-4 season with many young players finally gave them some notoriety; same thing needs to happen with UND men's basketball. 

Unfortunately, I do not see that happening this year for UND men's basketball. UND needs to improve to the point that they can beat Montana and Weber State at home before they can beat them on a neutral site in Reno. 

From what I have seen so far, there is no team in the conference UND cannot beat.  I had doubts early in the year but have been impressed with the improvement they have shown and the effort they play with.  I won't write them off come tournament time on a neutral court.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, homer said:

From what I have seen so far, there is no team in the conference UND cannot beat.  I had doubts early in the year but have been impressed with the improvement they have shown and the effort they play with.  I won't write them off come tournament time on a neutral court.

That neutral court could be a game breaker and an advantage to get to the dance. If people like Montana or Weber don't have a packed gym like they would with home court advantage it could swing the momentum into someone else's favor. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

That neutral court could be a game breaker and an advantage to get to the dance. If people like Montana or Weber don't have a packed gym like they would with home court advantage it could swing the momentum into someone else's favor. 

Would think Weber would travel well to Reno as its a straight shot on I-80, so it might not be exactly neutral court.  

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

its been known for several months and mentioned here on numerous occasions and still one very opinionated poster still did not know all 12 BSC teams make the BSC Tourney???

Sorry mr perfect, I shall bow down to your internet perfectness, by the way I searched the word tournament (looking for anything on how many teams) in this forum and found a post about it...ON APRIL 25th. Yea thats several months and very numerous. Sorry if I can't remember everything from 9 months ago.