SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Baseball

UNDvince97-01

If anyone has the ability to provide updates on the UND-SU games this afternoon (via webcast or whatever), they would be greatly appreciated.

Does that game come with the dataflix season pass (I don't have it but others around here probably do)? I am tempted to buy the game as Bison-Sioux baseball games are my favorite event outside of NDSU football games. I bought the Basketball game at REA this year on dataflix and it came through pretty well, I am kind of concerned about the quality of the feed coming from Kraft Field though. Also I really like to watch baseball with a beer in my hand, and I doubt my employer would like to see my watching the game at my desk with a beer :D;) . Anyways updates would be much appreciated :silly:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone is wondering, 2 wins by the Sioux, 5-2 and 2-1. Travis Koehn homers in both games, JJ Scheving picks up 2 saves. Darin Heston, UND's 5th or 6th starter, shuts the Bison down in game 1, Brent Sukut, UND's 4th starter does the same in game 2. Jeremiah Pepikorn goes hitless for the Bison. Sioux move into 1st in the NCC, and were 7th in the region. The Bison were 6th in the region, so both will change.

Pretty good crowd turnout on a not-so-perfect-for-baseball kind of day, the wind is freezing. Good wins considering the Bison started 2 of their top 3 pitchers, and UND got it done with 4 and 5 or 6. Some heated moments on the field like always in this game, above all it's always good to beat the rival.

Pretty good crowd turnout on a not-so-perfect-for-baseball kind of day, the wind is freezing. Good wins considering the Bison started 2 of their top 3 pitchers, and UND got it done with 4 and 5 or 6. Some heated moments on the field like always in this game, above all it's always good to beat the rival.

thanks for the update, althought the results could have been better :D , why would UND not start their top guys? With the games being moved up last week all four of those starters would have 3 or 4 days of rest. (which is what most college starters get). And whoever pitched today could take 4 days off before starting against SDSU on the 18th. Also of note, apparently 5-2 and 2-1 wins are "stomps"

great games...the sioux took care of the bison........wihtout their best pitchers throwing.....surprising that the shortstop stud goes hitless.......two big wins by the sioux...makes this weekend games even bigger.....hopefully we can get the replay of the webcast for three dollars on the ralph.com on webcast...all and all great day....coach dagwoods cooked 340 burgers all donated and given away for free.......along with chips pop and adult bevarages...thanks again coach dags..

some bison i saw that too...the sid boys must have been a little excited....but no doubt two huge wins.....puts the sioux in the drivers seat as a sweep is definitely a possibility this weekend as SDSU is down this year.....jj did pitch two innings today and the other two starters Schlangen and TJ i believe could have...although TJ said his arm was still a little sore...

thanks for the update, althought the results could have been better :D , why would UND not start their top guys? With the games being moved up last week all four of those starters would have 3 or 4 days of rest. (which is what most college starters get). And whoever pitched today could take 4 days off before starting against SDSU on the 18th. Also of note, apparently 5-2 and 2-1 wins are "stomps"

I read that headline too. The second game was obviously close, but the first game (5-2) was one of those that wasn't nearly as close as the final score indicates. JJ Scheving is UND's top pitcher, he has literally all but locked up the NCC Pitcher of the Year, but has had a zillion arm problems the last 5 years. I don't think you could risk starting him at this point in the year based on his past. Schlangen is probably UND's #2, and he throws a ton of pitches every outting (the type of pitcher you don't want to be a fielder for), doesn't know the value of the 5 pitch inning if you get what I mean. With the amounts of pitches he throws, he isn't really a bounceback quick type of guy at this point. The #3 Travis Johnson had some arm pains in St Cloud last week that were abnormal. So there really wasn't much choice in the matter, and luckily it worked.

I watched the game on DataFlix yesterday also. It was a little blurry and not a very quality picture. But it was worth it, I got to see and follow along somewhat. Good sweep for the Sioux. I hope there are enough senior leaders to guard against a letdown this weekend. Another thing, we still have to go to ndsu for a doubleheader, and i gotta believe they arent happy. So this thing is far from over. Im pumped that i get to watch the games in person this weekend against SDSU. Anybody else gonna be there this weekend? What are the forecasts looking like?

weekend weather is a chance of rain both sat and sunday more so on sunday...so talkin to Z this morning may move the games to friday, saturday depending upon what the weather says for sunday.....will keep posted or check out fightinsioux.com

for any changes, they always post it on their first, coach said he wont know until tomorrow since they are going to UMC today for a doubleheader...the boys need to guard against any let down....JJ was begging to get into both games against the BISON...so that is a good thing but Z did a good job of using him wisely to preserve the wins.....

WOW!!!! I dont know if anybody saw, but SDSU lost to the gophers 3-2 yesterday in Minneapolis. While I realize that Minnesota probably didnt throw any of their top pitchers, this still comes as a surprise to me considering that Minnesota beat Nebraska, Florida St., and Cal St.-Fullerton earlier in the year at the dome, and SDSU has been awful all year. UND better not let down this weekend.

WOW!!!! I dont know if anybody saw, but SDSU lost to the gophers 3-2 yesterday in Minneapolis. While I realize that Minnesota probably didnt throw any of their top pitchers, this still comes as a surprise to me considering that Minnesota beat Nebraska, Florida St., and Cal St.-Fullerton earlier in the year at the dome, and SDSU has been awful all year. UND better not let down this weekend.

You know how those games go Vince, the Gophs throw about their 8th or 10th pitcher, who actually looks like someone who would be a weekend starter in the NCC. SDSU probably throws their 5th guy, who has the stuff of a T-ball pitcher. Comparable to when UND plays Crookston or Bemidji, except on another level. Hitting that crap really throws a hitter off for not only that game but can cause problems for an extended period. UNO beat UW-Milwaukee the other day too, and Milwaukee knocked Nebraska out of the NCAA tourney last year in Lincoln, and they made it to the Super Regional final also I beleve, amongst the final 16 teams alive in baseball. Gotta love baseball. I'm sure Jacks fans are figuring they can compete in D1 baseball now too because they played the Gophs to a close one, but their is more to the game then is seen in the boxscore. There really isn't that big of a gap between better D2 and D1 baseball hitting, but the pitching is where the biggest difference lies.

Sioux Sweep SDSU over the weekend to remain in first, one game ahead of Mankato, and 3 games ahead of NDSU. Should be an interesting finish, the final week UND plays NDSU twice and has four games with Mankato.

SDSU is the worst NCC baseball team I have seen in at least the last 5 years. They were absolutely pathetic, no pitchers, no hitters, nothing. There was talk amongst the SDSU fans and players that their program was going to be cut just like USD's, and equestrian was going to be added, this to be in th next few years. Sad to see what was a close to a powerhouse just a few years ago turn into what it has.

corella....really the SDSU fans were saying they may cut baseball??? that is crazy...didnt get to the games wish i had....4 big huge wins for the Sioux though....sets it up as a big finsih..go to Omaha for four, NDSU for two, and Mankato for four the following weekend....hopefully knock on wood and dont jinx it may have a new conference champ since 1969 for baseball.......that would be great for Z man.......he has worked hard paid his dues and done what he could do with what he has been dealt...i would be extremely happy if they could get this done.....although a year late for you Corella....heard earlier also that SDSU may drop their football...i stated that on a earlier post....what is going on down there...chaos at its craziest.......wow...

I don't think SDSU is going to drop baseball. In all the reports and plans for the move to DI, baseball is included. I don't think they'll add scholarships or anything, but I think it will stay around. I think other sports like tennis or swimming would be cut before baseball. USD dropped their program because they were in a lot of problems with title 9 and finances in general. Us dropping football is crazy. Did you hear that from the same person that said AJ was going to Mankato and taking players with him? That was a from a "very very reliable source", right Legend?

I don't think SDSU is going to drop baseball. In all the reports and plans for the move to DI, baseball is included. I don't think they'll add scholarships or anything, but I think it will stay around. I think other sports like tennis or swimming would be cut before baseball. USD dropped their program because they were in a lot of problems with title 9 and finances in general. Us dropping football is crazy. Did you hear that from the same person that said AJ was going to Mankato and taking players with him? That was a from a "very very reliable source", right Legend?

Then again, how would you know. From the mouth of a few baseball parents and players, baseball sounds like it is in trouble in beautiful Brookings, gone in favor of the greener pastures (no pun intended) of equestrian. I trust what players say anyday over some "drive by poster", as people like you are so affectionately known on your board, such as yourself.

Back to the real issue at hand, UND and Mankato have the stage set for an epic battle in 2 weekends for the conference title and hosting of the conference tourney. Just think, NCC baseball tourney at Kraft during Springfest, those games wouldn't be crazy or anything :D. Legend, I'm sure you could find a grill to sit around and keep your little hands warm. I am willing to bet that GF would support the tourney greatly, you win in baseball here and people will show up as the Varmints and GF Legion programs have proven when they are successful.

it was cold that day Corella....but that grill was warm....smokey but warm....charger is it....we will see how long your coach sticks around at SDSU as for my source for your football team it is a person who is on SDSU committee's in your athletic dept....is that a good enough soruce for you charger fan?:D let me know if that is or not....thanx ahead of time....

Nope. You've been wrong before with your great sources, so I have no reason to believe this. I'll believe it when I see it in the headlines. I have just as much, if not more inside info then you legend, so I'm not worried. You're right Corella I don't know about baseball, but my personal opinion is that it's not going anywhere. Maybe they'll surprise me, I don't know. As far as football though, State isn't going to drop football.

Sioux are ranked #19 in the country and #2 in the region in the latest National College Baseball Writer's (NCWBA) poll released today. #1 in the region Central Missouri State is also #1 in the country. This poll isn't the "official" region poll though, at least I don't think so.

i will find out tomorrow...if they were ranked or not.....i dont think they were in 93 when they went to the series i believe i remember coach sayin they came from no where to win it and were the only unranked team in the series...but i will check to make sure since i dont have any info to contribute to this site according to some.........i think they were ranked in 98 if i remeber correctly though....good info corella as always your on top of it all :D