SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND President

UNDvince97-01

2 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

The open records issue would limit some possible excellent candidates. They may have an issue of being identified as "job seeking" by current employer, so if not selected at UND they may lose favor for promotion where they now work.

Open records are not always in the institutions best interest......

I agree with this.  I can't believe the State of ND doesn't amend this law or rule for the purposes of ensuring that state institutions receive the best field of qualified candidates possible.    This is such a no-brainer in the business world (how often do people inform their employer that they are looking to leave before they actually do?)

It just doesn't make sense to do things this way.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/List%20of%20applicants.pdf

Judging primarily by the current/most recent position and institution, I'd guess the front-runners are:

Purpur would be a dark-horse candidate at this point.

• Upvote 1

I see two that interest me:

Dr. Jay Noren: Associate Dean, College of Medicine University of Illinois at Chicago; Former President (2008-2010) Wayne State University

Dr. Ronald T. Brown: Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of North Texas System; Former President (2013-2015) Univ of North Texas at Dallas

6 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Would Tom Clifford get the job in today's environment?

He was way before my time, I only ask because he seems to be hands down the most popular president in UND history.

It would be more difficult, but possible.  Research and economic growth are a much bigger part of the equation today.  Clifford came from a business academic background and UND didn't have much research then.  Arguably, Purpur has a business and planning job that could be well suited for a University President, but the faculty and pinheads will only think in terms of dumb jocks, as the faculty is so tolerant.

• Upvote 1

Basically I would never care how soft or sissified a Prez u guys got but at least get one that knows ND Cultures & People & Traditions - Knowing something of Business & Farming/Ranching of the State would be a plus & be up on what's happening in the Energy or Technology Industry would help & maybe where the JOBS are going to be in the Future

PS.......& have a Pilots License  too

LOVE Hockey & Football & Sports in general

That is all

Fetch

23 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Basically I would never care how soft or sissified a Prez u guys got but at least get one that knows ND Cultures & People & Traditions - Knowing something of Business & Farming/Ranching of the State would be a plus & be up on what's happening in the Energy or Technology Industry would help & maybe where the JOBS are going to be in the Future

PS.......& have a Pilots License  too

LOVE Hockey & Football & Sports in general

That is all

Fetch

There now we have it narrowed down.  let's get ole or swen.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Would Tom Clifford get the job in today's environment?

He was way before my time, I only ask because he seems to be hands down the most popular president in UND history.

When I received my undergraduate degree Tom Clifford was still the president. He was a very personable individual. All the staff liked him. While I worked on campus the local custodians told me that he know all of their names and what buildings they worked in. When the University started having to make difficult financial decisions in the 1990's he was already gone. I have no idea how well he would have been during that time and the times following as research became a more important focus of the University. What I do dare say though is that he would have handled the name issue better. I honestly believe he would gone to the Standing Rock Reservation and made a pitch to them for approving the use of the name. Not sure if it would have made any difference but he would have put forth the effort. That is just my 2 cents worth.

• Upvote 2

Schafer made some interesting comments in this article

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3928166-schafer-welcomes-unds-challenges

This is the one that jumped out to me:

"Schafer didn't provide a name but said he knew someone personally—a sitting university president and UND alumnus—who didn't apply at UND because he couldn't have his name publically associated with the search, especially if he didn't ultimately get the job"

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

"Schafer didn't provide a name but said he knew someone personally—a sitting university president and UND alumnus—who didn't apply at UND because he couldn't have his name publically associated with the search, especially if he didn't ultimately get the job"

I would guess this guy.

13 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

IMO why that open records law needs to be amended for the good of the state.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:53 AM, dagies said:

I agree with this.  I can't believe the State of ND doesn't amend this law or rule for the purposes of ensuring that state institutions receive the best field of qualified candidates possible.    This is such a no-brainer in the business world (how often do people inform their employer that they are looking to leave before they actually do?)

It just doesn't make sense to do things this way.

Unfortunately, we have a legislature in ND who are ass backward on things along with being powerhungry.  All of us can see the harm this particular law does but the legislature cannot.  Leaders like Skarpohl especially like these type of laws and hey'd like a few more because they're thinking on a 1975 level  and it is2016