SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Baseball Season

dakotadan

1 minute ago, GeauxSioux said:

Big Sky sports where UND finished last or next to last..

Soccer, M/W Tennis and Softball.

Big Sky sports where UND is competitive..

Football, M/W Basketball and Volleyball.

Sports where UND has not been competitive, but improving and will improve due to the HPC, M/W Track and Field.

Where UND does the worst is in the non-revenue sports.

Go Sioux!!

So cut soccer, tennis and softball, take that money and re-invest in football, basketball (higher coaching salaries) and volleyball, and maybe find a way to axe women's hockey. 

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So cut soccer, tennis and softball, take that money and re-invest in football, basketball (higher coaching salaries) and volleyball, and maybe find a way to axe women's hockey. 

Which sports are required by the Big Sky?

Never mind, found it. M/W Tennis is required.

M/W Tennis are required sports in the Big Sky.  Soccer and Softball are not.  Softball and soccer have shown improvement.  Both teams were at the bottom of the conference again this year, but they were much more competitive than in past years.  The tennis teams, not so much.

I think the HPC will also benefit softball and soccer.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

this HTML class. Value is http://millersports.

Miller thoughts on the topic.

This is what appears when you try and copy past a link on my android :(

Important Conversation For UND Athletics In The Big Sky

And now, UND obviously won’t make any moves away from the Big Sky unless football is taken care of in another home. But if that situation were to arise, I think there’s a ton of momentum among the fanbase to realign with the Dakota schools. As I stated earlier, UND didn’t have much of a choice during the last realignment, but I think the school and its fans are learning what the Big Ten Hockey Conference has learned in its realignment era. There’s something to be said about your opponents’ regional familiarity. I thought maybe it would just take some time for UND fans to adjust to games against the Idaho States and Eastern Washingtons of the world. But, other than a few exceptions, I don’t think fans are receiving those schools any more warmly than they were in 2012.

So is UND close to moving conferences? No. But if one domino falls, UND should jump at the opportunity.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

If having athletics success that mimics NAU or Sac St is what it takes to bring home the BSC all-sports crown, I'm fine with never winning it.  If we stink at softball, soccer, M&W tennis, M&W track, and M&W x-country while excelling in M&W basketball, football, and volleyball, does anyone truly care?

I would agree with this.  Sink money and the 4 spectator sports and do the minimum in the others to stay in the big sky.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not really.  For some reason canning baseball really seems to have irked him and a couple others who buy ink by the barrel, even though they likely rarely attended games and never contributed financially to the program.  Does Faison have a lot of areas where he needs to improve as an AD, especially with regards to communication inside and outside the university?  Absolutely.  Do I think he will ever improve to an acceptable level in those areas?  No.  But Nelson choosing the dropping of baseball and the meaningless all-sports title to rag on UND and the BSC just proves that his is an opinion I'm not going to agree with or give credence to.

Wonder how much longer Faison decides to stick around?  No way he sticks around for the entirety of the 5 year contract does he?

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not really.  For some reason canning baseball really seems to have irked him and a couple others who buy ink by the barrel, even though they likely rarely attended games and never contributed financially to the program.  Does Faison have a lot of areas where he needs to improve as an AD, especially with regards to communication inside and outside the university?  Absolutely.  Do I think he will ever improve to an acceptable level in those areas?  No.  But Nelson choosing the dropping of baseball and the meaningless all-sports title to rag on UND and the BSC just proves that his is an opinion I'm not going to agree with or give credence to.

Both Nelson and Miller attend(ed)/covered UND baseball games over the years.  The other full time non hockey  reporter, DeVillers, did as well, but his kid was one of the UND coaches.  As for financially supporting the programs, that is not a reporter's role nor should it be. I  highly doubt Wayne has ever donated a nickel to the football or basketball programs apart from the price of a hot dog or two, and Schloss hasn't given money to the hockey program either.. To your point about it being one man's opinion, this is true and, yes everyone should be able to voice theirs. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think the mediocre results of the football and basketball teams the last few years did more to hurt attendance than the opponents.  

No one seemed to mind who was in the conference when the women were hosting the conference tournament.  

• Upvote 4

Nelson seems more a fit for a Mayville St or HS sports reporter.  Seems like fairness and participation is his mantra, and that doesn't jive well for DI.  The way baseball was cut could have been handled much better by Faison and UND, but cuts are an every year part of life now.  One has to adjust and spring back up.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I have noticed this as well. Someone should remind Nelson that this isn't the 1950's and baseball is not the #1 sport in America anymore. Cutting baseball is not in any way devastating to UND athletics. As for the closing comment (Is the Big Sky the right place for UND athletics?) he was implying that either a) UND drop back down to Division II or b) Figure out how to get into the Summit/MVFC. Neither of those things are going to happen. And neither of them should happen.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, lawkota said:

M/W Tennis are required sports in the Big Sky.  Soccer and Softball are not.  Softball and soccer have shown improvement.  Both teams were at the bottom of the conference again this year, but they were much more competitive than in past years.  The tennis teams, not so much.

I think the HPC will also benefit softball and soccer.

While women's tennis gets scholarships, men's maybe has 1.  We seem to keep more local or US players.  Rest of the Big Sky has very few if any Americans on the team.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Last year men got zero.

Sorta says UND doesn't care? No?

So stupid.  They add Men's Tennis because the Big Sky says you need it.  So naturally BF doesn't give them any scholarships.  :silly: 

He couldn't give them one or two scholarships to divide up between 6-7 guys, like baseball does on a larger level? 

www.d1baseball.com/at-the-ballpark/sioux-go-way-buffalo/

Appears Muckenhirn will get an SEC opportunity.

Miles Lewis will get anew opportunity at Michigan

Brett Harrison will continue playing at Memphis.

Maybe NDSU or SDSU will pick up some players too.

USC was only a .500 team in both the PAC12 and OOC.  They were a far cry from a rated power that preseason polls stated.

Utah actually won the PAC12, even though they were a sub .500 team overall.  They will be a four seed.

The west or north will not host a regional this year, and only the southeast will host.  

College baseball seems to becoming very regional.

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

USC was only a .500 team in both the PAC12 and OOC.  They were a far cry from a rated power that preseason polls stated.

Utah actually won the PAC12, even though they were a sub .500 team overall.  They will be a four seed.

The west or north will not host a regional this year, and only the southeast will host.  

College baseball seems to becoming very regional.

It's a niche sport....lol