SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Baseball Season

dakotadan

As a team that played outside for the first time this year in Los Angeles, doesn't have a full battery of scholarships, this might be the greatest DI performance ever by UND.  The recruiting is awesome (thank Devillers for that?) the team is disciplined and makes and executes great baseball decisions.  Wonder how long Dodson will last here?

Next year, UND should have early season games in the new Vikings Stadium, so it's not like they are perpetually doomed to not have an early season field.  Maybe they can even be on Fox Sports North then?  Crazy to think Lockhert, DeGagne, and Calvo are the only seniors.

My dream baseball conference of UND, NDSU, SDSU, Cal Poly, UCDavis, and Sac State may actually come to pass as part of a Big Sky FBS conference.

Ben Reznicek is the lead off hitter and is batting .500.  A JC transfer from Sioux Falls.

Brett Harrison is a catcher from Winnipeg that is a key RBI guy now.

Miles Lewis is from Hudson, WI, and plays OF is a key new face.

Brensehan is the CF from Casselton ND that made several key running catches.

Muckenhirn, Delano, Mn, is probably on scouting lists now.

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Great start. Congrats to the team. Wasn't there a call to get rid of baseball a year or so ago?  

Yup. It makes sense to me. Not because I don't like the sport and especially not because I didn't like the baseball guys when I was there. Like i said before, great guys. But because we seem to be really half assing baseball at UND. Maybe some great success will bring a little extra cash their way? 

Campbell put UND baseball on the map last year with the home run derby, by taking 2 out of 3 from #12 USC, that puts UND on radar in the conference. If we keep getting big wins UND could be a recognizable team which is very hard to do up here. I also would love to see a new stadium in Grand Forks but only if it had a roof to play in the spring. 

21 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Campbell put UND baseball on the map last year with the home run derby, by taking 2 out of 3 from #12 USC, that puts UND on radar in the conference. If we keep getting big wins UND could be a recognizable team which is very hard to do up here. I also would love to see a new stadium in Grand Forks but only if it had a roof to play in the spring. 

An upgraded baseball facility would be awesome.  Who knows, maybe Grand Forks can be home of a summer league like Fargo and now Bismarck.  

40 minutes ago, northernraider said:

An upgraded baseball facility would be awesome.  Who knows, maybe Grand Forks can be home of a summer league like Fargo and now Bismarck.  

I liked the GF Varmints when they were born in 1996, I thought they could be as big as the FM Redhawks but when the league folded it killed summer ball. Maybe they can get a team that could rival Winnipeg and FM someday.

11 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Great start. Congrats to the team. Wasn't there a call to get rid of baseball a year or so ago?  

Yup. Me. I like the sport and I like the run the UND program is on right now (Campbell and this past weekend); however, I still have climate/facilities concerns. I'm not sure the NCAA season (Feb-Jun) is right for this region. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yup. Me. I like the sport and I like the run the UND program is on right now (Campbell and this past weekend); however, I still have climate/facilities concerns. I'm not sure the NCAA season (Feb-Jun) is right for this region. 

I agree unless we had a baseball dome. Why doesn't the NCAA move the season later like minor league baseball does (May-Sept)

14 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I agree unless we had a baseball dome. Why doesn't the NCAA move the season later like minor league baseball does (May-Sept)

School ends in May.  While it would work for attendance, tough to have a sport playing its full season when school is not in session.  

20 minutes ago, homer said:

School ends in May.  While it would work for attendance, tough to have a sport playing its full season when school is not in session.  

I see your point. Sucks to have our team start the season with a 20-30 game road trip every year.

I don't think dropping baseball is the answer. I would look to swimming and diving first as this would create less title 9 headaches. Also, I can't imagine S&D brings in much revenue. 

Lastly, to address the weather and short spring season: Wasn't there a proposal floating around that would allow the season to begin in the fall, and then resume again in the spring? I thought I read something about this recently.

Great season opener!

57 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I don't think dropping baseball is the answer. I would look to swimming and diving first as this would create less title 9 headaches. Also, I can't imagine S&D brings in much revenue. 

Lastly, to address the weather and short spring season: Wasn't there a proposal floating around that would allow the season to begin in the fall, and then resume again in the spring? I thought I read something about this recently.

Great season opener!

The Big 10 wanted to change the season, but the other P5 conferences were against it.  The baseball draft is in June, and extending the season beyond that will make more players opt of of college by going to the pros directly.  MLB won't change their draft date because they need to staff their rookie leagues.  Also, college players often play in a summer baseball college league, like the Northlands League in Minnesota.

The new Vikings Stadium will see a lot of use next winter for baseball, as did it's predecessor the Metrodome.