SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Merchandise

burronation

12 hours ago, SlowHand said:

If you guys really want to show your disapproval with the new name and logo, just wear NDSU gear to games.

:)

Disapproval means there's conscious thought, intelligence, to decide whether you like or dislike something. 

What you propose shows the opposite of intelligence. ;)

I will reserve judgement on whether or not i will buy anything with Hawks on it until the new logo is unveiled, as i have previously stated I am not optimistic that they will put forward a logo that will be good let alone great. Even if they do, loading up on fighting hawks stuff is not going to be high on my priorities list, I have plenty of Sioux and UND stuff for the foreseeable future.

• 3 months later...
On 1/4/2016 at 0:44 PM, Blackheart said:

This just in...It is possible to support the school without using the CURRENT nickname.  

Like it or not, they ARE NOT the Sioux anymore.  Nobody is bashing on anyone for still sporting the Sioux gear (hell, I still wear mine), but it seems to be alright to bark at anyone who's moved on and accepts the new name.

Maybe I'll wear a Sioux shirt and a F'n Hawks hat and see what happens.  Someone's head will certainly explode:bigsmile:

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Like it or not, they ARE NOT the Sioux anymore.  Nobody is bashing on anyone for still sporting the Sioux gear (hell, I still wear mine), but it seems to be alright to bark at anyone who's moved on and accepts the new name.

Maybe I'll wear a Sioux shirt and a F'n Hawks hat and see what happens.  Someone's head will certainly explode:bigsmile:

It is unfortunate that people who wear Fighting Hawks merchandise with the new logo are going to be labeled as traitors  and "not true fans."  

H ow

A bout

W e

K eep cheering for The University of North Dakota athletic teams and student athletes and and unite under the new name

S o we can move forward and focus this athletic department on on the field/court/ice success and winning as opposed to debating nickname issues.

• Upvote 3

There are more fans out there than you think that want to remember the past but also embrace the future.   Everyone needs to respect what some people might think.   This University needs some positivity,  not more negativity.   If people are going to be labeling people as traitors and "not true fans" you are harming the situation rather than helping the University.  Nobody has to wear Hawks gear, that is your choice.  Please don't disrespect the people that loved the Sioux name but also are willing to accept the new name.

• Upvote 3

So the real argument is what is best for our athletic teams, student athletes and the University.

1.  Accept change by embracing the new nickname at the same time respecting the past nickname.

2.  Reject change by boycotting the new nickname by holding on to the past nickname.

Obviously there are many levels in between those that fans are currently at.  But I have yet to hear an argument that justifies option #2.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, Fetch said:

Oh my Ra, this needs to be cross posted and go viral . . . best idea for a fighting hawks logo possible. If they roll with a Ra inspired fighting hawk, they can take all my money and we will replace the greatest logo in sports with the next greatest logo in sports. This would honestly save the entire debacle for me (short of keeping the nickname, rolling as just North Dakota, this is the best possible solution).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

Oh my Ra, this needs to be cross posted and go viral . . . best idea for a fighting hawks logo possible. If they roll with a Ra inspired fighting hawk, they can take all my money and we will replace the greatest logo in sports with the next greatest logo in sports. This would honestly save the entire debacle for me (short of keeping the nickname, rolling as just North Dakota, this is the best possible solution).

Seriously, FB, tweet, email SME Branding . . .

12 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It is unfortunate that people who wear Fighting Hawks merchandise with the new logo are going to be labeled as traitors  and "not true fans."  

H ow

A bout

W e

K eep cheering for The University of North Dakota athletic teams and student athletes and and unite under the new name

S o we can move forward and focus this athletic department on on the field/court/ice success and winning as opposed to debating nickname issues.

Traitors?  That seems a little excessive.

41 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Wear Sioux gear.  Wear Hawks gear. Wear UND gear without a nickname.  I don't care.  

Just cheer on the teams in green and white.  

This is what it should be about!!!! Post of the year!

2 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Wear Sioux gear.  Wear Hawks gear. Wear UND gear without a nickname.  I don't care.  

Just cheer on the teams in green and white.  

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

This is what it should be about!!!! Post of the year!

Couldn't disagree more.  So having some fans cheer "Go Sioux", some fans cheer "Go Hawks" and some fans cheering "Go North Dakota" or nothing at all is a good thing?  A divided fan base?  Fans yelling Hawks and having people get mad at them "giving into the PC crowd" or fans yelling Sioux and having other fans telling them to move on is going to be good for this fanbase?  The next few years are going to be completely miserable for UND fans.  I really believe that.  This will be the hardest part of this whole nickname debacle.  There will be a new nickname and logo.  It will be everywhere. Yet  there will be fans cheering for 2 different nicknames at sporting events.  We will have a divided fanbase.  It's going to happen.  Only question is how long it will last.  No matter what, it is definitely NOT "what it should be about"

So it is what it is - Freedom of Choice 

& in time something could change a few minds ....but I doubt it

I'LL BE A FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER but will give Fighting Hawks a chance might even buy a F'n Hawk tee shirt or hat too but it will never be as beloved as Sioux 

It does bother me we never won with Bens Sioux head in a official capacity 

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Couldn't disagree more.  So having some fans cheer "Go Sioux", some fans cheer "Go Hawks" and some fans cheering "Go North Dakota" or nothing at all is a good thing?  A divided fan base?  Fans yelling Hawks and having people get mad at them "giving into the PC crowd" or fans yelling Sioux and having other fans telling them to move on is going to be good for this fanbase?  The next few years are going to be completely miserable for UND fans.  I really believe that.  This will be the hardest part of this whole nickname debacle.  There will be a new nickname and logo.  It will be everywhere. Yet  there will be fans cheering for 2 different nicknames at sporting events.  We will have a divided fanbase.  It's going to happen.  Only question is how long it will last.  No matter what, it is definitely NOT "what it should be about"

I think you missed the point of his post, instead of putting down the Fighting Sioux (or Hawk) fan lets all unite and cheer for UND. Wear whatever gear you want, if you have Flickertail gear go for it, it all represents the same school that everyone needs to cheer for. This is the transitional period that all schools that had their name changed go through, we are not even a year into the new name, we don't have a logo yet, so people not embracing the new name is understandable, what is NOT understandable is people branding the new nicknamers as non UND supportive, which is wrong. Don't agree with the name fine, but don't put down someone for embracing it when its the same school you are cheering for. At least that is what I got out of his post. 10 years, heck maybe 5 years from now things may be a whole lot different.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

I think you missed the point of his post, instead of putting down the Fighting Sioux (or Hawk) fan lets all unite and cheer for UND. Wear whatever gear you want, if you have Flickertail gear go for it, it all represents the same school that everyone needs to cheer for. This is the transitional period that all schools that had their name changed go through, we are not even a year into the new name, we don't have a logo yet, so people not embracing the new name is understandable, what is NOT understandable is people branding the new nicknamers as non UND supportive, which is wrong. Don't agree with the name fine, but don't put down someone for embracing it when its the same school you are cheering for. At least that is what I got out of his post. 10 years, heck maybe 5 years from now things may be a whole lot different.

And I think you missed my point.  I am not going to sit here and tell people what to wear and not to wear and what to say and what not to say at UND sporting events.  My point is that we are going to have a divided fan base.  Some fans will cheer "Sioux", some ill cheer "Hawks", and some will cheer neither.  Same goes for merchandise people wear as well.  The debate is whether that is going to be just fine or if that is going to cause division in our fan base.  I believe it will cause division.  And to be honest, makes UND fans look really dumb.

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Any I think you missed my point.  I am not going to sit here and tell people what to wear and not to wear and what to say and what not to say at UND sporting events.  My point is that we are going to have a divided fan base.  Some fans will cheer "Sioux", some ill cheer "Hawks", and some will cheer neither.  The debate is whether that is going to be just fine or if that is going to cause division in our fan base.  I believe it will cause division.  And to be honest, makes UND fans look really dumb.

Being divided is dumb and hopefully it decreases as time goes by but I'm sure at Marquette, Arkansas St, and others it happened there too. Just give it time and with a new logo hopefully the name can take off (no pun intended).

• Downvote 1