SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Merchandise

burronation

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

While it may be the cool thing to do to rebel against the man and wear Sioux gear to games and around town after the new merchandise with the new logo is out...You are going to look rather  foolish when the students, student athletes, and a whole bunch of other fans are wearing the new name and logo while you are still clinging to the past.  

LOL literally at this.

39 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

So what are UND fans supposed to do pack up their Sioux clothing and bury it in the backyard? How do you connect a person wearing Sioux clothing with them being unaccepting of the new name - that is quite a stretch. The logo was the highest selling college logo in the US for many years - because people liked how it looked. Who is going to send out the message that you now look foolish for wearing this logo?  

Never said you had to burn all your Sioux clothing.  You can wear Sioux clothing.  That's fine.  I still own some.  My point is those that absolutely refuse to refer to UND as the Fighting Hawks and won't ever by Fighting Hawks merchandise are in denial, and yes stubborn.  Just because you wear Sioux clothing doesn't mean you are not accepting of the new name.  But 5 years from now, if you are still wearing your Sioux jersey to a hockey game  yelling "Go Sioux", you are being stubborn.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

"Proud Fighting Sioux Fans".  The reason you are proud fans, is because the name of the school you support was the Fighting Sioux.  If UND would have been known as the Fighting Hawks for 80 years, you would be "Proud Fighting Hawk" fans.  My point is, the support you gave the Fighting Sioux name was because it was the name of the University of North Dakota athletic teams.  I get it that Fighting Hawks is not even close to being as good as Fighting Sioux on many levels.  But is is the nickname of the school in which you support.  If you think not embracing a new name and logo and refusing to accept the new name and logo is supporting the University, its teams, and its student athletes, that's your opinion. 

And if you think that embracing that logo enhances said person's level of support, then logically we have a bunch of people who stopped supporting the university when they voted to allow the nickname to retire. If the same wasn't true then, logically it shouldn't be true now.

If allowing a nickname to pass was supporting the university, then embracing a new nickname to support the university is changing the rules. If the stance when taking the nickname down was "allegiance to the school, not the logo", you should more than allowed (it was previously encouraged, correctly) to hold that same stance now.

"Proud Fighting Sioux Fans".  The reason you are proud fans, is because the name of the school you support was the Fighting Sioux.  If UND would have been known as the Fighting Hawks for 80 years, you would be "Proud Fighting Hawk" fans.  My point is, the support you gave the Fighting Sioux name was because it was the name of the University of North Dakota athletic teams.  I get it that Fighting Hawks is not even close to being as good as Fighting Sioux on many levels.  But is is the nickname of the school in which you support.  If you think not embracing a new name and logo and refusing to accept the new name and logo is supporting the University, its teams, and its student athletes, that's your opinion. 

Right now the new nickname is a branding choice,its not established. As I have said they may figure out a logo that is fantastic, but the fact that out 1000 submitted suggestions the final choices they came up with were North Stars, Sundogs, Nodaks, Roughriders and Fighting Hawks doesn't show me that they were think about a good brand name options and thus it doesn't give me a lot of hope that they will do well with the logo.

Furthermore expressing disagreement with a choice that I don't like or think will be successful is not tantamount to not supporting the athletic teams. I still pay to get the games on Live stream and pay to purchase the apparel i do like, most of which is the Non-nickname stuff because like everyone else i stocked up before the logo was retired. However if I choose to not buy Fighting Hawks merchandise or continue to wear my Fighting Sioux gear that is my choice, and IF there is ever a push to change the nickname again whether or not I support, descent or remain indifferent to that will be based on my own judgment.

Right now the new nickname is a branding choice,its not established. As I have said they may figure out a logo that is fantastic, but the fact that out 1000 submitted suggestions the final choices they came up with were North Stars, Sundogs, Nodaks, Roughriders and Fighting Hawks doesn't show me that they were think about a good brand name options and thus it doesn't give me a lot of hope that they will do well with the logo.

Furthermore expressing disagreement with a choice that I don't like or think will be successful is not tantamount to not supporting the athletic teams. I still pay to get the games on Live stream and pay to purchase the apparel i do like, most of which is the Non-nickname stuff because like everyone else i stocked up before the logo was retired. However if I choose to not buy Fighting Hawks merchandise or continue to wear my Fighting Sioux gear that is my choice, and IF there is ever a push to change the nickname again whether or not I support, descent or remain indifferent to that will be based on my own judgment.

You do realize how stupid our fanbase is going to look when half the fans are cheering "Let's go Sioux" in their Sioux gear and the other half is cheering "Let's go Hawks/Fighting Hawks" wearing their Fighting Hawks gear right?!!  There is a large majority of people that wanted UND to retire the name.  67% of people that voted on the measure said that.  Those that could read the writing on the wall realized that it was the best interest of the University to retire the Fighting Sioux nickname and adopt a new one.  Just because now that we have a new nickname with a logo soon to follow that wasn't as good as you hoped for, that doesn't change the fact that adopting a new nickname and logo were what was best for the University moving forward.  

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You do realize how stupid our fanbase is going to look when half the fans are cheering "Let's go Sioux" in their Sioux gear and the other half is cheering "Let's go Hawks/Fighting Hawks" wearing their Fighting Hawks gear right?!!  There is a large majority of people that wanted UND to retire the name.  67% of people that voted on the measure said that.  Those that could read the writing on the wall realized that it was the best interest of the University to retire the Fighting Sioux nickname and adopt a new one.  Just because now that we have a new nickname with a logo soon to follow that wasn't as good as you hoped for, that doesn't change the fact that adopting a new nickname and logo were what was best for the University moving forward.  

Your forgetting that vote took place after the threat of crippling sanctions from the NCAA, secondly your basically arguing that "It doesn't matter that its sucks just get on board with it and oh yea please go out and buy a bunch of fighting hawks stuff". Yea no I spent a lot of money on my Fighting Sioux gear including hockey jerseys, it think I will continue to wear them, if people don't get weird looks wearing North Stars or Fighting Saints gear at Wild games then I think I will be fine when/if the fighting hawks name takes off.

Second of all I never stated that dropping the name from official use wasn't the best move, it was really the only choice given the alternatives. I and most people who dislike the new nickname branding are not under the delusion that Fighting Sioux will be coming back as the school's official nickname. What i have said is the Fighting Hawks right now is a new re-branding choice, weather or not that branding choice is successful is anyone's guess. However its not a guaranteed that it will stay, the fact that Fighting Sioux was successful brand and had to be changed if proof that. 

• Upvote 1

They got their wish:

Anything But Sundogs.

Anything but Force.

Anything but a Unique name...oh wair Nevermind.....Everyone that changes from a native american name goes to a bird.

UND = Angry Birds. Maybe the students (alumni?) are smarter than we think....look for enrollment to increase 50%+  based on our subtle coolness of an app game.

UND Angry Birds.....way more awesome than Fighting Hawks....Petition the Change!

FYI the longer time go along and the longer you wear you wear Fighting Sioux gear the "more awesomer" you become.....MN North Stars...Winnipeg Jets (before they came back).

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Why would you look foolish?  Especially when most people are still wearing that "outdated" Sioux gear.

I'm picking up 9...NINE...new "licensed" Fighting Sioux hoodies tomorrow for myself and family members. A new dumb a** bird nickname with no logo isn't going trump generations of Fighting Sioux fans.....least not at this point.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Unfortunately time is skewing the truth about this vote. This vote was not "Vote Yes because you don't like the Fighting Sioux logo and want to get something different". The vote was "Vote yes because if you don't UND won't get into the Big Sky, scheduling will become difficult, UND will be sanctioned by the NCAA, players will stop coming here etc". it was not a level plateau. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Poof. And just like that any credibility you may have had here is gone.

Obviously 67% of people that voted to retire the name didn't want the name retired.  There was no other option to keep the name.  Scheduling issues, conference affiliation, ability ot host post season games, etc forced our hand.  My point is that those that voted to retire name all believed it is what was best for UND and its athletic department.  What did you think was going to happen when the name was retired?  That UND would just be North Dakota and not have a new name?  Did you think that any name picked would be as popular and well received as Fighting Sioux?  Of course not.  A new name that is not Fighting Sioux was going to be selected.  You can't vote to retire the Sioux name because you think its best for the University one minute, and the next minute not accept a new name and refuse to accept it and revert back to the old name.  Not how it works.

We as UND fans need to recognize that the Fighting Hawks name is not going anywhere.  It is going to be the identity of the University and it's athletic teams for years to come.  Not aknowledging it and refusing to recognize it does not help the University.  Do you think it does?  I get it.  Fighting Hawks is not ideal.  But is is the hand we are dealt and we have to live with it.  We have to choices now.  Either we embrace the change and the new name, make it ours and own it, or we fight it and refuse to embrace it which will result in a divided fanbase of those clinging to the old name and those trying to adjust to the new one.

And just a side not, you want to credit my credibility, so be it.  But that is your opinion.  I know where I stand as a person and as a life long UND supporter.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 12/31/2015 at 9:30 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

"We as UND fans need to recognize that the Fighting Hawks name is not going anywhere.  It is going to be the identity of the University and it's athletic teams for years to come.  Not aknowledging it and refusing to recognize it does not help the University.  Do you think it does?  I get it.  Fighting Hawks is not ideal."

Why? If a name, logo, and brand as popular as the Fighting Sioux can be retired then what makes the "Fighting Hawks" impervious to replacement. Yes the amount of pressure coming from the NCAA, the State board of Higher Ed, the Big sky and other forces was immense, but it would have to be to force such a popular and beloved brand to be retired. It was simple cost/bennifit, the sanctions from the NCAA and the big sky were not worth the befit of keeping the fighting Sioux. The fighting hawks will not in all likely hood ever be as popular as the Fighting Sioux was, even when you take into account the that time may diminish the old nickname to some extent, the generic and unimaginative nature of the Fighting Hawks doesn't lend itself to longevity or inspiration.

I see two possibilities, an organic campaign among students and alumni to change the name from fighting hawks to a particular new name (in other-words this movement would already have a new name in mind, not another round of voting and suggestions), similar to how the Fighting Sioux replaced the Flickertails. The second option is that future branding will tend to ignore the nickname, like so many other universities UND will use its monogram logo - the interlocking ND- instead of the mascot/ nickname logo.

This is not to say that whatever graphic designer they hire (and probably pay way too much money) won't be able to come up with a logo that can save this bland, unimaginative and uninspiring nickname. But based on how the university handled the nickname selection process my hopes for a good logo are about as good as my hopes for peace in the middle east.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Was at the games this weekend. Made my rounds upper and lower bowl. In two nights I saw zero Fighting Hawks gear. Thought maybe after Christmas someone would be wearing something. Lead balloon.

Didn't hear any "Sioux forever" chants either night.  Progress?  Or will they return with the students back against UNO? 

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

Was at the games this weekend. Made my rounds upper and lower bowl. In two nights I saw zero Fighting Hawks gear. Thought maybe after Christmas someone would be wearing something. Lead balloon.

My grandson had a Fighting Hawks T shirt on under his Sioux jersey - that's progress in 1st year :cool:

On 12/31/2015 at 6:09 AM, Oxbow6 said:

I'm picking up 9...NINE...new "licensed" Fighting Sioux hoodies tomorrow for myself and family members. A new dumb a** bird nickname with no logo isn't going trump generations of Fighting Sioux fans.....least not at this point.

Picked them up and wore one Friday night.  I "looked marvelous"!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Picked them up and wore one Friday night.  I "looked marvelous"!

Looked all night for someone marvelous.  Must have missed you:blink:

Even spent a period in 110, since a piano was blocking the view from my seat. Not sure that's where you are

Edited by sprig

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I see two possibilities, an organic campaign among students and alumni to change the name from fighting hawks to a particular new name (in other-words this movement would already have a new name in mind, not another round of voting and suggestions), similar to how the Fighting Sioux replaced the Flickertails. The second option is that future branding will tend to ignore the nickname, like so many other universities UND will use its monogram logo - the interlocking ND- instead of the mascot/ nickname logo.

The problem with your first option is there was never going to be a name that a large majority of people supported.  Sure, Fighting Hawks won a majority vote, but that doesn't mean that it was a fan favorite.  There was never going to be a name that had the popularity to be the obvious choice as a replacement.  If there was, that would be the new nickname.  The university spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with this process.  I doubt they are going to do it again.  There would have to be pitch fork and torches type movement before UND officials consider changing it again.  

• Upvote 1