SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

Clearly the new nickname is not a hit at UND, at least not yet.  Boos at hockey games, stakeholders not donating, etc.  A few months back President Kelley said he would consider having no nickname, which we all know was lip service.  I think no nickname would have won over the lack of good choices that we ended up with.  Kelley is gone next month.  Maybe either the interim president or the new president will listen to the stakeholders in the University rather than those who thought Hawks was a cool acronym and drop the Hawks name and the travesty we just went through.

For those who say that UND has to pick a new nickname to be NCAA compliant, that has been fulfilled.  UND had a vote a transitioned to a new nickname and logo.  There was no requirement on how long the new nickname had to stay.  For those who say what about the new logo aspect of the settlement. UND changed the interlocking ND a few years back to differentiate it from Notre Dame's logo.  If you want a new logo, I have advocated a few times using a North arrow through the interlocking ND (see my avatar).  And no a North arrow is not Native American imagery.  It is used on maps throughout the world.

Back in 2004 Marquette did something similar when the Board of Trustees decided to change the name from Warriors to Gold.  There was a backlash and they had to have another series of votes, which is how they ended up with another rather bland name, Golden Eagles.

Drop the Fighting Hawks name and just leave it at North Dakota.

Edited by GeauxSioux
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Clearly the new nickname is not a hit at UND, at least not yet.  Boos at hockey games, stakeholders not donating, etc.  A few months back President Kelley said he would consider having no nickname, which we all know was lip service.  I think no nickname would have won over the lack of good choices that we ended up with.  Kelley is gone next month.  Maybe either the interim president or the new president will listen to the stakeholders in the University rather than those who thought Hawks was a cool acronym and drop the Hawks name and the travesty we just went through.

For those who say that UND has to pick a new nickname to be NCAA compliant, that has been fulfilled.  UND had a vote a transitioned to a new nickname and logo.  There was no requirement on how long the new nickname had to stay.  For those who say what about the new logo aspect of the settlement. UND changed the interlocking ND a few years back to differentiate it from Notre Dame's logo.  If you want a new logo, I have advocated a few times using a North arrow through the interlocking ND (see my avatar).  And no a North arrow is not Native American imagery.  It is used on maps throughout the world.

Back in 2004 Marquette did something similar when the Board of Trustees decided to change the name from Warriors to Gold.  There was a backlash and they had to have another series of votes, which is how they ended up with another rather bland name, Golden Eagles.

So we can drop it, have another vote, and end up as the Fighting Eagles?  Seems like a good plan.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Any name besides no nickname and Fighting Sioux will get booed. How about Sundogs at full strength. Sound better? Nodaks on the power play sound better?  Fighting Hawks is here to stay and will be a household name by the end of the decade.

• Downvote 4

I think there is a small chance the nickname goes away over time.  A good meaningful nickname should come about organically.  The current students voted in FH and obviously the die hard fans aren't having it.

I would agree with this.  I don't like FH at all but it is what it is.

#gosiouxhawks

Clearly the new nickname is not a hit at UND, at least not yet.  Boos at hockey games, stakeholders not donating, etc. 

Stakeholders have already started withholding donations because of a nickname that has been in place less than 3 weeks? Is this similar to the threats from people who claimed they would quit donating if UND retired the Fighting Sioux nickname yet even after it happened, the Champions Club has managed to have record donations year after year and UND exceeded a $300 million fundraising campaign goal by $30 million?

Zero percent chance of this happening.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

My donations/support to UND never was predicated on the nickname.................never will be.

Exactly and I feel pretty comfortable stating the majority of those who made the threats didn't donate to begin with. While not the only way to donate, when cross-referencing the names from letters to the editor or from social media with the Champions Club list, there wasn't a whole lot of matches.

• Upvote 1

Exactly and I feel pretty comfortable stating the majority of those who made the threats didn't donate to begin with. While not the only way to donate, when cross-referencing the names from letters to the editor or from social media with the Champions Club list, there wasn't a whole lot of matches.

Since they don't donate anway, I assume those chirpers will no longer be renewing their hockey tickets as a way showing their displeasure.  

Since they don't donate anway, I assume those chirpers will no longer be renewing their hockey tickets as a way showing their displeasure.  

which would be okay as there will be a lot of people who will be glad to snatch up those available tickets.

Here's what I don't understand:

A majority picked "Fighting Hawks"; yet, it sounded like a majority of the arena responded negatively toward it. 

Yes, where are all these Fighting Hawk voters?  

"Proudly places tinfoil hat on head."

Was the vote fixed for the Kelley/consultant choice?

TMuiJgS.jpg

• Upvote 1

I guess chat rooms are the place for discussing this - it's a free country. But really there is NO WAY there will be any knee jerk  reaction like this. In fact if anyone didn't expect a rough transition they were out of touch with reality. The boos will die down, the masses will fall into place, new students will arrive each year and the only thing they will know is Fighting Hawks. The SIoux Forever crowd will remain and dwindle (over decades) - you can still find similar groups at other schools who had to change their name. Life moves on. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1