SiouxSports.com Forum

What makes a great sports logo?

The Sicatoka

5 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Quicker the Hawks brand fails the sooner the University will change without the NCAA and a legion of Up tight liberals breathing  down their throat.

Why are you hoping the University will fail? The Hawks name is part of the University thus saying the "quicker the Hawks brand fails", is hoping the university fails. NDSU is calling your name Archy run to the gold light.

• Downvote 2

20 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Why are you hoping the University will fail? The Hawks name is part of the University thus saying the "quicker the Hawks brand fails", is hoping the university fails. NDSU is calling your name Archy run to the gold light.

First off, as far as NDSU goes, I went to UND during that period in the late 2000's when UND and NDUS didn't play each other in anything so, yea its hard for me to get all excited about that rivalry because it didn't exist on campus in any meaningful form when I was there.

Second, I never said The University, just the Hawks branding choice, their is nothing wrong with wanting a bad branding choice to fail quickly in order to make room for a better option. The reason they should have had a longer cooling off period is that any choice made by the university would be less about creating a recognizable and unique brand that stands out and instead would be worried about what a bunch of stuffed shirt academics grossly out of touch with the real world (Yes I know not every professor at UND is like that) would worry about... could this possibly in anyway offend anyone? If this is your primary concern then anything that comes out will be generic, typical and underwhelming. So rather than being an administration suck up under the delusion that if we pretend to like the new choice that will some how make it a good long term branding option for UND, I hope the new branding idea flops and flops quick so a better option can be put forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

First off, as far as NDSU goes, I went to UND during that period in the late 2000's when UND and NDUS didn't play each other in anything so, yea its hard for me to get all excited about that rivalry because it didn't exist on campus in any meaningful form when I was there.

Second, I never said The University, just the Hawks branding choice, their is nothing wrong with wanting a bad branding choice to fail quickly in order to make room for a better option. The reason they should have had a longer cooling off period is that any choice made by the university would be less about creating a recognizable and unique brand that stands out and instead would be worried about what a bunch of stuffed shirt academics grossly out of touch with the real world (Yes I know not every professor at UND is like that) would worry about... could this possibly in anyway offend anyone? If this is your primary concern then anything that comes out will be generic, typical and underwhelming. So rather than being an administration suck up under the delusion that if we pretend to like the new choice that will some how make it a good long term branding option for UND, I hope the new branding idea flops and flops quick so a better option can be put forward.

Fighting Hawks is UND's nickname either get on board or get out. That is going to be sentiment every year the name is here, and it's not going away. You people voted on the name, I didn't, I'm not an alum, student or season ticket holder. But I am a die hard UND fan and have accepted the name Fighting Hawks just like others have. When I go to the next game I will say "let's go Fighting Hawks" with my Hawks gear (which I will purchase in the near future). Oh I am far from an administration suckup, I am wearing my Sioux hockey jersey as I am typing this and will continue to wear Sioux gear but will never boo my team for something like a nickname. You can boo if you want over the name, you guys look like a fool doing it.

• Downvote 7

33 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I don't like the Fighting Hawks name, so I am to "get out"?  And they are not booing their team. They are booing a nickname that met none  of the critria of the selection committee. 

So five years when 90-95% of the crowd is cheering for the Hawks are you and the 3 other people in the stands going to boo? Why go to a game if all you are going to do is boo. After you hear "another Fighting Hawks first down" that's a lot of booing you are going to do. If that's the case please...don't show up.

Another thing, you are not booing a name that didn't meet the criteria, you are booing a name that isn't Fighting Sioux.

• Downvote 2

77iceman, I really like your logo ideas.    I think I agree with the others regarding which they like best but they both work.   This kind of thing meets my logo criteria very well, and it's pleasing to the eye.  Good work!

I do think I like the greater curve involved in the logos on the helmets on the left, than the more gentle curve of those on the right.

It's all in good fun...i've only been following UND for a couple of years, so I have never actually cheered for the "Sioux".  Although i don't agree with the reasons and the thought behind having to change the name, I am not nearly as invested in the "Fighting Sioux" brand as the majority of you all.

I'm just hoping the end result isn't some silly cartoon looking bird with a grimmacing scowl and big muscle arms.  

I'm certainly not offended by sny responses here...I design corporate crap for a living and I know that you can never please everyone (especially when they don't want it in yhe first place).

i'll still wear some old Sioux gear i picked up....and will probably get something with the new logo as well.

21 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So five years when 90-95% of the crowd is cheering for the Hawks are you and the 3 other people in the stands going to boo? Why go to a game if all you are going to do is boo. After you hear "another Fighting Hawks first down" that's a lot of booing you are going to do. If that's the case please...don't show up.

Another thing, you are not booing a name that didn't meet the criteria, you are booing a name that isn't Fighting Sioux.

For the record, I didn't saying I was booing the nickname. I am saying  I would not ask someone to leave because they don't support it. 

I said I don't like the name. If you look back thru some the nickname threads, there were a lot of names I could support. The one that was "chosen" was not one of them.  It is bland and failed to meet the criteria. The process failed, because the leadership (Kelley) failed. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GeauxSioux said:

For the record, I didn't saying I was booing the nickname. I am saying  I would not ask someone to leave because they don't support it. 

I said I don't like the name. If you look back thru some the nickname threads, there were a lot of names I could support. The one that was "chosen" was not one of them.  It is bland and failed to meet the criteria. The process failed, because the leadership (Kelley) failed. 

So you would've been happy with Sundogs because that met the criteria? I think out of the names for the final 5 FH was the best choice with RoughRiders second. Kelley didn't fail nothing because he didn't allow the no nickname to stand and it shouldn't have been an option anyways (the NCAA knew where that was headed).

• Downvote 4

31 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I think

Exactly, it is your opinion. And the rest of us can have opinions too. 

I think that the Fighting Hawk nickname sucks. I'm not trying to cling to the Sioux nickname by saying this. I'm not a bad UND alumnus for saying this. I'm not a bad season ticket holder for saying this. I'm saying that I think the new nickname sucks and that is my opinion. And it's not going to change because you tell me to get over it or to move on. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Exactly, it is your opinion. And the rest of us can have opinions too. 

I think that the Fighting Hawk nickname sucks. I'm not trying to cling to the Sioux nickname by saying this. I'm not a bad UND alumnus for saying this. I'm not a bad season ticket holder for saying this. I'm saying that I think the new nickname sucks and that is my opinion. And it's not going to change because you tell me to get over it or to move on. 

Thinking it sucks is one thing booing at a game because you think it sucks is another. it just makes you look foolish, but that's up to you.

• Downvote 2

58 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

It's all in good fun...i've only been following UND for a couple of years, so I have never actually cheered for the "Sioux".  Although i don't agree with the reasons and the thought behind having to change the name, I am not nearly as invested in the "Fighting Sioux" brand as the majority of you all.

I'm just hoping the end result isn't some silly cartoon looking bird with a grimmacing scowl and big muscle arms.  

I'm certainly not offended by sny responses here...I design corporate crap for a living and I know that you can never please everyone (especially when they don't want it in yhe first place).

i'll still wear some old Sioux gear i picked up....and will probably get something with the new logo as well.

Hope you get your company to submit for the logo process then

19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Thinking it sucks is one thing booing at a game because you think it sucks is another. it just makes you look foolish, but that's up to you.

Are they doing the same thing at the MBB and WBB Basketball games?

12 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So you would've been happy with Sundogs because that met the criteria? I think out of the names for the final 5 FH was the best choice with RoughRiders second. Kelley didn't fail nothing because he didn't allow the no nickname to stand and it shouldn't have been an option anyways (the NCAA knew where that was headed).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

13 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Exactly how I feel. 

• Upvote 2