SiouxSports.com Forum

What makes a great sports logo?

The Sicatoka

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

seems like all the bird logo's out there are 99% profile..it would be nice if someone tried a straight-on very geometric hawk...just to be different (if that's possible at all?)

yeah. I guess i'd like more options as well. a hawk in flight, or about to fight since it is fighting hawks.. whatever that would like like.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

seems like all the bird logo's out there are 99% profile..it would be nice if someone tried a straight-on very geometric hawk...just to be different (if that's possible at all?)

and drop the "fighting" too...too much scrip to fit north Dakota fighting hawks....

I'm not a fan of straight on bird logos even though they're more rare. Birds just look better from the profile.

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Your old native american logo had feathers.  This has feathers.  Sorry, your new bird logo can't have any reference to feathers  - NCAA logic

Few things you've said that can't happen, if I remember right you got them wrong. Like,  "cant have fighting in the name" etc... Maybe, just maybe, you have no idea what the NCAA will or will not allow? Just sayin...

Nice logo and good luck to the artist.

9 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Few things you've said that can't happen, if I remember right you got them wrong. Like,  "cant have fighting in the name" etc... Maybe, just maybe, you have no idea what the NCAA will or will not allow? Just sayin...

Nice logo and good luck to the artist.

I was making a joke. Sorry you can't pick up on that. I like the logo. Unfortunately it has zero chance to be the logo as UND is hiring a firm to design the new logo. I do hope they can integrate aspects of the old logo to the new one.

22 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I was making a joke. Sorry you can't pick up on that. I like the logo. Unfortunately it has zero chance to be the logo as UND is hiring a firm to design the new logo. I do hope they can integrate aspects of the old logo to the new one.

Sorry I misunderstood. "Cant pick up"? Maybe try an emoji...

Nope.

We are a state flagship university that only recently moved to DI. We need to start building our own identity that people around the country recognize as the University of North Dakota's. This is even more important now that we have lost what national brand recognition we had built up with the Sioux name. The interlocking ND does the exact opposite of that. 

Unfortunately we horribly blew our opportunity to replace a unique, very recognizable nickname/logo when a overused bird nickname was picked for athletics. Because of how f'hawking generic Hawks is I feel it's even more important now that we move away from a logo that 99.999% of people across the country see and think of a different university that's four states away. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/23/2015 at 5:43 PM, dakotadan said:

Nope.

We are a state flagship university that only recently moved to DI. We need to start building our own identity that people around the country recognize as the University of North Dakota's. This is even more important now that we have lost what national brand recognition we had built up with the Sioux name. The interlocking ND does the exact opposite of that. 

Unfortunately we horribly blew our opportunity to replace a unique, very recognizable nickname/logo when a overused bird nickname was picked for athletics. Because of how f'hawking generic Hawks is I feel it's even more important now that we move away from a logo that 99.999% of people across the country see and think of a different university that's four states away. 

Let the product sell itself.  Just win.  Any logo looks good on a champion's helmet, including the interlocking ND.  

Edit:  OK, maybe not ANY logo.

On 12/22/2015 at 9:54 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sorry, but the football helmets have had the interlocking ND on the helmets for decades.  I don't see that changing with a new name.  There was never a Sioux logo on them.  I don't see there ever being a Hawks logo either.

Maybe now is the time to drop the ND.  Its rebranding so why not?

Put the ND on the back botton of the helmet and the new logo on the sides.

The above logo is not too shabby but  the NCAA may deem the 3 feathers borderline since they are being pretty pissy with you guys these days.

The green helmet needs a thin white border around the logo to make it stand out more though.  Looks good on the white one.