SiouxSports.com Forum

"Husky Women"

KirkEisenbeis

I think Gopher Rejects gives WAAAAYYY too much credit to Minnesota. Think about the talent playing for SCSU right now. Minny would be begging for those boys, at this point.

I still don't get why the student section wouldn't chant "Sioux Rejects"  every game at the Ralph, because they are, no matter the opponent.

wait...."Hawk Rejects" now.

But I don't think Rejects is PC anymore........running out of cheers......

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

Until fans cheer for all teams equally, this will always be an issue.

In fact, that's incorrect.  Cheering won't be allowed either.  It may make other players not doing as good feel bad.

Wait, that's also incorrect.  Fans won't be allowed to attend games since from a financial standpoint, it may offend those who can't go.

Still something is missing...ah yes.  Sports itself will no longer be tolerated as it singles out those with greater skillsets than others.

There...everybody wins.

ribbon.jpg

My point on this, and John Dahl hit on in too, is that it might have been clever that first time, but after a few repetitions it loses it's newness and devolves.   it's like that guy with the goofy name that's fun to make fun of.  You say take a little shot at him and he comes back with a bored look on his face saying "ah, never heard that one before".    But if you keep going back to the well, then, who's the one who looks stupid?     You end  up looking like the dorky nephew who thinks it's funny to say when everyone else in the room is just rolling their eyes.

In this case, this is one cheer that lost its cleverness quite a long time ago, and moves into that realm where it just doesn't reflect well on the chanter.    That's my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Scenario #1: Susie says she wants to sign up for an advanced mathematics class instead of her home economics elective.

1970 - Susie's guidance counselor gives her a thorough talking to about how important those cooking skills will be when she is looking for a husband in a few years.

2015 - She takes the math class and goes on to a successful career in engineering.

Scenario #2: Jessica has been playing soccer since she was 5. She is very good and she wants to keep playing.

1970 - The school doesn't have a girls soccer team, and playing with the boys is out of the question. Wouldn't Jessica's time be better spent with her girlfriends, doing...girl things?

2015 - She plays, becomes a captain and learns about being a leader. She is able to go to college on a scholarship...because that college now offers women's soccer as well.

I actually agree with you about the "whimpification" of today's society. People are often overly sensitive and it's upsetting how often the rights of many are trampled on because a minority of people are offended about something. For many people on this board, issues like this strike an especially sensitive nerve because of what happened with the Fighting Sioux nickname, and I can certainly appreciate and sympathize with that. However, on the issue of body shaming women because their size might not be in line with what you perceive a normal woman should be, I will continue to disagree with the majority opinion here and say that a chant about "husky women" is tasteless, overused, and out of date. It shouldn't be used any more, if for nothing else, than your own selfish motives not to look like a complete jerk...because when you chant it, that is what you look like to those around you. You wouldn't say it around your boss, your wife, your mother, or your daughter...so why are you chanting it at all?

Yes, I would say it around my boss, wife, mother, daughter because it's a joke and none of them are offended by a joke. Because it is, well a joke. Get it?

• Upvote 3

For the record, I've never participated in the cheer.  Mostly because I always thought it was a silly college kids cheer but I guess I never equated it with shaming women. This is the first I've heard someone mention that and I know other people thought it was directed at the men's hockey players.

It doesn't "cause trouble" like you're referring to for me, I just wonder if we're reading into a silly college chant a little too much. 

No need to wonder... mountain... meet molehill.

• Upvote 1

For the record, I've never participated in the cheer.  Mostly because I always thought it was a silly college kids cheer but I guess I never equated it with shaming women. This is the first I've heard someone mention that and I know other people thought it was directed at the men's hockey players.

It doesn't "cause trouble" like you're referring to for me, I just wonder if we're reading into a silly college chant a little too much. 

Unfortunately, I've heard it in St. Cloud in years past while only the cheerleaders were on the ice, which is perhaps why I'm a little sensitive on it.

Yes, I would say it around my boss, wife, mother, daughter because it's a joke and none of them are offended by a joke. Because it is, well a joke. Get it?

It's a joke, yes. But it's a joke that makes a punchline out of women who are bigger than normal. I just don't think that's ok. And beyond that, it's a tired joke, time to give it a rest.

• Downvote 2

You need to practice your PC skills.  I think it's offensive that you segregate women based on their size as "normal" or not.

See how this game works?  Nobody wins and nobody ends up happy.  Nobody is truly going to get hurt from a silly chant.  If your mental capacity can't handle hearing a chant as PG as "Husky women", there are much bigger issues at play.

Thank you for taking an otherwise fine discussion and making it personal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ridiculous seems to be the norm.  Observed two persons walking this morning, they crossed a small water puddle that had frozen over.  The first person successfully crossed, the second had the ice break got slightly wet feet.  Was the second person offended by the ice and how are we going to right this wrong?