SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

We can complain about it or we can be proactive in making our hawk nickname and logo the best of the 30 or so others just as our Indian logo and nickname was the best.

Gotta let people complain, and get it out of there system.

I for one expected this, as I'm sure many did. Still ticks me off that a school puts forth that much money, and Fighting Hawks is the best, most original idea they can come up with. Add insult to injury to see Kelley get up at the microphone and tell everyone how proud he is of the process and the committees, which ultimately turned this process in a joke. 

Regardless, it is what it is. We need to move on with the name, though it is a boring one.

• Upvote 3

Yes, completely safe. Bob Kelley smiles. 

But there will be controversy when those folks that voted for FH figure out the "Maplesoft Hawks" logo won't be at UND. 

I've been "worried" that the logo was a big factor in all of this, but there is another possibility.  If it is true that the current students voted heavily for the Fighting Hawks, it could be that they are still very tied to the high school experience and therefore gave an outsized importance to the Red River nickname.  While most of the rest of us, well removed from that age, realize that high school is completely irrelevant.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 2

Funny observation, the people with a large amount of posts are ready to move on and support, not saying they're happy, but moving on.

The posters with a very low number still are bitter and posting anger...

Just my observation...

Perhaps the younger fans think the older fans dropped the ball by not being more proactive in 2005? Perhaps the younger fans on this board are face to face with the Hawks voters everyday, powerless to do anything about it and it is aggravating? Perhaps they've had less time to make peace with the fact that the ball has been dropped, since 2005. Take your pick.

Just some ideas for a unique, original logo befitting the new name:

CUG25LYWcAAZyhG.jpg large.jpg

Actually Hawkeyes isn't a hawk based name, it is historical.  When asked how Iowans should be described a newspaper writer described them as a bunch of Hawkeyes, like the character from the book Last of the Mohicans which was popular at the time.  The name stuck, Iowa became the Hawkeye State, and the school has used the nickname ever since.  The logo may be that of a hawk, but how do you describe a Hawkeye otherwise?  The logo is actually recognizable worldwide, so there is that.

In North Dakota terms, you are the Roughrider State,  UND should be the Roughriders.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps the younger fans think the older fans dropped the ball by not being more proactive in 2005? Perhaps the younger fans on this board are face to face with the Hawks voters everyday, powerless to do anything about it and it is aggravating? Perhaps they've had less time to make peace with the fact that the ball has been dropped, since 2005. Take your pick.

Sadly, I agree.

Cant argue with anything you said....

Actually Hawkeyes isn't a hawk based name, it is historical.  When asked how Iowans should be described a newspaper writer described them as a bunch of Hawkeyes, like the character from the book Last of the Mohicans which was popular at the time.  The name stuck, Iowa became the Hawkeye State, and the school has used the nickname ever since.  The logo may be that of a hawk, but how do you describe a Hawkeye otherwise?  The logo is actually recognizable worldwide, so there is that.

In North Dakota terms, you are the Roughrider State,  UND should be the Roughriders.

Thankfully, the character Hawkeye in Last of the Mochicans was white, or I am guessing the NCAA would have gone after them as well, and then I would be doubly pissed.