SiouxSports.com Forum

For The Love of God, Not Fighting Hawks

geaux_sioux

I've had different people tell me they voted for Fighting Hawks because the logo looks like the Sioux logo, because they can at least keep the Fighting part of the name, and because Hawks stands for How About We Keep Sioux.   Don't shoot the messenger.

• Upvote 1

I've had different people tell me they voted for Fighting Hawks because the logo looks like the Sioux logo, because they can at least keep the Fighting part of the name, and because Hawks stands for How About We Keep Sioux.   Don't shoot the messenger.

I wonder if Dr. Kelley knows about that little gem/urban legend/spin.

Edited by The Sicatoka

It find it absolutely amazing that a name with the word Fighting in front of it has a good chance to be UND's new nickname.  What do you think is going to happen at the Ralph when Looker gets on the PA and says "Here comes the University of North Dakota Fighting...........Hawks"  Will all these students that voted for Hawks yell Hawks  or maybe yell something else?!

Roughriders less ND-related than Hawks? Lady Riders doesn't work for the womens teams?

People have pointed out the arguments as to how much Roughriders is or isn't related(I know it's the state name.....I am not one of those) but there are several Hawks that are found in North Dakota. As far as Lady Riders? Wow, I hadn't even thought that out in my mind or read it anywhere until just now and my first thought would be are we going to add a "Brazzers" stamp to the ladies team posters?

Edited by petey23

It find it absolutely amazing that a name with the word Fighting in front of it has a good chance to be UND's new nickname.  What do you think is going to happen at the Ralph when Looker gets on the PA and says "Here comes the University of North Dakota Fighting...........Hawks"  Will all these students that voted for Hawks yell Hawks  or maybe yell something else?!

Maybe for the time being he will just continue to yell "Here comes the University of North Dakota"

as long as they don't yell fire, I think  everything will be OK. 

so what if they do ?

Who cares, werent you one of the few on here saying "no nickname wont work, violation...NCAA..blah blah. but if we choose a name and yell Sioux they can't do anything about it" aren't they just following your advice?

People have pointed out the arguments as to how much Roughriders is or isn't related(I know it's the state name.....I am not one of those) but there are several Hawks that are found in North Dakota. As far as Lady Riders? Wow, I hadn't even thought that out in my mind or read it anywhere until just now and my first thought would be are we going to add a "Brazzers" stamp to the ladies team posters?

last I checked a.  I don't recall RRHS adding lady in front of anything over there and b. last I checked a man or woman could/would break a horse in??

• Upvote 1

Ruff riders would be OK if it were the 1890s who (especially young people) relates to it today - only those that want TRs roughriders as a part of ND which is rediculous 

So DMX is the big performing artist of the 1890s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThlhSnRk21E

There's your old/new tie together. 

Even with the LOGO-that-won't-BE-the-logo floating around...at least there is an avenue of creativity there with Fighting Hawks that could result in something like the LOGO-that-won't-BE-the-logo but even cooler...that could be the REAL contest!!  But also probably result in 4-5 internet votes too...sorry

how do people know for sure the logo wouldnt be used or something similar

• Downvote 1

"I hope readers will know and understand that image has no connection to the nicknames that are being voted on," Johnson said. "Anybody who is projecting that isn't projecting the reality." - Johnson dispelling the FH logo rumor a day before the final vote begins! 
borat-very-nice.jpg

• Upvote 1