SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

Here's better:

Thank You everyone for enjoying my Blackhawks design. If it ever happens, I would be happy and sad. Alas, I no longer own the rights to it.

I bet Chicago of the NHL bought it to shelve it for when they need it. 

That means "NO" for UND. 

Looks like the Maplesoft Hawks (a young kids hockey club near Ottawa) currently have the rights to it.

I'm all for Roughriders, and if I had a vote, that's what I'd vote for.  But since it looks like Fighting Hawks will prevail, I really liked the idea someone here had last week about going with an airplane/aviation logo for Fighting Hawks.  Would make it a little more unique and might actually be something people could rally around.

• Upvote 2

People are mad with the process because a) it continuously changes and b) none of the original supposed nickname requirements have been met.

Say Fighting Hawks wins, there is nothing unique or inspiring about it. There are zillions of other schools using bird mascots and well as like 30 using Hawks.

Say Roughriders wins, yes it is unique in college but our town has a high school with the same name. There is also debate about if it evokes any local pride and is true North Dakota.

This process has been jacked up from the beginning, produced nicknames of poor quality for us to select from, and don't little to unite the fan base. The way I see it, it is pretty much an all around failure no matter which name we end up with.

Which name do you suggest then? Please offer nickname alternatives to accompany your dissatisfaction with the current choices. Nevertheless, whatever you come up with, the majority never supported it and so here we are.

I'm all for Roughriders, and if I had a vote, that's what I'd vote for.  But since it looks like Fighting Hawks will prevail, I really liked the idea someone here had last week about going with an airplane/aviation logo for Fighting Hawks.  Would make it a little more unique and might actually be something people could rally around.

But don't you remember, the committee said they want this to be representative of the entire university, not just the Aerospace department.  They had no problem keeping out nicknames that actually fit the university because of that, but somehow figured out how to get a name that really doesn't fit anything into the final ballot. 

Edited by tnt

The same student body that cheered a "Fire Kelley" sign is giving Kelley his greatest win: his inoffensive bird mascot. 

good point.  They must really dislike Roughriders if that's the case.  Can't imagine they would ever change their votes to Roughriders regardless of whatever the fighting Hawks logo is.

So why not a modern looking hawk that is totally not like the Blackhawk version ?

& yes I doubt too much like the Sioux logo would be a problem to ncaa but to HELL with them it would be worth a try & be terrible PR for them - in fact their negativity could back fire on them & really bite them in their azz

I think some of us assume the hockey team will have the new logo prominently displayed on the front of their jersey.  But just because UND prominently featured the Sioux logo does not mean it will feature the new logo on the jersey. 

I know for many, it will depend on the logo that is created.  But for me personally, I'd rather the hockey team just stay the way they are now than have a Hawk logo plastered on the front of the jersey.  And that doesn't mean it's some form of protest by the hockey team.  Most college hockey teams DO NOT have their logo prominently displayed on their primary jerseys. In most cases, the logo is either not present, just on a shoulder patch, or limited to alternate jerseys. UND could easily stick with what they have and go with a classic jersey look like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and countless other schools.  In the NCHC, I believe only CC and Duluth prominently display their logos on their primary jerseys on a regular basis. 

The football team will almost certainly not incorporate Hawks into their uniforms, as they barely incorporated the Sioux nickname into their uniforms.  Except for a brief stint in the mid 80s with a shoulder patch, and a tiny Sioux logo on the collar in the 00s, I don't think the football team ever incorporated the nickname into their uniforms.  

The basketball team is also unlikely to incorporate the logo.  The uniforms used to say SIOUX in block letters, so maybe they might say HAWKS someday, but I hope they just keep it the same as they have now.

How so? The committee (who was tasked to come up with a new nickname) removed it (because it isn't a nickname) with exact same process that eliminated everything but the top 5. The only complaining that is justified is because it got a second look when nothing else did.

The same committee that was given a criteria to follow and allowed "Fighting Hawks" to make the cut? 

• Upvote 1

I think some of us assume the hockey team will have the new logo prominently displayed on the front of their jersey.  But just because UND prominently featured the Sioux logo does not mean it will feature the new logo on the jersey. 

I know for many, it will depend on the logo that is created.  But for me personally, I'd rather the hockey team just stay the way they are now than have a Hawk logo plastered on the front of the jersey.  And that doesn't mean it's some form of protest by the hockey team.  Most college hockey teams DO NOT have their logo prominently displayed on their primary jerseys. In most cases, the logo is either not present, just on a shoulder patch, or limited to alternate jerseys. UND could easily stick with what they have and go with a classic jersey look like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and countless other schools.  In the NCHC, I believe only CC and Duluth prominently display their logos on their primary jerseys on a regular basis. 

The football team will almost certainly not incorporate Hawks into their uniforms, as they barely incorporated the Sioux nickname into their uniforms.  Except for a brief stint in the mid 80s with a shoulder patch, and a tiny Sioux logo on the collar in the 00s, I don't think the football team ever incorporated the nickname into their uniforms.  

The basketball team is also unlikely to incorporate the logo.  The uniforms used to say SIOUX in block letters, so maybe they might say HAWKS someday, but I hope they just keep it the same as they have now.

Hopefully the hockey team gets a new design soon.  I can't imagine ever buying a jersey with the current design.  The giant hole in the center of the jersey (when you don't pay extra to have numbers put there) makes it look awful.  I agree that they likely won't have a big hawk on the front of the jersey though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Which name do you suggest then? Please offer nickname alternatives to accompany your dissatisfaction with the current choices. Nevertheless, whatever you come up with, the majority never supported it and so here we are.

Doesn't matter what nickname I suggest as that stage has long since past and numerous better nicknames were discarded. But if you want to be a generic bird mascot might as well be something like the Artic Raptors than the Fighting Hawks.

Edited by WiSioux

Yes but I could also see a memo being sent out from the Administration that basically forces teams to add the logo to improve fan acceptance. 

I see a massive battle ahead on the logo

Something lots of folks & students willing to get behind 

I don't think UND is going to go through a similar process for the logo as they did for the name.  They'll simply release what the logo is and move on from there.  However, there will be a lot of Hawks voters who are very disappointed and a lot of Roughriders voters saying "I told you so," which could lead to future protests, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

I don't think UND is going to go through a similar process for the logo as they did for the name.  They'll simply release what the logo is and move on from there.  However, there will be a lot of Hawks voters who are very disappointed and a lot of Roughriders voters saying "I told you so," which could lead to future protests, unfortunately.

I can live with Fighting Hawks, even if it isn't my first choice. My two no-no's were Sundogs and Nodaks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I participated in1 of the 4 hour focus meetings at the start of this process.  Hard to accept that FH will probably win and doesn't meet any of the criteria that was given to the committee.

Seems the only criterion that counts is that the consultants have their payday. I bet it took them three minutes at most to come up with Fighting Hawks.

How so? The committee (who was tasked to come up with a new nickname) removed it (because it isn't a nickname) with exact same process that eliminated everything but the top 5. The only complaining that is justified is because it got a second look when nothing else did.

Are we really going to go over this again?!?!?!?! 

Yes, people are justified in North Dakota being eliminated. Not because of the fact that it was eliminated, but because of the timing of when it was eliminated. This option (given its popularity) should have either been eliminated on day one, or left as an option throughout the process. You don't dangle the carrot out there, then take it away at the end. 

If people on this message board can understand the ramifications of eliminating a very popular option, and how it would tick of stake holder, then member of this "committee" should have certainly had that understanding. On the first day of nickname discussions, this should have been an agenda item:

So team, North Dakota/No Nickname is going to be a very popular option, though certainly controversial ..... How should we approach it.

1. - We allow the fans/students/alumni what they want to keep up moral, maintain school and program interest, and minimize offending our stakeholders.
  2. - We squash this option right away, and announce that it is just not feasible. No Nickname would be a hardship on the school from a sales, marketing/branding, advertising perspective.

Pick either #1 or #2, then stick with it. Removing North Dakota/No Nickname WHEN THEY DID, was just the beginning of a sting of inconsistencies that have everyone believing that this entire process was a joke.

I've heard a little to much defending of this committee that they did their job in eliminating North Dakota. Maybe they did, but with a horrible approach. Undoubtedly, this committee DID NOT do their job, or even abide by their own guidelines. Had they done so, Fighting Hawks would not have even made the initial cut, as there is nothing unique about it.

Bottom Line: People are completely justified to be upset with the President, the committee, the process, the final nickname. None of this was handled well from day one. I will give credit where credit it due. When the voting initially started, they seemed to do that well. It was restricted to the most vested of stakeholders (ticket holders, students, alumni, etc.), but then they managed to even screw that up, but changing the voting process halfway through (and that was to include my personal choice). This entire thing has be a debacle.

Think there's a possibility that whatever wins will go the way of the Flickertails once something that feels right comes about? 

Think there's a possibility that whatever wins will go the way of the Flickertails once something that feels right comes about

I'm not sure how that would happen unless the students and a significant number of alumni united and made a push for a certain name (which doesn't seem likely to me).  Even when the Sioux name was adopted, it was met with resistance.  I think we'll be sitting with Hawks for 25+ years.

• Upvote 1