SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

I was a big time Nodak supporter, going back quite a while, and I'll now be moving to roughriders. Not happy about it, but it has become even more of a less of two evils for me. It is what it is. 

And I can say if RR would have been cut I would have switched my vote to Nodaks. 

• Upvote 3

Brad Schlossman with a sad reality tweet earlier tonight:

@SchlossmanGF: After all that time and energy spent trying to find a unique nickname, UND will most likely be the 29th version of a hawk in college sports.

Sad is an understatement.

I was a big time Nodak supporter, going back quite a while, and I'll now be moving to roughriders. Not happy about it, but it has become even more of a less of two evils for me. It is what it is. 

It's kinda like being sentenced to death but you get the option between firing squad or hanging!  Leaves you with a decision based on which is less painful.

I am glad that after 3 years of having no nickname and having the media especially during the play by play of a game mentioning having no nickname, it will finally be over. We will be the UND Fighting Hawks or the UND Roughriders. This begins a new chapter in our rich history that extends over 100 years. From the Flickertails to the Fighting Sioux to the XXXX (whatever this vote will determine). UND can have a new logo, new uniforms, new chants, new mascot (unless the bleacher creature is still lurking around). But when we sit in the stands, sit in our favorite chair, or sit in our cars watching/listening to the game we will still cheer for the University of North Dakota as we have before, but maybe this will unite our fanbase which hasn't been done since this whole nickname issue started back in 2005, and we can make this university and its fan base the strongest in the state. I am very proud wearing gear that says University of North Dakota and if it has a Hawk or a Roughrider, a Sioux or nothing at all the words University of North Dakota is powerful enough. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Fighting Hawks and Roughriders advance to the final ballot.

Voting starts Wednesday and will end by the 16th

Herald says: 

The final runoff between these two names will be held for eligible voters beginning Nov. 12 at noon Central Time and concluding at 11:59 p.m. Central Time Nov. 16. A winner will be announced later that week.

Which is Thursday, so which is correct? 

• Upvote 1

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but my goodness, you'd swear by some comments that UND just announced they are dropping men's hockey. I honestly can understand the frustration because this entire fiasco has been frustrating, but with that said, its time to get a name and work with it. No one was able to produce a quality name, so, here we are. The nickname will be the Fighting Hawks, with a very slim chance of it becoming Roughriders. In both circumstances, its time to support the University of North Dakota and the direction we all have been forced to go. To continue to criticize the process yet offer no alternative solutions is just contentious, and for those who have offered solutions, they should understand how difficult it has been for the majority to accept them. Ultimately, UND needed a nickname. Yes, its unfortunate for all those coddled, entitled individuals (okay, not exactly...), but remaining nickname-less was not an option and the options that were given were as good as all the others. So, buy some damn Hawk shirts and keep going to games. Before you know it, if you REALLY ARE A SUPPORTER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA, you'll be chanting "Fighting Hawks chants" and yelling "Go Hawks!" And if you absolutely wish to consciously abstain from that, then at least you'll be in attendance supporting UND athletics, albeit irritable and disputable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but my goodness, you'd swear by some comments that UND just announced they are dropping men's hockey. I honestly can understand the frustration because this entire fiasco has been frustrating, but with that said, its time to get a name and work with it. No one was able to produce a quality name, so, here we are. The nickname will be the Fighting Hawks, with a very slim chance of it becoming Roughriders. In both circumstances, its time to support the University of North Dakota and the direction we all have been forced to go. To continue to criticize the process yet offer no alternative solutions is just contentious, and for those who have offered solutions, they should understand how difficult it has been for the majority to accept them. Ultimately, UND needed a nickname. Yes, its unfortunate for all those coddled, entitled individuals (okay, not exactly...), but remaining nickname-less was not an option and the options that were given were as good as all the others. So, buy some damn Hawk shirts and keep going to games. Before you know it, if you REALLY ARE A SUPPORTER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA, you'll be chanting "Fighting Hawks chants" and yelling "Go Hawks!" And if you absolutely wish to consciously abstain from that, then at least you'll be in attendance supporting UND athletics, albeit irritable and disputable. 

People are mad with the process because a) it continuously changes and b) none of the original supposed nickname requirements have been met.

Say Fighting Hawks wins, there is nothing unique or inspiring about it. There are zillions of other schools using bird mascots and well as like 30 using Hawks.

Say Roughriders wins, yes it is unique in college but our town has a high school with the same name. There is also debate about if it evokes any local pride and is true North Dakota.

This process has been jacked up from the beginning, produced nicknames of poor quality for us to select from, and don't little to unite the fan base. The way I see it, it is pretty much an all around failure no matter which name we end up with.

• Upvote 1

People are mad with the process because a) it continuously changes and b) none of the original supposed nickname requirements have been met.

Say Fighting Hawks wins, there is nothing unique or inspiring about it. There are zillions of other schools using bird mascots and well as like 30 using Hawks.

Say Roughriders wins, yes it is unique in college but our town has a high school with the same name. There is also debate about if it evokes any local pride and is true North Dakota.

This process has been jacked up from the beginning, produced nicknames of poor quality for us to select from, and don't little to unite the fan base. The way I see it, it is pretty much an all around failure no matter which name we end up with.

to be fair, people were complaining 6 months ago, 3 months ago, 1 month ago...about everything that even related to the process.  There was major complaining long before they started changing the rules.

ugh, that thing is ugly. I actually have seen that before, but I couldn't believe it was responsible for garnering votes. What is wrong with people?!

Somebody told someone else whose cousin's sister's best friend heard that ALL the students believe that will be the logo and that is why they are voting for Fighting Hawks and it has nothing to do that for whatever reason many of the students feel that Fighting Hawks sucks less than the other 2 options or that maybe they don't want to attend a University with the same name as a local high school.

• Upvote 1