SiouxSports.com Forum

It's showtime! Sioux @ Minnesota

ScottM

Kuhninca, if the amount of money I took from my Minnesota friends tonight @ Mariucci is any indication, most Minnesota fans really support their team.  However, most "savvy" Minnesota fans I know still worry about mid-season swoons, Hauser and traditional overconfidence.  I was just hoping for a 1-2 pt spread, so I was overjoyed, but not overly surprised by a third period comeback in some form.  

Nice win for the team.  Even if we split, I think this win should help the team develop a greater degree of confidence, especially for the younger guys.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm enjoying this win so much more because of those goofer fans who are all up in arms about Blais bringing in Siembida half-way through the year.

And those who were a bit cocky.

Most of their fans were no different from us, but it is fun to watch them grind their teeth after tonite's game.

Sioux have a ways to go before we are a top team, though, in my opinion.  Here's to strong effort all 3 periods tomorrow night.

This was from Santa Lucia, nice guy, but Whew...

However, I caution people who are getting optimistic about UND's chances this season - this is just one game, and quite frankly, UND didn't look very good. They sustained zero offensive pressure, with the exception of one little flurry. MN simply stopped playing after the first period, and it was simply a waiting game to see if UND would capitalize or not (they did - eventually).

Huh, game did he watch?

(Edited by Goon at 9:03 am on Jan. 6, 2002)

Nice to make someone (SL) who once seemed a "reasonable" Gopher fan turn to ranting the way he has after last night. Must be feeling very low to feel the need to let Sioux fans know (in a very condescending way) that the team stinks. He's gotten a bit full of himself lately, and apparently is having trouble handling being wrong.

(Edited by sprig at 10:22 am on Jan. 6, 2002)

Well, I love the teeth grinding by goofer fans, and no mistake.

But I gotta say, I really didn't think the Sioux looked that good last night for most of the game.  They made the best of the few opportunities.   People who know the game better than I might disagree, but I thought it was pretty ugly hockey game all around.

The consensus seems to be that the game was poorly played by both teams, at least in some categories.  For UND, the puck movement was bad.  Goaltending good.

For UM, pressing too much led to odd-man scoring chances for UND.  Goaltending not as good.

I expect the Sioux to have a better game offensively tonight.  I worry about Brandt letting in a few softies, though.  If UND can't clear the zone better (D. Hale - you need a tutor on passing from behind the net), we'll be in trouble.

Go Sioux.

Yep, Mr. Hale is dangerous back there. Hold my breath every time he's back there alone with the puck. Goalie better be very focused when he tries the outlet pass up the middle, generally dead on an opponent's stick.

I'd have to agree the Sioux did not get the forecheck going that worked at the GLI. MN did a fairly good job slowing them down with clutches and hooks. Got to beat those and put more pressure on the goph D.

(Edited by sprig at 11:49 am on Jan. 6, 2002)

Go4Fan, I agree pretty much with what you say.  Don't you think we are going to have some great games with great goaltenders the next few years?!

Very excited as I think Canady had a great series, and also Ryan Hale.  Both played very well, and seem improved.

The gophers are a very good team. And I think the Sioux are coming on.  They still need help in their own zone, and with their transition game but they are getting better.  I think that will continue.

Hey, anybody out there get to hear Blais comments after these games.  Please post recaps if you will.

Dagies there were a lot of Clanks in that game last night, UofM was lucky to get any points out of thiks game. I think Siembida should play the rest of the way from here on out.

I think this is what Blais was talking about the guys are jelling and bonding on the road, they are going to be a force. Look out WCHA...