SiouxSports.com Forum

yababy8

I guess that makes me a bad person.:(

I don' see where i implied that.

My point is that there are so many UND supporters i think you overestimate the proportionality of likeminded thinkers.  Its a huge pool of people, with many demographics, i think there is a variety of sentiments on how to move into UND fandom P.N. (Post Nickname)

petey, are you familiar with writer named Pauline Kael?

"How could Nixon have won? Nobody I know voted for him" -- Pauline Kael after the 1972 Presidential election

Vaguely. Never been compared to a liberal before.

So just a basic question for you.

Do you honestly believe that when an alum who graduated in 2011 or earlier when faced with the realization that they are unable to find any Sioux apparel will then when given the choice purchase Nodak or Roughrider or Fighting Hawks apparel versus just buying a cool design that has UND or The University of North Dakota on it?

If your answer is yes.......see Marquette, University of

Pre-2011 graduate (quiet Rick). 

Stopped wearing any and all stuff with the old name. Even dumped my golf club head covers. 

I bought a couple "interlocked ND" hats to get me through and have been biding my time for new logo apparel. 

I can only speak for myself however. 

Do you honestly believe that when an alum who graduated in 2011 or earlier when faced with the realization that they are unable to find any Sioux apparel will then when given the choice purchase Nodak or Roughrider or Fighting Hawks apparel versus just buying a cool design that has UND or The University of North Dakota on it?

I will be.....

There hasn't been Sioux apparel in Bismarck for a while now.  If the last 3 years has shown me anything, it's that they are really struggling to produce a cool design that has UND or The University of North Dakota on it.  I've been holding out for the new name, which hopefully comes soon because my hats are getting pretty gross.

Personally, I'll be buying things with the new logo. Haven't really cared all that much for the interlocking merchandise that has been out there, majority of it is quite uninspiring. It is a nice secondary logo but it doesn't do much to move the needle otherwise. Plus it is always fun when people confuse it with Notre Dame.

Personally, I'll be buying things with the new logo. Haven't really cared all that much for the interlocking merchandise that has been out there, majority of it is quite uninspiring. It is a nice secondary logo but it doesn't do much to move the needle otherwise. Plus it is always fun when people confuse it with Notre Dame.

I'm not sure what I will do as far as purchasing new gear yet. I still have quite a bit of my Sioux gear, and will probably wear it because I just really like it. I don't think I would ever buy a new hockey jersey, but I would consider buying a t-shirt or maybe a hat.

As for the interlocking ND logo, I hope they continue to sell merchandise with just that, in addition to whatever the new name or logo is. Though I think they need to do a better job of designing their products. Like you said, a lot of the merchandise has been rather uninspiring. People may confuse it with Notre Dame, but honestly that doesn't bother me all that much. Like I said, they could improve how they use the logo on their merchandise. Notre Dame is able to use it well, and I actually thought UND used it well back in the early 2000's, but recently our merchandise has been rather bland; which I think comes down to more of a design issue than and actual name or logo issue.

80s era grad. Still have Sioux and Fighting Sioux stuff, wear it less often than before and some is wearing out. Have purchased and wear various items of apparel with North Dakota or University of North Dakota, but purchase less often than before because it has been pretty boring. Agree with jdub, the interlocking ND doesn't excite me because I've had people ask me about Notre Dame while wearing it. It isn't a real effective brand if people automatically associate it with another school. Will purchase and wear new nickname and logo merchandise, how much I purchase will depend on how much I like it. I will probably continue to buy UND and North Dakota stuff, I've always had some of that in addition to Sioux merch.

Of course the "ND" logo seems uninspiring... That is because it came after the SIOUX gear that was very inspiring. You don't hear Oklahoma fans or North Carolina fans call their interlocking letter logos uninspiring. That's because its is the main logo they have been using for quite some time. I don't care if you've moved on from the Sioux name or not, that merchandise is some of the best out their in ALL sports categories. For people to give someone hell for saying they won't buy the new stuff is ridiculous. If the new stuff is "uninspiring" as some of you say the interlocking ND is, then don't expect to see an uptick in merchandise sales. 

And nothing would move less merchandise than Nodaks.  No nickname would generate more merchandise than this choice, are you kidding me.

you have literally no way of knowing that. You might be right; you might not be. But youre only going off your personal taste.

• Upvote 1

Yes.  And I have as much UND & Sioux merchandise as anybody (wear it to work 2-3 days a week).  I will add the new stuff to my collection.

Of course the "ND" logo seems uninspiring... That is because it came after the SIOUX gear that was very inspiring. You don't hear Oklahoma fans or North Carolina fans call their interlocking letter logos uninspiring. That's because its is the main logo they have been using for quite some time. I don't care if you've moved on from the Sioux name or not, that merchandise is some of the best out their in ALL sports categories. For people to give someone hell for saying they won't buy the new stuff is ridiculous. If the new stuff is "uninspiring" as some of you say the interlocking ND is, then don't expect to see an uptick in merchandise sales. 

The advantage that Oklahoma and North Carolina fans have (along with the multiple designs and variations of their interlocking letter logos) is that they are unique and not easily confused with one of the most recognizable colleges in the world. No matter how you slice it, that is a fact. UND's interlocking ND will always play second fiddle to and be confused with Notre Dame's interlocking ND.

As for the time comment, UND has been using the interlocking logo for quite some time as well, likely over a century depending on what variation you want to look at. Time has nothing to do with it.

I agree, I have a gift certificate to the Sioux Shop and back in the day it would have been spent in a heartbeat.  Now I look through everything and say maybe I'll wait to see if anything comes in that has the "Look".   Can't say that I've seen anything with just North Dakota that has me thinking I have to get that.  I do think any of the names that get selected could have logo potential if they go about it right, which means ditch the consultant needing to sign off on a logo.  

Edited by tnt

Just don't get how people could agree to buy newly designed merch sight unseen.You all saw that Biscuits logo, right?

Because it's going to be the new nickname of UND forever

The quicker you accept that the easier your life will become.

One thing you notice with all this nickname change is how actual uninspired so many names/logos are in college athletics:

Redhawks, Bison, Gophers, Coyotes, Ducks, Badgers.

The new nickname/logo will grow on people. And it'll become less of an issue everyday that goes by.

Edited by Cratter

Just don't get how people could agree to buy newly designed merch sight unseen.You all saw that Biscuits logo, right?   

They screwed up the Biscuits logo by not using bacon strips to dot the i's.

I don't think it is real hard to understand why people are going to buy new gear sight unseen: Because it represents the University of North Dakota and that is what is important.  No different than the Fighting Sioux name and logo did (hopefully with less controversy), same as the interlocking logo has and will (hopefully with less confusion). 

Edited by jdub27
  • Upvote 1

I don't get how people can be so attached to an old logo that they are already questioning their acceptance of the new one, and it hasn't even been designed yet.

If it's UND's logo, I am wearing it.  

• Upvote 2

I don't get how people can be so attached to an old logo that they are already questioning their acceptance of the new one, and it hasn't even been designed yet.

If it's UND's logo, I am wearing it.  

For the record, I have very little attachment to the Sioux imagery, in fact as of this moment I own none.

I will be buying University of North Dakota merchandise, to support the University of North Dakota. The school itself and the athletic programs for that school have been the most important things for me all along. Not being attached to a specific nickname and logo. Does that make it easier to understand?