SiouxSports.com Forum

Nodaks: 100% bland

UNDBIZ

Nodaks = 100% bland - an abbreviated version of the name of the state

Fighting Hawks = 85% bland - it's another hawk

Roughriders = 10% bland - state nickname (same as the 2 prior UND nicknames), historical reference, only drawback is some people seem to care that it's used by a high school (personally, I quit caring about high school sports almost immediately after graduating from high school)

;)

Choosing the name of a local high school isn't unique, which makes the choice rather bland or "blah" to me.

• Downvote 1

Choosing the name of a local high school isn't unique, which makes the choice rather bland or "blah" to me.

Nobody else in the NCAA has Roughriders. Unless we are planning on scheduling GFRR in something, I don't think it matters if both schools use it at the same time. Climax-Fisher didn't implode because G.F. Central decided to use Knights in the mid 1990's and neither will GFRR.

Nobody else in the NCAA has Roughriders. Unless we are planning on scheduling GFRR in something, I don't think it matters if both schools use it at the same time. Climax-Fisher didn't implode because G.F. Central decided to use Knights in the mid 1990's and neither will GFRR.

I'm not opposed to Roughriders as a nickname for UND. Not sure that is how I'll vote when I get to it later this week, though. That said, you keep bringing up C-F and GFC. This is an invalid comparison as they are not in the same community. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not opposed to Roughriders as a nickname for UND. Not sure that is how I'll vote when I get to it later this week, though. That said, you keep bringing up C-F and GFC. This is an invalid comparison as they are not in the same community. 

But they are in the same media market, so they might as well be in the same town. And I believe some Climax-Fisher people were whining about GFC using Knights back when that issue was being sorted out. And I am so glad when GFC just ignored them and did what was right for the school and it's boosters. That is what I want UND stakeholders to do.

It's the best example I can come up with; if anyone else has something better, please do share it.

But they are in the same media market, so they might as well be in the same town. And I believe some Climax-Fisher people were whining about GFC using Knights back when that issue was being sorted out. And I am so glad when GFC just ignored them and did what was right for the school and it's boosters. That is what I want UND stakeholders to do.

It's the best example I can come up with; if anyone else has something better, please do share it.

All of North Dakota is in the same media market.

While I am not a big fan of any of the "top" 3 nicknames, I think in the end (while it may take a while) I will be able to get behind one of them.

My curiosity in forum members opinions has kept me coming back to keep reading. However, the highly opinionated lobbyists with closed minded attitudes about logo possibilities has led me to to make the decision to check out of the "Nickname" portion of SiouxSports until this process is complete. There doesn't seem to be any original thoughts or critical thinking going on.  Just propaganda.

A number of years ago, Minnesota chose "Wild" as a team name.  Just imagining about how their process might of went, I can only guess what fans were saying.  "What the heck is a wild?" Guess what, a talented graphic artist started laying out ideas.  I bet a few were rejected, but who have ever thought that "Wild" could be depicted by an animal head with trees, sunset, north star as an eye, and river for its mouth. In my opinion, one of the best logos out there.  They came up with something abstract and put an image to it.

While I am not truly excited about any of the remaining three names, but to say that they have no potential for logo ideas is very short sighted. I believe there are a number of possibilities for any one of these ideas. In reality, if somehow Nodaks was chosen.  I believe that a graphic artist could probably come up with some good ideas.  A logo wouldn't have to be a hick, or farmer or anything like that. I work with an excellent graphic artist and she comes up with things for work that I could never even imagine.

Full disclosure, my pick is Nodaks, followed by Roughriders, and lastly Fighting Hawks.  However, I believe there is more graphic potential for Fighting Hawks than Roughriders.

I will still be in sports forums, but these ones involving the nickname have become stale.

• Upvote 1

And Nodaks, like the Wild, gives you something abstract that you can use as a blank slate for an image.  There is no preconceived notion about Nodaks like there is the other two names and it allows you to define your story and tell it.

I also have been drawn into the nickname threads, an outsider looking in.  I don't have a stake in any of this, in fact, kind of the opposite since USD is an old rival of yours.  It is just kind of fascinating to watch the debates rage on, gives an insight into the human psyche.

In another thread I posted my thoughts (anything but Fighting Hawks, that's lame).  Ultimately the UND community will have to decide on something.

And Nodaks, like the Wild, gives you something abstract that you can use as a blank slate for an image.  There is no preconceived notion about Nodaks like there is the other two names and it allows you to define your story and tell it.

Their logo also is usually in the bottom to bottom half of any logo rankings because of this.