SiouxSports.com Forum

When/If Fighting Hawks win since that is what is rigged to happen...

01grad

Who is to stop anybody from marketing or making up another logo like the one floating around out there for everybody to wear? Sure it might not be the same as what the team would wear, but couldn't we do our own thing in defiance to backfire their glorious plan? Don't get me wrong because either way I plan to wear my many Sioux jerseys anyway still for the rest of my life and wouldn't even need to buy a new one. Hopefully game worn jerseys won't be such a hot commodity anymore, but who would lose out on that extra cost though? The only other issue is that it seems as things move on and more people come to the University everything changes anyway because I have seen huge, huge changes as to what the norm is during games, etc. since the old Ralph was around.

• Upvote 1

Who is to stop anybody from marketing or making up another logo like the one floating around out there for everybody to wear? Sure it might not be the same as what the team would wear, but couldn't we do our own thing in defiance to backfire their glorious plan? Don't get me wrong because either way I plan to wear my many Sioux jerseys anyway still for the rest of my life and wouldn't even need to buy a new one. Hopefully game worn jerseys won't be such a hot commodity anymore, but who would lose out on that extra cost though? The only other issue is that it seems as things move on and more people come to the University everything changes anyway because I have seen huge, huge changes as to what the norm is during games, etc. since the old Ralph was around.

Man, don't get me started on this. When the old REA closed its doors for good in 2001, it marked the end of one of the best home-ice advantages in college hockey. The new REA will never match that. At least the Betty is similar to Hyslop in terms of atmosphere and home-court advantage.

• Upvote 2

Man, don't get me started on this. When the old REA closed its doors for good in 2001, it marked the end of one of the best home-ice advantages in college hockey. The new REA will never match that. At least the Betty is similar to Hyslop in terms of atmosphere and home-court advantage.

:0  Twice in a row I've agreed with you.  THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE!  

• Upvote 2

Here's a thought...instead of pissing on everything Fighting Hawk that might come out from whatever source what if there's a concerted effort to say...okay...this is going to be the name so lets make the logo as badass as possible (without THAT logo floating around now on the internets or any other designs with feathers that will be bitched and ditched - there is NO CHANCE they will be the logo selected!)

NO ONE likes this process but face facts....Fighting Hawks will most likely be the name.   NOW IS YOUR CHANCE to make something out of literally nothing and come up with something that might make us say...it's not the old logo but I LIKE IT!  I'm sure UND would be happy to drop another 100 G's on ANOTHER CONSULTANT who would come up with 'professional' designs but look what a ND artist did with the last logo....there IS inspiration out there - WE JUST NEED TO TAP INTO IT!  

Instead of being negative how about channeling some of this energy into being positive and see what we can come up with.

You do realize our record at the new REA is better than the old, don't you?  At the old arena it was something like .690, while at the new arena we are over .700, at least the last time I looked.  Furthermore, if you ignore the very first year at the new arena, when candidly there was zero home ice advantage because the rink was new to the players and all the fans just walked around gawking, we have something like a .720 winning percentage at the new Ralph.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

You do realize our record at the new REA is better than the old, don't you?  At the old arena it was something like .690, while at the new arena we are over .700, at least the last time I looked.  Furthermore, if you ignore the very first year at the new arena, when candidly there was zero home ice advantage because the rink was new to the players and all the fans just walked around gawking, we have something like a .720 winning percentage at the new Ralph.

Good point here. While the old arena could get pretty loud and had a much more "anything goes" type feel to it, winning percentages say otherwise for home ice advantage.

Just for the record, I loved the old Ralph and love the new one too.

Who is to stop anybody from marketing or making up another logo like the one floating around out there for everybody to wear? Sure it might not be the same as what the team would wear, but couldn't we do our own thing in defiance to backfire their glorious plan?

What exactly was the glorious plan? The company line has always been that the "administration" was in favor of Sundogs. That ended up last in the poll. Now somehow they masterminded Fighting Hawks to come in first? Or they somehow managed to get Nodaks and Roughriders within what would generally be the statistical margin of error and felt that because of how close they were, both should be included? Which for the record is a decision I disagree with, but I digress. Trying to make everyone feel included isn't exactly what I would call a glorious plan.

And you also must realize that the old REA was in use about twice as long as the new REA has been in use since it opened. We have had one losing season since the new REA opened, while the old REA saw some lean years in the 1970's and early 1990's. So of course the winning percentage will be better in the new REA vs. the old REA. The simple fact is, the old REA seated fewer people (6,067) and all of those people were die-hard, rabid fans of the team. The new REA holds twice as many (12,000), but has a lot of corporate, "here to be seen by whomever" fans, some of whom probably don't know the difference between off-sides and icing. That, my friend, is why the new REA will never quite match the intensity and chaos of the old REA.

What exactly was the glorious plan? The company line has always been that the "administration" was in favor of Sundogs. That ended up last in the poll. Now somehow they masterminded Fighting Hawks to come in first? Or they somehow managed to get Nodaks and Roughriders within what would generally be the statistical margin of error and felt that because of how close they were, both should be included? Which for the record is a decision I disagree with, but I digress.

Why can't Kelley change his mind?  Normal behavior for any typical voter.

And you also must realize that the old REA was in use about twice as long as the new REA has been in use since it opened. We have had one losing season since the new REA opened, while the old REA saw some lean years in the 1970's and early 1990's. So of course the winning percentage will be better in the new REA vs. the old REA. The simple fact is, the old REA seated fewer people (6,067) and all of those people were die-hard, rabid fans of the team. The new REA holds twice as many (12,000), but has a lot of corporate, "here to be seen by whomever" fans, some of whom probably don't know the difference between off-sides and icing. That, my friend, is why the new REA will never quite match the intensity and chaos of the old REA.

Except those fans weren't rabid during the lean years in the early 90's  In other words it was an advantage when you were winning, which is probably the case with the New Ralph as well.  

Except those fans weren't rabid during the lean years in the early 90's  In other words it was an advantage when you were winning, which is probably the case with the New Ralph as well.  

I agree, but the original point was that the new REA has a better winning percentage. I simply wanted to point out that the new REA has been around half as long as the old REA was, thus skewing the percentages.

Here's a thought...instead of pissing on everything Fighting Hawk that might come out from whatever source what if there's a concerted effort to say...okay...this is going to be the name so lets make the logo as badass as possible (without THAT logo floating around now on the internets or any other designs with feathers that will be bitched and ditched - there is NO CHANCE they will be the logo selected!)

NO ONE likes this process but face facts....Fighting Hawks will most likely be the name.   NOW IS YOUR CHANCE to make something out of literally nothing and come up with something that might make us say...it's not the old logo but I LIKE IT!  I'm sure UND would be happy to drop another 100 G's on ANOTHER CONSULTANT who would come up with 'professional' designs but look what a ND artist did with the last logo....there IS inspiration out there - WE JUST NEED TO TAP INTO IT!  

Instead of being negative how about channeling some of this energy into being positive and see what we can come up with.

I would hope the new logo would be fresh and young looking as the target audience will be current and future students and young fans of UND....as an alum, myself and most others in my group will continue to wear Fighting Sioux gear and UND gear and anything I buy in the future would likely promote UND. I do not see myself purchasing any apparel or merchandise that has the new name/logo on it unless if is very understated within a cool design.

I agree, but the original point was that the new REA has a better winning percentage. I simply wanted to point out that the new REA has been around half as long as the old REA was, thus skewing the percentages.

... but your orignial point was that the old Ralph had a huge home ice advantage.  Yes, in years they are winning it did, but when they weren't, not so much.  So far we haven't really seen that in the new Ralph, and with the recruiting tool of the building, hopefully we don't anytime soon.  So if we keep on top and keep seeing packed crowds because of the advantages it gives us in recruiting, I would call that a bigger home ice advantage. 

... but your orignial point was that the old Ralph had a huge home ice advantage.  Yes, in years they are winning it did, but when they weren't, not so much.  So far we haven't really seen that in the new Ralph, and with the recruiting tool of the building, hopefully we don't anytime soon.  So if we keep on top and keep seeing packed crowds because of the advantages it gives us in recruiting, I would call that a bigger home ice advantage. 

This is true of any building, no matter how nice or ugly it is. And don't think we cannot have down years; look at what is happening in Madison right now. It can and will happen, as much as I wish it would not.

And before the new REA, UND was at a disadvantage regarding facilities when compared to Minnesota and some other schools. And that didn't stop us from winning championships and putting winning teams on the ice. Facilities are important, and at some point we would have had to upgrade our home arena, but they are not necessarily more important than coaching, recruiting, community support, fundraising and so on.

My point is that after being in both buildings, the Old REA had much more intensity than the new REA. I know we can't go back in time and I accept that, but I was just pointing it out.

It isn't skewing the percentages.  The sample sizes are just different.  Do you want me to go and look to see what the winning percentage was during the first 300 games at the old Ralph, so the sample sizes are identical?

I attended games as a kid in the old, old barn, the crappy quonset hut that had a lot of character but candidly I have no interest in going back to.  The old REA was loud (sometimes) but that was because we were essentially sitting in a 50 gallon oil drum.  I get tired of hearing about the supposed advantage we gave up when we left the old REA.  Pure fiction compared to what we have now.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This is not a "simple fact", it is blatantly false. I know people who were absolutely not "die-hard, rabid fans" at the old Ralph.

Again, I loved the old REA for it's charm and it could absolutely get loud(due to a lower roof and less area for sound to travel) to give us home ice advantage but would I go back if I had the choice? No way.