SiouxSports.com Forum

We can make this Roughriders vrs. Fighting Hawks

NDinCO

The problem is I couldn't care less what other schools think of our name. If we care wwhat they think why not let them vote on our name. 

It's not a problem until Nodak gets voted  as the new Nickname of the University of North Dakota. I guess in the future (completely hypothetical) I would rather sit after a football game discussing the game rather than answering questions about the Nodak nickname.. I can't blame them for making fun of it, which kinda sucks

I made the choice to not vote for any of the names because they all suck and at this point I will not be happy with anything that get selected.  I will support whatever name is picked but the process has been a joke and I just can't bring myself to pick the least crappy option. Why the hell bother with adding fighting to the name hawks?

And you don't think Nodaks sucks?  I mean seriously.....Nodaks?  Man we think people are making fun of us for not having a nickname..........but if we are the University of North Dakota Nodaks........I won't be able to blame them one bit for making fun of that name.   I guess the people who wanted it to just stay North Dakota feel so strongly about it....that they are deciding to vote for a ridiculous nickname because it is close to North Dakota.  Great logic.  :) 

I like it! Go Nodaks!

The superiority complex of some people on this site regarding a nickname is astounding.  I think we'd all agree this is a less than ideal scenario but continually harping that your choice is somehow factually better than another is just ridiculous.  As Stoneysioux has stated, you're not changing anyone's mind by putting people down and dividing our fanbase. 

Also... do we really care what other fanbases say about our nickname? That's what we're going for? Something that Gopher, Pioneers, and Maverick fans will pat us on the back for and say "hey great nickname, I wish that was ours".  This isn't going to happen.  We had the best logo and nickname in the country (my opinion) and that still happened. 

• Upvote 4

I know how I voted. (Anyone can do a quick search and figure it out here.)

But right now my biggest issue is not which name comes out of it but how it comes out of it; specifically, ... 

The process for voting was announced before the round of five. To change it after that is at best arbitrary and capricious, and at worst manipulative and conspiratorial. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that the process, and the sudden change in the process is pretty ridiculous. But unless you actually have any control to change the process back to a runoff between the two names, then the "how" is very irrelevant at this point.

• Upvote 1

As a big Roughrider nickname supporter, I don't see a lot of tact from the Roughrider side in this thread (among others). Just wanted you all to know that that it isn't lost on all RR supporters. 

absolutely, I realize that Eric.   I didn't mean all Roughriders supporters in my post/posts.

• Upvote 1

Sundogs, Siouxman?   Good thing you DID get brownie points for driving to Maine.  :D

IF, Red River did not already have the name, then I would be fine with it.  But there are simply too many issues with having a college and a high school in the same town with the same nickname.  This is especially true if the high school had the name first, as in this situation.

The term Nodak I am very familiar with because it is/was a common term in the US Air Force for someone from North Dakota, especially being stationed at Minot AFB.  I am assuming Grand Forks AFB is the same way.  My preference in all of this is:

1.  Nokota - which for some unknown reason was eliminated early.  This is a horse, not the tribe Nakota.

2.  North Dakota - again, eliminated unnecessarily

3.  Nodak

4.  Fighting Hawks - This has issues due to all the other forms of hawks out there

5.  Roughriders - Name already used by a local high school (see comments above)

6.  Sundogs - Nice and a pretty aspect of Mother Nature, but not a nickname

7.  North Stars - Please no, This is a Minnesota term.

I am glad to see that you acknowledge my brownie points for attending the Icebreaker in Portland.

The superiority complex of some people on this site regarding a nickname is astounding.  I think we'd all agree this is a less than ideal scenario but continually harping that your choice is somehow factually better than another is just ridiculous.  As Stoneysioux has stated, you're not changing anyone's mind by putting people down and dividing our fanbase. 

Also... do we really care what other fanbases say about our nickname? That's what we're going for? Something that Gopher, Pioneers, and Maverick fans will pat us on the back for and say "hey great nickname, I wish that was ours".  This isn't going to happen.  We had the best logo and nickname in the country (my opinion) and that still happened. 

So Brad Berry and the Men's Hockey team can openly campaign for Nodaks, but supporters of Roughriders can't do the same? What world are you living in?

And since you brought it up, the Nodaks crowd hasn't exactly been polite about their support for their choice either.

Bottom line: I want this done right and I want this done as soon as possible. This is dividing our fan base and that is not good. I will support our teams no matter what happens and I would like to get back to arguing with Bison and Gopher fans instead of each other.

So Brad Berry and the Men's Hockey team can openly campaign for Nodaks, but supporters of Roughriders can't do the same? What world are you living in?

And since you brought it up, the Nodaks crowd hasn't exactly been polite about their support for their choice either.

Bottom line: I want this done right and I want this done as soon as possible. This is dividing our fan base and that is not good. I will support our teams no matter what happens and I would like to get back to arguing with Bison and Gopher fans instead of each other.

Berry and the team got hammered for it as well... were you one of those doing the hammering?

Berry and the team got hammered for it as well... were you one of those doing the hammering?

No, they can campaign for whatever they want. But I did think it was a little disturbing at how many people jumped on the Nodaks bandwagon after Berry and the team said what they said. It smacked of a herd mentality. I really hope everyone who can vote does so after doing their homework and reaching their own conclusion, not because someone else says so.

No, they can campaign for whatever they want. But I did think it was a little disturbing at how many people jumped on the Nodaks bandwagon after Berry and the team said what they said. It smacked of a herd mentality. I really hope everyone who can vote does so after doing their homework and reaching their own conclusion, not because someone else says so.

How many people really jumped though? Couple hundred at most, maybe. The results sure didn't reflect a herd mentality.

This whole thing is such a gong-show.   Over it.  Call them whatever the hell you want.

(Not aimed at you yzer ... but) ....

And there it it. 

Long ago, when it was clear the old name had been lost, I said (ad infinitum, ad nauseum) that those of us who do care need to "control what is ours to control". 

The sentiment in yzer's post is exactly what I feared.

The powers that be (see: Kelley) beat us into process-committee-process submission so they could feed us pablum (see: inoffensive "adjective birds" or not-a-word, no real meaning, postal abbreviations) and prove their "superiority" by not even following their own processes. 

And that's why I say Roughriders. It's not academic-approved pablum. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 4

What is the point of asking what world I live in? Serious question. It adds nothing to the conversation. 

The hockey team and Berry stated their opinion which is fine. They did not say Nodaks is obviously better because of facts and that gopher fans will make fun of it so anyone that thinks otherwise is flat out wrong.

Also, I did not say Nodak supporters were free of reproach. I just think it's ridiculous to pretend like one side is factually better than the other and continue to attack people that don't believe in your line of thinking. 

The problem is I couldn't care less what other schools think of our name. If we care wwhat they think why not let them vote on our name. 

I care deeply what other schools think of our name, and our state. A big reason why I feel so strongly about this. UND is ND flagship institution, it projects an image to the county and the world (yes it has international reach). I certainly want the best image and logo projected to attract students, athletes, teachers, etc. and help UND and ND become even better. 

What is the point of asking what world I live in? Serious question. It adds nothing to the conversation. 

The hockey team and Berry stated their opinion which is fine. They did not say Nodaks is obviously better because of facts and that gopher fans will make fun of it so anyone that thinks otherwise is flat out wrong.

Also, I did not say Nodak supporters were free of reproach. I just think it's ridiculous to pretend like one side is factually better than the other and continue to attack people that don't believe in your line of thinking. 

Well, I have tried to be professional about all this, but this is an emotional and passionate topic, so I guess we all need to think twice before we post something. I know I have been doing that a lot lately.

• Upvote 2

I care deeply what other schools think of our name, and our state. A big reason why I feel so strongly about this. UND is ND flagship institution, it projects an image to the county and the world (yes it has international reach). I certainly want the best image and logo projected to attract students, athletes, teachers, etc. and help UND and ND become even better. 

If other people think less of our school because our sports teams are called nodaks or Roughrider or Hawks, that is there prerogative. I don't think less of Missouri cause their school has a lame Tigers name or less of Delaware cause they have a weird blue hen name. Anyone who does is small minded and really shouldn't effect our choice. 

• Upvote 1

How many people really jumped though? Couple hundred at most, maybe. The results sure didn't reflect a herd mentality.

Nodaks jumped from getting 14% in the poll of readers of this forum in July to 44% in the exit poll last week. It's clearly a named that gained momentum after lukewarm initial impressions.

Nodaks jumped from getting 14% in the poll of readers of this forum in July to 44% in the exit poll last week. It's clearly a named that gained momentum after lukewarm initial impressions.

How many actual people was that between the two polls. My guess was 200 people at most changed their mind. Was it more than that?

Does anyone know who made/or paid for that sign that read 'Nodak Nation' that was draped over the student section at Saturday's Bemidji St. game?

Guessing it was the UND Student Booster Club, aka "Nodak Nation"

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=859323 

https://twitter.com/NoDak_Nation?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor