SiouxSports.com Forum

We can make this Roughriders vrs. Fighting Hawks

NDinCO

So according to some, we can't vote RR because of Ron His Horse is Thunder,  and Hawks because of Kelley, so Nodaks is the only ... wait, I heard Don Lucia loves that so he can show his disdain for North Dakotans, for that matter most of their fan base.  How about voting on merits of each name.

That is what I have been saying for months.

• Upvote 1

So according to some, we can't vote RR because of Ron His Horse is Thunder,  and Hawks because of Kelley, so Nodaks is the only ... wait, I heard Don Lucia loves that so he can show his disdain for North Dakotans, for that matter most of their fan base.  How about voting on merits of each name.

It sure is confusing, isn't it?   At one time I recall hearing Sundogs could not be voted for because  B.R.I.D.G.E.S. supported it.   But, now it sounds like it's ok to vote for Roughriders even though Ron His Horse is Thunder is a fan of the name.  I guess I'll take the really weird, unconventional approach and continue to vote for the name I like best.   

• Upvote 1

It sure is confusing, isn't it?   At one time I recall hearing Sundogs could not be voted for because  B.R.I.D.G.E.S. supported it.   But, now it sounds like it's ok to vote for Roughriders even though Ron His Horse is Thunder is a fan of the name.  I guess I'll take the really weird, unconventional approach and continue to vote for the name I like best.   

A revolutionary concept... I may just follow your lead.

“We will bring North Dakota into the 21st century, kicking and screaming, but we will do it,“David Gipp said, winning applause from the audience of about 50 people. 

Ron His Horse Is Thunder suggested a replacement nickname that would focus on a North Dakota hero, Teddy Roosevelt. 

“I would ask the UND alumni, the state board of Higher Education, . . . to take a look at changing the logo and choose an image that all of North Dakota could be proud of,” he said “We have the perfect logo: North Dakota Rough Riders. . . . Who could object to that? It is talking about bravery; it is talking about courage. I think everyone could agree on that.

Well,there's that.

Soooo...for those thinking Rough Riders is a great name choice...

If you are in favor of "Fighting Hawks," you are caving in to PC folks and pro name-changers everywhere.

But having David Gipp and Ron His Real Last Name Is Not His Horse Is Thunder amongst your list of supporters for "Rough Riders," is not?

Edited by MafiaMan
Edited so as to not imply that "runaroundsioux" is a supporter of Rough Riders.

Soooo...

If you are in favor of "Fighting Hawks," you are caving in to PC folks and pro name-changers everywhere.

But if you're quoting David Gipp and Ron His Real Last Name Is Not His Horse Is Thunder and using that as your rationale for voting for "Rough Riders," you're not?

haha excellent point.  

Soooo...

But if you're quoting David Gipp and Ron His Real Last Name Is Not His Horse Is Thunder and using that as your rationale for voting for "Rough Riders," you're not?

Don't understand your question. I was answering why I dislike Roughriders. Haven't said what name I like. This whole thing is ridiculous. It's like the script for SouthParks Giant Douche-Turd Sandwich episode. People arguing and developing passion for bad choices. Maybe we should just be The Cows?:D

Edited by runaroundsioux

Don't understand your question. I was answering why I dislike Roughriders. Haven't said what name I like. This whole thing is ridiculous. It's like the script for SouthParks Giant Douche-Turd Sandwich episode. People arguing and developing passion for bad choices. 

I apologize - totally missed the context of your reply to someone else as to why you are opposed to Rough Riders. I am 100% in agreement with you - as soon as I knew RHHIT was in favor of Rough Riders, I was against it.

Just for the record, Roughriders barely beats out Sundogs for me.

Sundogs, Siouxman?   Good thing you DID get brownie points for driving to Maine.  :D

While I have a hard time not disliking Ron His Horse Knows More after his slanderous and false comments about UND being a racist and hateful place, even a broken clock is right twice a day. And one of those times was when he suggested Roughriders as a replacement for Fighting Sioux.

A good idea is a good idea, even if the originator of that idea is someone you don't like otherwise.

Well said.

Might as well be the COWS..that stupid TEDDY ROOSEVELT logo that some of you have latched onto looks like Yosemite Sam after a Bad St. Patricks Day excursion at the old Final Five in St. Paul!  And WHY THE HELL would he have crossed HOCKEY STICKS on his hat?   Thanks for excluding every other sport at UND for your single interest - unless the rings were supposed to represent GYMNASTICS (oh yeah - not a und sport)

NEXT!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you're ever in section 314 at a Sioux hockey game drop me a message and I will buy ice cold Molson's and we can laugh at how awesome your reply is! :)

I appreciate it, BSV. I'm just all done with the nonsense. We're all gonna pick what we want and SIOUXFAN97 will do nothing to change it.

• Upvote 3

And you don't think Nodaks sucks?  I mean seriously.....Nodaks?  Man we think people are making fun of us for not having a nickname..........but if we are the University of North Dakota Nodaks........I won't be able to blame them one bit for making fun of that name.   I guess the people who wanted it to just stay North Dakota feel so strongly about it....that they are deciding to vote for a ridiculous nickname because it is close to North Dakota.  Great logic.  :) 

Maybe since the University is in Grand Forks we could adopt a shortened version of the city name...the UND GranFors!  :(

And you don't think Nodaks sucks?  I mean seriously.....Nodaks?  Man we think people are making fun of us for not having a nickname..........but if we are the University of North Dakota Nodaks........I won't be able to blame them one bit for making fun of that name.   I guess the people who wanted it to just stay North Dakota feel so strongly about it....that they are deciding to vote for a ridiculous nickname because it is close to North Dakota.  Great logic.  :) 

Honestly... Trying to explain it to others from other states and other schools about the nickname game is ridiculous. "Seriously.. Nodaks?!"... I can't help but agree with them.... Roughriders or Hawks. Just get it over with. 

• Upvote 1

read the fine print, chief.  I said the "condensed version."   I've given my reasons on here several times before.

I do find the pompous attitude of roughrider supporters quite interesting to put it mildly.  There were 5 choices.  One out of 5 people voted for roughriders.   (which, for the mathematically challenged, also means 80% didn't like roughriders enough to vote for it.)

yet, there's an expectation here that everyone should just rally around roughriders because, you know, YOU like the name.    Lol thanks for the "great" idea!   After months of ridicule for our preferred choices, we'll be happy to join you now!  said no one ever.  

Go Nodaks!  Or if not, Go  Fighting Hawks!

• Upvote 1

The problem is that everyone of these names sucks when they stand on their own other than North Stars which isn't really a viable option. The only time any of the names suck less is when they are in a group with the other finalists and at that point everyone has an opinion or reasons as to why their selection sucks less.......now I know what it must feel like to vote for the NDSU homecoming queen.:p

• Upvote 3

I know how I voted. (Anyone can do a quick search and figure it out here.)

But right now my biggest issue is not which name comes out of it but how it comes out of it; specifically, ... 

The process for voting was announced before the round of five. To change it after that is at best arbitrary and capricious, and at worst manipulative and conspiratorial. 

• Upvote 3

Honestly... Trying to explain it to others from other states and other schools about the nickname game is ridiculous. "Seriously.. Nodaks?!"... I can't help but agree with them.... Roughriders or Hawks. Just get it over with. 

The problem is I couldn't care less what other schools think of our name. If we care wwhat they think why not let them vote on our name. 

• Upvote 1