SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks .vs Roughriders

Sioux94

Fighting Hawks vs. Roughriders Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If they kept it to only the top two.....and Nodaks was out, which would you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • Roughriders

Here is the list of nickname trait requirements:

• Representative of state/region 
  • Honor past/look to future 
  • Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion 
  • Sense of community/connectedness 
  • Intimidation to competitors
  • Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND
  • Formidable/fierce 
  • Inspiring, unforgettable 
  • Beautiful/classy 

When the initial cut was made to 63 and forwarded on to the committee, every one of those 63 names should have been rated based on the criteria listed above. The committee failed to hold to the very standards they came up with.  Had they actually followed their own criteria, the names that were eventually narrowed down to vote on would be most likely met with more of a positive response.  

It's just one in a long line of red flags.

That was the problem.  You a a room full of people that voted names up or down based on personal preference rather than actual laid out criteria.  This is where the process failed.  And failed miserably!!   

What I can't understand is how people like Dave St. Peter and others let the consultant take over to the point where that was allowed to happen.  

• Upvote 2

However wasn't the reason No Nickname came in dead last was because a few on the committee gave it an inflated -7 (or whatever the lowest possible number was) just to make sure it got the kiss of death. Even if some had it voted in the middle by the majority a -7 by one or two would totally skew where it actually fell in popularity.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Goehring, St. Peter and one other person had 'no nickname' as their first option but were outvoted by others.

The committee actually did this with a -1, 0, +1 ranking system taking each quality/characteristic into consideration for each of the final 7 names individually.  There even had a fancy score sheet that laid everything out! Roughriders came in 1st. Fighting Hawks came in 5th (one point behind Nodaks).  "No nickname" came in dead last by a very large margin.

If you look at the score sheet there were two on the committee that gave "North Dakota/No Nickname" a -5 and a -8, no other name received anything lower than a -2. It was obvious these two on the committee intended to skew the average and make sure that North Dakota/No Nickname did not make the cut - those super lower scores ensured it. 

• Upvote 1

If you look at the score sheet there were two on the committee that gave "North Dakota/No Nickname" a -5 and a -8, no other name received anything lower than a -2. It was obvious these two on the committee intended to skew the average and make sure that North Dakota/No Nickname did not make the cut - those super lower scores ensured it.  

I guess for me, it isn't hard to see how "no nickname" did not score well on an exercise designed to evaluate nicknames.  Even if those two score you mentioned would be have 0, it would have still been the lowest ranked and out of the top 5 by a decent amount.  Someone also gave Roughriders a -2 when no other score was below 2.  You can point at outliers like that for every nickname. I mean someone gave "no nickname" a +8, meaning they literally felt that having nothing to describe the athletic teams (outside of the University's name, which is used regardless) demonstrates 8 out of the 9 characteristics positively. Even the most homer "no nickname" fans on this board couldn't find 8 of the 9 that fit that way.

• Upvote 1

i think the problem is there weren't any choices that met all those criteria.  Plus, a lot of those points  the committee came up with are purely opinions or silly.  That's why I voted Nodaks in the hopes something representative of UND and ND could've evolved. 

Let's try the same exercise for Roughriders:

• Representative of state/region (Nope, Roughriders are either horseback riders from anywhere on earth, or else Teddy's southwestern US cavalry)
  • Honor past/look to future (Nope, Roughriders were not from here.  Unless we want to honor an award started in the 1960s.  But why would we honor an honor?  makes no sense)
  • Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion (agreed, this is a personal opinion)
  • Sense of community/connectedness (agreed, Definitely isn't going to bring us all together)
  • Intimidation to competitors (this point is just silly.  no college athlete has ever been intimidated by a logo or name)
  • Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND (There's some nice RR merchandise on sale at Red River High School.  and plenty of cowboys on horseback in the ncaa)
  • Formidable/fierce (agreed, once again, personal opinion)
  • Inspiring, unforgettable (personal opinion, and another silly criteria)
  • Beautiful/classy (Old guys on ponies are not beautiful, but could possibly be classy?)

We could have been the Angie Dickenson's

I have seriously not met one person who is a Fighting Hawks supporter... I see there are a couple of them on here but I have yet to actually meet one in person. I don't understand where all these votes are coming from? I have talked with a lot of students on campus as well. The funny thing is that the requirements for a name to make the final vote are nowhere to be found in the name "Fighting Hawks." 

• Representative of state/region (Ok, our state has Hawks, so does every other state)
  • Honor past/look to future (Just because it has "Fighting" in it doesn't mean it honors our past. You can add "Fighting" to anything.)
  • Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion (this is a personal opinion)
  • Sense of community/connectedness (Definitely isn't going to bring us all together)
  • Intimidation to competitors (Well then we should be intimidated by many teams given the popular use of any Hawk name)
  • Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND (Not even close)
  • Formidable/fierce (once again, personal opinion)
  • Inspiring, unforgettable (Not even close)
  • Beautiful/classy (Hawks are beautiful animals, I will agree with that)

If you can make the case that Fighting Hawks represents these traits with GOOD reasoning then I'm all ears...

Plus Dickinson State already has Hawks.  Blue Hawks. So we have two choices that a high school in GF uses and another where another college within the borders of ND already uses.  Wow.

• Upvote 1

Plus Dickinson State already has Hawks.  Blue Hawks. So we have two choices that a high school in GF uses and another where another college within the borders of ND already uses.  Wow.

Don't forget the American Association's Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks. 

Well, the most common hawks in ND are Cooper's and red tailed ... 

In the United States, chickenhawk or chicken hawk is an unofficial designation for three species of North American hawks: the Cooper's hawk which is also called a quail hawk, the sharp-shinned hawk and the red-tailed hawk. 

I have seriously not met one person who is a Fighting Hawks supporter... I see there are a couple of them on here but I have yet to actually meet one in person. I don't understand where all these votes are coming from? I have talked with a lot of students on campus as well. The funny thing is that the requirements for a name to make the final vote are nowhere to be found in the name "Fighting Hawks." 

• Representative of state/region (Ok, our state has Hawks, so does every other state)
  • Honor past/look to future (Just because it has "Fighting" in it doesn't mean it honors our past. You can add "Fighting" to anything.)
  • Promote pride, strength, fierceness, passion (this is a personal opinion)
  • Sense of community/connectedness (Definitely isn't going to bring us all together)
  • Intimidation to competitors (Well then we should be intimidated by many teams given the popular use of any Hawk name)
  • Unique, recognizable, distinctly UND (Not even close)
  • Formidable/fierce (once again, personal opinion)
  • Inspiring, unforgettable (Not even close)
  • Beautiful/classy (Hawks are beautiful animals, I will agree with that)

If you can make the case that Fighting Hawks represents these traits with GOOD reasoning then I'm all ears...

North Stars, Fighting Hawks:  check, move forward

Nokota, Arrows:  no good....

Pretty embarrassing.