SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

I just took this photo outside my office.   Go Yavapai College Roughriders!   Roughriders are pretty big here....

In case you're interested, here's some historical background:  http://www.sharlot.org/library-archives/days-past/rough-rider-sculpture-on-courthouse-plaza/

rr1.jpg

thanks for sharing the link!   there's a lot of Roughrider pride in Arizona and New Mexico.  

Fighting Hawks huh.....ULM War Hawks....Southeast Mo Red Hawks.....Miami Univ Red Hawks.  Sorry...not good.  NoDaks....reminds me of the California school that uses Banana Slugs...just weird.  Rough Riders...nice name.  Fits your state.  None of my business but I assure you the rest of us are watching...you can go safe safe safe...or very weird or something you can really have fun with.  Good luck.

• Upvote 3

Fighting Hawks huh.....ULM War Hawks....Southeast Mo Red Hawks.....Miami Univ Red Hawks.  Sorry...not good.  NoDaks....reminds me of the California school that uses Banana Slugs...just weird.  Rough Riders...nice name.  Fits your state.  None of my business but I assure you the rest of us are watching...you can go safe safe safe...or very weird or something you can really have fun with.  Good luck.

Sorry, it may be the Friday night in me talking, but what?!?! What were you trying to say?

• Upvote 1

Seattle Redhawks, ST Joseph Hawks, Monmouth Hawks, Lehigh Mountain Hawks, Dickinson Blue Hawks, UMASS Lowell Riverhawks, UNC Wilmington Seahawks, Wagner Seahawks, Tenn-Martin Skyhawks, Indiana (Pa) Crimson Hawks, just to name e a few more.

You would think this is a new name for a high school or middle school, not the flagship institution for the state.

And there will be a lot in North Dakota.

Why isnt there a big push by North Dakota's to drop that nickname, if it's so bad/sad, as you say?

at least here in the eastern part of the state, I hear north Dakota referred to as the roughrider state maybe once a year.   I never heard any references to roughriders in my four years at UND.   it's an unofficial nickname, and just isn't used enough to bother making any push one way or the other IMO.

Fighting  (tama)"HAWKS"- have a screaming tomahawk as a mascot-----keeps it Sioux.  Beats the hell out of a bird.

What......??? Sioux is gone forever. Sorry to break the news, but say goodbye! You also seem to be inserting "tama" in front of hawks which won't happen. So again.....what the hell are you talking about.

• Upvote 1

at least here in the eastern part of the state, I hear north Dakota referred to as the roughrider state maybe once a year.   I never heard any references to roughriders in my four years at UND.   it's an unofficial nickname, and just isn't used enough to bother making any push one way or the other IMO.

More than you hear about Minnesota being the Gopher state ... or Wisconsin being the Badger state ... or Iowa being the Hawkeye state ... or Ohio being the Buckeye state.  If those names had not been adopted as nickname of their flagship schools, no one would know those state names.  Without looking, what is Montana or Idaho's state nickname?  Because they are not amenable for sports teams, they are not widely publicized.

• Upvote 2

In order to idolize TR too much must be actively ignored.

Hey, find anyone of stature without skeletons.

Even Dr. MLK Jr. was found to have plagarised parts of his PhD dissertation. Do we dump that day in January? 

Abraham Lincoln while campaigning in 1858:

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races."

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to educate visitors to the University about North Dakota. Even if Roughriders never set foot in ND etc, at least there's an educational opportunity and a built in history about Teddy Roosevelt/Roughriders.

Can't be said about FH, or Nodaks.

So, you're not voting for Roughriders then? 

More than you hear about Minnesota being the Gopher state ... or Wisconsin being the Badger state ... or Iowa being the Hawkeye state ... or Ohio being the Buckeye state.  If those names had not been adopted as nickname of their flagship schools, no one would know those state names.  Without looking, what is Montana or Idaho's state nickname?  Because they are not amenable for sports teams, they are not widely publicized.

I was answering your question regarding a statewide push to get rid of an unofficial state nickname.

i agree those states nicknames are well known due in part to their universities.  We tried that here.  Twice.   I don't view it as an obligation to have to try it again.

Edited by Siouxphan27

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to educate visitors to the University about North Dakota. Even if Roughriders never set foot in ND etc, at least there's an educational opportunity and a built in history about Teddy Roosevelt/Roughriders.

if we're going to use UND to educate people about our area, I'd rather be Nodaks, and educate people about actual North Dakota history.

however, I would rather our university concentrate on bragging/educating visitors on all the excellent opportunities UND offers.

You could play in the NBA with that reach 

• Upvote 2

People realize it's roughriders and not "Teddy's riders" or "the Roosevelts".  If people are so worried about the racism of teddy then why are they not campaigning to rename the Ralph? Anyway, I'm fine with either Nodaks or Roughriders. Just as long as we're not Hawks number 43.

• Upvote 1

Given TR's racism and now seeing those trophy hunting pictures, Roughriders is now my third choice. I will vote for Fighting Hawks rather than Roughriders if it comes to that choice. TRophy hunting is disgusting.

Go Nodaks.

• Downvote 4

Given TR's racism and now seeing those trophy hunting pictures, Roughriders is now my third choice. I will vote for Fighting Hawks rather than Roughriders if it comes to that choice. TRophy hunting is disgusting.

Go Nodaks.

I bet there are tons of racist and trophy hunting Nodaks. 

• Upvote 3

Plenty of liberals like me too, the point being the name Nodaks does not define someone as being racist or as someone that has a callous disregard for life.

Me.  I'm a Bernie Sander's supporting liberal.  I want universal health care and an 80% tax on the top 1% in our country. 

And I want Roughriders for a nickname. 

Teddy was a progressive in many way, race wasn't one of them.  Neither were our founding fathers or Abraham Lincoln.  I'm not saying this was right, but that was long ago. 

Nodaks is a derogatory word used by people belittling North Dakotans.  Plus, it just sounds stupid.  Fighting Hawks is too frickin' generic.  Roughriders is unique and has prior standing in our state.   

Roll Riders!

• Upvote 4