SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

dont vote for what you like...vote for what's best for und and you will be fine...but vote!

I don't think any of those choices are what is best for UND.  I think just being North Dakota would be better than forcing an undesired nickname.  As a result, UND will lose a lot of alumni donations and that doesn't help UND either.  So who is really being helped here?

• Upvote 2

I also enjoyed the contradiction that Hawks is too popular yet at the same time state mottos are a good idea because they are so popular.

Not every state is called "the hawk state". Going with the state nickname shows the unique character of the state. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

we would be the only university named after an award named for a cavalry that had nothing to do with our state; maybe that's the "unique" angle being emphasized here.  

:-)

Other than the fact that they would have never been named Rough Riders if not for North Dakota's influence. In fact there might not have been a volunteer unit period, and certainly not one involving TR. 

I hate the term experts as much as the next guy, but he did foretell us most likely moving toward that type of nickname.

Yup I remember reading a couple articles in the Herald about it, (and have previously been posted here)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3705294-qa-sociologist-suggests-flickertails-und

I can't find the other one, maybe someone else knows where to find it.

Edited by Cratter

Other than the fact that they would have never been named Rough Riders if not for North Dakota's influence. In fact there might not have been a volunteer unit period, and certainly not one involving TR. 

Dude was a badass and he said he became a badass because of his time in North Dakota.  Even though Roughriders wouldn't have to have a Teddy symbol, who wouldn't want to be associated with him?

Get's shot in the chest before a 90 minute speech in Milwaukee, shrugs it off and gives the speech anyway:

http://www.history.com/news/shot-in-the-chest-100-years-ago-teddy-roosevelt-kept-on-talking

• Upvote 2