SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Vs FCS Football

Cratter

You guys are all over looking men's basketball. They have the greatest potential to bring notariety to UND especially if they win a game in the big dance. BF should put more into that programs if he wants to grow the athletic department and possibly afford FBS Football.

We need to have basketball be strong along with football volleyball and hockey at a minimum. I'd love to get back to having an overall strong athletic department instead of a one sided one.

• Upvote 1

You guys are all over looking men's basketball. They have the greatest potential to bring notariety to UND especially if they win a game in the big dance. BF should put more into that programs if he wants to grow the athletic department and possibly afford FBS Football.

Agreed.  Have you seen the fire Jones thread?

• Upvote 1

I have a problem with FCS, which is just a way for small schools to win a title and still call it D1 with an asterick.

Well that is one ironic statement, considering that 37% of the schools playing "Division I" hockey are either DII or DIII in all of their other sports. 

An FCS title is far superior to a college hockey title, no question about it.  Even UND's DII football title dwarfs all seven of our hockey titles as far as prestige.

I love North Dakota hockey, but lets be realistic.  When something called Lake Superior State can have as many national titles as Michigan St., you know it can't be all that tough to win it all.

• Upvote 1

Well that is one ironic statement, considering that 37% of the schools playing "Division I" hockey are either DII or DIII in all of their other sports. 

An FCS title is far superior to a college hockey title, no question about it.  Even UND's DII football title dwarfs all seven of our hockey titles as far as prestige.

I love North Dakota hockey, but lets be realistic.  When something called Lake Superior State can have as many national titles as Michigan St., you know it can't be all that tough to win it all.

To Lake Superior States credit, they had several NHLers play throughout their title runs.  Some names you may have heard of: Jim Dowd, Brian Rolston, Doug Weight - not exactly DII talent.  

Should Gonzaga be bad at basketball because they don't have a huge athletic department?  Not sure I understand how it "can't be all that tough to win it all" when many of the small schools have elite hockey programs and are churning out NHL level talent.  UMD, for instance, is DII, but paying fcoa.    

Edited by nodak651

To Lake Superior States credit, they had several NHLers play throughout their title runs.  Some names you may have heard of: Jim Dowd, Brian Rolston, Doug Weight - not exactly DII talent.

Honestly, I haven't heard of any of those guys.  Like most Americans, I don't really follow the NHL.  I have to admit that unless they played at UND or their last name is something like Orr, Gretzky, Lemeiux, or Crosby I'm a little bit in the dark.

• Upvote 1

Sweet. So have a bunch of other guys nobody has ever heard of.

Good story.  What's your point?  He implied that Lake Superior wasn't a good hockey team.  That was an inaccurate statement, and I provided facts that supported my argument.  

You could literally say that about any team ever, in any sport.

Edited by nodak651
  • Upvote 1

Good story.  What's your point?  He implied that Lake Superior wasn't a good hockey team.  That was an inaccurate statement, and I provided facts that supported my argument.  

I never said  Lake St. wasn't good at hockey.  I was countering the implication that the FCS is a haven for schools with modest resources to have the opportunity to win a national championship.  I would say college hockey provides a much easier path to win an NCAA title.  Having less than 60 participants and the number of titles won by schools that don't play any other DI sports seems to back that up from my perspective.

Edited by bincitysioux
  • Upvote 1

Best comment yet...

Unless you are from the city of an FCS/College Hockey team or an alumnus of that institution, nobody outside the sphere of that influence knows anything about the division or sport...or cares.  The exception is North Dakota and a few other sparsely populated states where college hockey and/or FCS football is the biggest thing in the state.  In these states fans have arguments of which is better (kinda like this topic).  The rest of the country really doesn't care.  I live in Texas, and unless I am speaking with a transplant from North Dakota or an alumnus from SHSU, there is not a person in this state who could tell you who Tony Hrkac is or whether Fargo is in South Dakota or North Dakota (or "in the Dakotas").  As Shawn-O has said, neither is relevant.

Now as to who would win, think back to Nintendo Ice Hockey.  You (NDSU football) put two fat guys our there with two skinny guys and your buddy (Sioux, um, Hawks Hockey) puts four medium-sized guys out there.  Now, imagine the skinny guys can't skate cause let's just assume these are your speed position guys from another state; and there you have it.  Sioux 4-0 in a best-of-seven...

This might be the dumbest thread I have ever read.

Is football more popular in the US?  Yes

Is Hockey more popular worldwide?Probably

Is soccer more popular worldwide than hockey?

Of course

Like I said, this thread is stupid!

Is hockey more popular in Grand Forks? Absolutely. With that said dumbazz thread.

Why am I just finding out about this thread now?  Assuming this sport of fockey requires any athleticism at all I'd have to take the football players whether they be from NDSU, UND, Fargo Davies, etc.  Hockey is the sport for 5'9"  160lb wannabe tough guys who aren't athletic or tough enough to play real sports like football or basketball.

This is a really dumb thing to say. I played both sports and each have their unique challenges.

Both are irrelevant in the big picture.

But in grand forks there are about 265,000 tickets sold yearly and maybe 40,000 football tickets in the same season so it's easy to see what is more popular in grand forks.

Compare this to 150,000 tickets sold annually to ndsu football in Fargo(metro area 4 times bigger than grand forks) and I think it's safe to say what is more popular in the region. Or could the bison sell 30,000 seats per game if they had the facility?

Why am I just finding out about this thread now?  Assuming this sport of fockey requires any athleticism at all I'd have to take the football players whether they be from NDSU, UND, Fargo Davies, etc.  Hockey is the sport for 5'9"  160lb wannabe tough guys who aren't athletic or tough enough to play real sports like football or basketball.

The most asinine post I have ever read.

Both are irrelevant in the big picture.

But in grand forks there are about 265,000 tickets sold yearly and maybe 40,000 football tickets in the same season so it's easy to see what is more popular in grand forks.

Compare this to 150,000 tickets sold annually to ndsu football in Fargo(metro area 4 times bigger than grand forks) and I think it's safe to say what is more popular in the region. Or could the bison sell 30,000 seats per game if they had the facility?

Hockey and football have the same number of home games don't they?