SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Vs FCS Football

Cratter

The reference was Craig Dahl, not Craig Bohl.

oops. Makes more sense now. deleted it for being wrong, and obnoxiously large pictures.

I think this is where I got the "Bohl" part.

Dah.  Bohl dumped his wife that was pregnant with twins for her hotness, and the Huskers ran them both out of town.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Cratter

oops. Makes more sense now. deleted it for being wrong, and obnoxiously large pictures.

I think this is where I got the "Bohl" part.

hqdefault.jpg

That's not his wife. I'm not close with Craig anymore so I may be wrong, but I believe that is an old girlfriend of his in the posted picture above.

• 1 month later...

Well, seeing how some of the members here don't think that an FCS championship is a very big deal, I just made the obvious comment.

I would be ecstatic if UND was able to win the FCS championship in football......what I wouldn't do is try and equate it to an FBS football title or a D1 hockey title. At the end of the day, UND and NDSU are playing for 129th place in football and I am perfectly fine with that. Living in Fargo it seems that many of the fans in town fail to understand the distinction.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why am I just finding out about this thread now?  Assuming this sport of fockey requires any athleticism at all I'd have to take the football players whether they be from NDSU, UND, Fargo Davies, etc.  Hockey is the sport for 5'9"  160lb wannabe tough guys who aren't athletic or tough enough to play real sports like football or basketball.

• Downvote 9

Winning an FCS national championship almost guarantees a couple nationally televised games on either ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU, which in itself is a really big deal. Not to mention, everyone knows the top FCS team is better than a handful of lower tier FBS teams.

It's a big deal to win an FCS title, and it would be a huge deal for UND and the community of Grand Forks. It also propagates continued success down the road. 

this. When's the last time a UND game of any sport was on ESPN? That would be huge. They stick hockey on ESPNU.

• Upvote 2

Why am I just finding out about this thread now?  Assuming this sport of fockey requires any athleticism at all I'd have to take the football players whether they be from NDSU, UND, Fargo Davies, etc.  Hockey is the sport for 5'9"  160lb wannabe tough guys who aren't athletic or tough enough to play real sports like football or basketball.

"Wannabe tough guys" :huh:..............that's a good one! 

I would be ecstatic if UND was able to win the FCS championship in football......what I wouldn't do is try and equate it to an FBS football title or a D1 hockey title. At the end of the day, UND and NDSU are playing for 129th place in football and I am perfectly fine with that. Living in Fargo it seems that many of the fans in town fail to understand the distinction.

This is the type of idiotic statements by Sioux Fans that are not necessary.   I would take a football championship ANY DAY over a hockey championship..sorry..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

This is the type of idiotic statements by Sioux Fans that are not necessary.   I would take a football championship ANY DAY over a hockey championship..sorry..

That's your opinion, and it is probably in the distinct minority outside of NDSU. I would take a D1 hockey title over an FCS football title any day. It is a much bigger deal and the athletes are certainly at the top of the sport. There has never been a Bison football player who was an NFL superstar and probably never will. On the other hand, the NHL is littered with college stars (roughly 1/3 of all NHL players, 1/3 Europeans and 1/3 Canadians from Major Juniors) that we see regularly at the REA, including many former UND players who are more famous than any former Bison football player--Jonathan Toews, Zach Parise, Matt Greene, Travis Zajac, TJ Oshie, Troy Murray, Jon Casey, Drew Stafford, etc. etc. Please don't try and compare a JV title to a D1 hockey title.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

That's your opinion, and it is probably in the distinct minority outside of NDSU. I would take a D1 hockey title over an FCS football title any day. It is a much bigger deal and the athletes are certainly at the top of the sport. There has never been a Bison football player who was an NFL superstar and probably never will. On the other hand, the NHL is littered with college stars (roughly 1/3 of all NHL players, 1/3 Europeans and 1/3 Canadians from Major Juniors) that we see regularly at the REA, including many former UND players who are more famous than any former Bison football player--Jonathan Toews, Zach Parise, Matt Greene, Travis Zajac, TJ Oshie, Troy Murray, Jon Casey, Drew Stafford, etc. etc. Please don't try and compare a JV title to a D1 hockey title.

I don't understand this argument and I never have. The discussion is about which brings more exposure and is considered more prestigious. Not which pipeline sends more "stars" to their respective professional league.

I think it could be argued, quite well, that the exposure a school gets from playing in the FCS playoffs is higher than what that same school garners from a run to the national title in NCAA hockey.

We could go round and round all day, but if we look at the TV ratings and exposure, I think you'll find that the two are pretty well even, with FCS football coming out slightly ahead.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/01/unc-louisville-ratings-espn-basketball-epl-nbcsn-most-watched-fcs-college-football-championship-espn/

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/4/15/8384553/2015-frozen-four-tv-ratings-providence-boston-university-jack-eichel

Edited by Bison06
  • Upvote 3

College hockey is second in production of pros. FCS is second in production of pros. Sounds pretty similar to me.