Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

Tell that to the women's volleyball team who just swept NDSU in front of 2500 fans. 

Pretty sure it's about winning and you're not going to have much coverage if the product

on the field/court isn't worth watching...

One VB victory does not prove my point wrong. Anyone who thinks NDSU hasn't owned us over the past 10 years in terms of winning, media coverage, marketing and whatever else is important to intercollegiate athletics is living in fantasy land.

• Upvote 1

What I am sick of is the attitude of some (and I emphasis the word some here) Men's Hockey rubes that as long as Men's Hockey is happy, nothing else matters and if everything else goes down the sewer, that is just fine with them. The divide is real, it is not a myth. And it doesn't do our campus any good. Ultimately, all of us should be on the same side and on the same team, whatever the sport is. Don't think for one second that NDSU and other rivals don't use the whole "Hockey is all that matters" mentality when trying to beat us in the recruiting game ("Don't go to UND, all they care about is hockey and no one will care about your team. We'll treat you like royalty here"). The move to Division I in all sports was a waste of time, energy and resources if we continue this "Hockey is all that matters" approach.

I get what you are saying, but as long as Hockey is the only program that is WINNING .... CONSISTENTLY. That is the way it will be. Look at Bison football, it has always been their big sport, but what has happened their in the past five years? I have been to their tailgating a few times. Every time is is bigger. I was there this weekend, and it has gotten HUGE! Not because they just have interested alumni, it is because they win. They have die hard fans at tailgating, that didn't even go to school there.

Programs will get attention based on success. That is really the end of it. This holds true almost anywhere. Why has football attendance gone down hill over the last 10 years? We have been terrible. Bubba is trying to turn that around. Do that, and they will continue to get more attention and more support.

Simply having a team in a specific sport is not enough to garner attention. Success is key. That is not my personal opinion, that is the way it is. I would love to see Football and Basketball get more attention, but they need to earn it.

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 4

I get what you are saying, but as long as Hockey is the only program that is WINNING .... CONSISTENTLY. That is the way it will be. Look at Bison football, it has always been their big sport, but what has happened their in the past five years. I have been to their tailgating a few times. Every time is is bigger. I was their this weekend, and it has gotten HUGE! Not because they just have interested alumni, it is because they win. They have die hard fans at tailgating, that didn't even go to school there.

Programs will get attention based on success. That is really the end of it. This holds true almost anywhere. Why has football attendance gone down hill over the last 10 years? We have been terrible. Bubba is trying to turn that around. Do that, and they will continue to get more attention and more support.

Simple having a team in a specific sport is not enough to garner attention. Success is key. That is not my personal opinion, that is the way it is. I would love to see Football and Basketball get more attention, but they need to earn it.

Exactly. 

So all of this is a zero sum game? Trying to lift all of our programs to a certain level of excellence is an attack on Men's Hockey? What a crock of crap that is! You are proving my point for me. Thank you.

look drama queen, if you think the Nodak nickname is going to help the hockey team and "send the rest of the athletics down the sewer" you go ahead and believe that.

• Upvote 2

I get what you are saying, but as long as Hockey is the only program that is WINNING .... CONSISTENTLY. That is the way it will be. Look at Bison football, it has always been their big sport, but what has happened their in the past five years. I have been to their tailgating a few times. Every time is is bigger. I was their this weekend, and it has gotten HUGE! Not because they just have interested alumni, it is because they win. They have die hard fans at tailgating, that didn't even go to school there.

Simple having a team in a specific sport is not enough to garner attention. Success is key. That is not my personal opinion, that is the way it is. I would love to see Football and Basketball get more attention, but they need to earn it.

NDSU's basketball team has done more than a fair share of winning but the majority of their fan's treat the program like a red-headed stepchild, not to mention some of their very successful women's programs that get zero support. I'm not sure why pointing out that there is a large faction of fans that support one sport and could not care less what happens to rest seems to be such a controversial topic. It is true and it isn't unique to UND other than the team that sees the support happens to be one that in the grand scheme of things is likely either second or even third in terms of exposure that could be brought to UND with sustained success.

• Upvote 2

I think we are talking about the chicken and the egg here. Which comes first? You cannot win without the resources for coaching salaries, recruiting budgets, etc. So the sure-fire way to ignore a program and justify that approach is to not give them enough resources and then complain they don't win enough so you can justify continuing to ignore them. It is hard to believe, but our FB program was once consistently ranked in the top 10 nationally (about 10 years ago). And they got very little in return. Poor marketing. Poor attendance. I believe this was one of the reasons Dale Lennon up and left for SIU when he did. They made a real commitment to their FB program and we wouldn't. That stuck us with Chris Mussman and we both know where that took us.

Again, if we wanted to continue ignoring all sports except Men's Hockey, we should have stayed in Division II. Sometimes, I wonder if we moved up because NDSU and SDSU moved up. That is never a good reason to make a huge jump like the jump from Division II to Division I.

NDSU's basketball team has done more than a fair share of winning but the majority of their fan's treat the program like a red-headed stepchild, not to mention some of their very successful women's programs that get zero support. I'm not sure why pointing out that there is a large faction of fans that support one sport and could not care less what happens to rest seems to be such a controversial topic. It is true and it isn't unique to UND other than the team that sees the support happens to be one that in the grand scheme of things is likely either second or even third in terms of exposure that could be brought to UND with sustained success.

Nice..sorry to do it this way, but I'm out of arrow ups I guess!!!!! Uugh

Kind of amazing how much the hockey team can sway a vote 

We'll see how it goes, but it is kind of funny how that blind devotion can sway people.  I think that is how the NDSU football team can dismiss a lot of the things that went on.  When I hear so much about "culture" by the top programs, and then I see some of the discipline or lack thereof that goes with actions, it leads me to believe that fan bases will be willing to excuse a lot of behavior in the namesake of winning.  Guess we can look back on some of these threads and see people's top 5 choices and then how they evolved when the powers that be have spoken. 

Edited by tnt

If anyone here votes for Sundogs please have the stones to come forward publicly so that all of us here can ridicule mercilessly!

I bet it was fightingsundogs4life :p

I gave u love for being good natured even if u have terrible taste & judgement 

Disagree with this. Their basketball team gets plenty of support. Not the same level of attention as a back to back to back to back nation champion program; but isn't that to be expected?

As for the women's sports .... this holds true everywhere. Not meant to be sexist, but in general men's sports get more attention and interest across the board. I for one am just not interested in the women's sports. Its not that I don't want to be, but I guess I can only dedicate so much of my time to watching sports, and the men's teams are more interesting to me. 

I guess, I don't understand the football or basketball fans that seem to despise hockey, and I don't get the hockey fans that seem to think other sports are just a joke. 

• Upvote 2

What I am sick of is the attitude of some (and I emphasis the word some here) Men's Hockey rubes that as long as Men's Hockey is happy, nothing else matters and if everything else goes down the sewer, that is just fine with them. The divide is real, it is not a myth. And it doesn't do our campus any good. Ultimately, all of us should be on the same side and on the same team, whatever the sport is. Don't think for one second that NDSU and other rivals don't use the whole "Hockey is all that matters" mentality when trying to beat us in the recruiting game ("Don't go to UND, all they care about is hockey and no one will care about your team. We'll treat you like royalty here"). The move to Division I in all sports was a waste of time, energy and resources if we continue this "Hockey is all that matters" approach.

AMEN.  Despite what most non-alumni hockey fans (and some alumni as well) think, UND is not a semi-professional hockey club.  It's a university (the FLAGSHIP university of the state no less), and has other athletic teams in addition to men's hockey. Far too many people lose sight of that.  I for one am sick of hearing people discussing the nickname vote in terms of "what looks good on a hockey jersey".  I love UND hockey, but I'm equally passionate about football and other sports at UND, and am proud of the academic accomplishments of the university as well.  I hope that the hockey only crowd refrains from voting, although I recognize their right to vote if they qualify as an alum, season ticket holder, donor, etc.

• Upvote 4

AMEN.  Despite what most non-alumni hockey fans (and some alumni as well) think, UND is not a semi-professional hockey club.  It's a university (the FLAGSHIP university of the state no less), and has other athletic teams in addition to men's hockey. Far too many people lose sight of that.  I for one am sick of hearing people discussing the nickname vote in terms of "what looks good on a hockey jersey".  I love UND hockey, but I'm equally passionate about football and other sports at UND, and am proud of the academic accomplishments of the university as well.  I hope that the hockey only crowd refrains from voting, although I recognize their right to vote if they qualify as an alum, season ticket holder, donor, etc.

+1000