SiouxSports.com Forum

University of north dakota fighting nodaks

fightingsioux08

lets say that nodaks wins...Kelly might want to make the losers that voted for the other names feel warm in side and incorporates the fighting hawks and sundogs into the nodak name....a sundog (three suns) and a north star (think three suns and one star!!)  with a hawk flying through the air...it would be enough to make tom dennis cry for a week thinking how beautiful and inclusive that logo would be

• Upvote 1

Why doesn't anyone talk about the Houston Texans?  They are named after the State they play in and they have a bull for a logo.  It's not like being named the Nodaks is going to limit us to some crap logo, if anything I think it opens the door to many possibilities.

Pro teams in Texas have a history of being named Texans.  The KC Chiefs used to be the Dallas Texans as an AFL  team before the Dallas Cowboys arrived.

Edited by SiouxVolley

lets say that nodaks wins...Kelly might want to make the losers that voted for the other names feel warm in side and incorporates the fighting hawks and sundogs into the nodak name....a sundog (three suns) and a north star (think three suns and one star!!)  with a hawk flying through the air...it would be enough to make tom dennis cry for a week thinking how beautiful and inclusive that logo would be

The sun is a star :wink:

Why doesn't anyone talk about the Houston Texans?  They are named after the State they play in and they have a bull for a logo.

Because it isn't the same? Nodaks is the option, not North Dakotans.  On top of it, it isn't Grand Forks Nodaks.

If you want a true comparison: Texas Tex's sounds as terrible as University of North Dakota Nodaks or the Redundant Redundancies.

Or Nodaks wins and Mr. Brien comes up with an awesome (and original) logo.  How about that scenario?

He came up with an incredible logo for Fighting Sioux, and what good is it now when weighed against a perceived slur?

If Nodaks ends up the name, I hope they get a logo besides the interlocking ND, or do something to differentiate from the 2nd ND school's version of it, personally.

Just for the record on a Nodak re-vamp of the Islander logo, they'll have to change that hate into a bomber hat for accuracy purposes.

• Upvote 1

So, it has come down to this.  The no nickname crowd is so angry that they are willing to saddle UND with a stupid nickname  like "Nodaks"?  

Pathetic.  

Why do you automatically assume that is the sole reason anyone would choose Nodaks? Couldn't possibly be because they don't like the remaining options? Personally I don't like any of them I don't like Nodaks the least.

Sounds to me like you just don't like Nodaks, and you're pissed off that enough people do like it that it may actually win. While that is understandable, grouping everyone reasoning together and accusing their votes of being made in bitterness is a little unnecessary.

Do you plan to stop supporting the teams or programs if they become the Nodaks? I know I won't retract my support if they are the Roughriders, even if that wasn't my vote. Might be time to chill out a bit, this vote isn't exactly ideal for anyone.

• Upvote 2

Why do you automatically assume that is the sole reason anyone would choose Nodaks? Couldn't possibly be because they don't like the remaining options? Personally I don't like any of them I don't like Nodaks the least.

Sounds to me like you just don't like Nodaks, and you're pissed off that enough people do like it that it may actually win. While that is understandable, grouping everyone reasoning together and accusing their votes of being made in bitterness is a little unnecessary.

Do you plan to stop supporting the teams or programs if they become the Nodaks? I know I won't retract my support if they are the Roughriders, even if that wasn't my vote. Might be time to chill out a bit, this vote isn't exactly ideal for anyone.

You can't dny that Nodaks is the overwhelming favorite of those that supported the  "North Dakota" option.  Besides being similar to "North Dakota" and that we kind of used it 80 years ago, why is Nodaks a good name?  

• Upvote 1

I voted Fighting Hawks but Fighting Nodaks would be great to

Either I may actually spend some $$$ on gear

If its roughriders I will remain 100% Fighting Sioux Forever - It just makes no sense to me. Loved TR as a president but that is no reason to use it - It is Red Rivers name & that should be enough to reject it. 

Edited by Fetch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

While not a fan of Nodaks, I could live with it under some conditions;  "Fighting" as an adjective, and a serviceable logo.  However, that is my problem with Nodaks, we are not certain either one of those can, or will happen.  

Schlossman's response to being accused of trying to sway the vote to NoDaks:

"I wrote a column three weeks ago, saying what I was going to vote for. That was my point of view story that, and people can say that's the point of columns. Reporting what the hockey players and coaches were going to vote for is just my job and reporting. People were curious what they were going to vote for and I relayed that information."

If its roughriders I will remain 100% Fighting Sioux Forever - It just makes no sense to me. Loved TR as a president but that is no reason to use it - It is Red Rivers name & that should be enough to reject it. 

And I suppose Grand Forks Central shouldn't have adopted Knights because "Climax-Fisher doesn't want us to use it." :silly:

I don't know about you, but I have had it up to you-know-where hearing what everyone else wants us to do.

A new nickname doesn't have to mean new logo, even though I think we will get an additional logo. Many schools like Denver, Michigan, and Indiana don't use logos depicting their nickname. If we select Nodaks I'd like to keep using the ND as our primary.

This is too difficult for some on here to understand...lmao!

• Upvote 1

you could save some money by buying either a nodak mutual insurance shirt, a nodak cab shirt, or a nodak electric cooperative hoodie, nodak outdoors hockey jersey, nodak records hat, or a nodak angler winter gloves? 

Edited by SIOUXFAN97

So you'll guarantee a NoDak logo wouldn't be PC because of UND admin?  I'll guarantee a RR logo won't have military implications.

We could have insisted that any logo be voted on, but we didnt and the UND admin hasn't offered,

Yes! No problem, they arent falling apart at the seams like you and teddy boy. If they were that bad, would RR even have a chance with all the stupid history brought up saying he was a racist? Get real!

Why doesn't anyone talk about the Houston Texans?  They are named after the State they play in and they have a bull for a logo.  It's not like being named the Nodaks is going to limit us to some crap logo, if anything I think it opens the door to many possibilities.

There you go RR or die crowd....logic! 

Try some.

Nice post!!

Edited by bigskyvikes

Are you 5? Having a tantrum are you? The chance of these being the logo is as good as you being logical.

im sure that's what a lot of islander fans thought when it was pre-released...just ask mike milbury what he thought of it...or on second thougth don't!!