SiouxSports.com Forum

University of north dakota fighting nodaks

fightingsioux08

define hanging around. I haven't heard anyone refer to them as the Warriors ever, including people I know who went there. There might be a pocket of people who want the name back but it's not a campus wide thing. Similarly, Miami has moved on, St. John's has moved on. Heck Syracuse has moved on and their name changed like 10 years ago 

Still chant "Lets Go Warriors" at their basketball games. As far as apparel worn at games by their fans at games it is about 10% Golden Eagles gear with the remaining 90% split between Warrior gear and Marquette gear.....it's been 22 years.

If you go to their bookstore site, 14 of the 120 most popular items have Golden Eagles on them with the rest being Marquette only. Even most students who have attended since 1994 when they changed their name refer to themselves as Warriors.

And in my opinion I think the Fighting Sioux name had a lot more passion behind it than the Warrior name did.....or at the very least equal to it.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, I've never heard of Marquette being threatened with a forfeit if players show up with any Warrior icons on them at a NCAA tournament like UND was. Wondering if there has ever been an attempt to ban people from wearing "Warrior" clothing on campus. And don't those fans know that if they support "Marquette" only they are damaging their school and cheating their athletes out of a nickname? 

• Upvote 2

I couldn't care less about Roughriders.  You are missing the point.  

Did you notice the huge swing towards Nodaks in the past week or two?  It wasn't even a blip on the radar 2 months ago.  Do you think what the hockey programs said publically about Nodaks had anything to do with that?  Just a wee little bit?

Wag The Dog.

But the problem is you think because they hockey team swayed it they arent doing whats best for the whole ccollege. What will it hurt?? This is crazy, and coming from the RR or nothing crowd!

• Upvote 2

I couldn't care less about Roughriders.  You are missing the point.  

Did you notice the huge swing towards Nodaks in the past week or two?  It wasn't even a blip on the radar 2 months ago.  Do you think what the hockey programs said publically about Nodaks had anything to do with that?  Just a wee little bit?

Wag The Dog.

Maybe a bit, but not as much as you think. There are a couple people who have said that swayed their vote, but Nodaks was picking up steam well before the hockey teams and their coaches said anything about how they would vote. Honestly, I think the public chatter within this forum, the explanation and reasoning printed in the herald and the limited options has more to do with Nodaks becoming popular.

But the problem is you think because they hockey team swayed it they arent doing whats best for the whole ccollege. What will it hurt?? This is crazy, and coming from the RR or nothing crowd!

I voted for Nodaks.  Posted yesterday in the Exit Poll forum.

I just hate and am disappointed in the reasoning why the hockey teams want Nodaks.  They couldn't care less about the name itself. 

Still chant "Lets Go Warriors" at their basketball games. As far as apparel worn at games by their fans at games it is about 10% Golden Eagles gear with the remaining 90% split between Warrior gear and Marquette gear.....it's been 22 years.

If you go to their bookstore site, 14 of the 120 most popular items have Golden Eagles on them with the rest being Marquette only. Even most students who have attended since 1994 when they changed their name refer to themselves as Warriors.

And in my opinion I think the Fighting Sioux name had a lot more passion behind it than the Warrior name did.....or at the very least equal to it.

if all that were true then sure. i am sure it's not, or else i know the wrong people that go/went there. and what they have at their bookstore is pretty immaterial. that stuff could be the most popular for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with the nickname or lack of nickname. or it could be that people hate the nickname but don't necessarily want warriors back. that's what camp i would be in if we became the sundogs, for example.

there was a reason why flickertails and nodaks were replaced. this nostalgia stuff is for losers.

Psst!  Your avatar is a picture of a guy that's been dead nearly 100 years, and you're advocating for a name taken from a horse-mounted cavalry unit that fought, not in this century, not in the last century, but in the 1800's!

• Upvote 2

I just hate and am disappointed in the reasoning why the hockey teams want Nodaks.  They couldn't care less about the name itself. 

Agreed - there's nothing wrong with liking Nodaks for what it is.

The problem with voting for Nodaks solely as a proxy for no nickname is that the school will then be stuck with it for a very long time. Had the no nickname movement succeeded, it would've left open the possibility for future stakeholders to revisit the decision and perhaps decide it was time for a new nickname in 10 years. However, with Nodaks in place, that's much less likely.

Voting for Nodaks because it's perceived as not displacing Fighting Sioux probably isn't in the best interest of the school. But there's nothing wrong with voting for Nodaks because you think it's the best of the nickname options.

• Upvote 3

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=101120

The hockey teams have now made it public that they want 'Nodaks' because its the closest to 'North Dakota', which is the best option to keep Sioux alive behind the gold plated marble doors of their REA locker rooms.  

Glad the Hockey teams reasoning is about what's best for UND as a whole.  :silly:

I finally got around to reading your link, following Jim Dahl's post this morning, and candidly, this post is just a gross misrepresentation as to what Brad reported the players said about the name.  The players said nothing about voting Nodaks, the closest thing to North Dakota, the best option to keep Sioux alive behind the REA locker room doors.

What was actually written was that many said they liked it because it was closest to North Dakota, which a majority of their fans had preferred.  Others said it was the most unique name in the group.  One said it was the best way of honoring the past.

• Upvote 2

Hmmm, I've never heard of Marquette being threatened with a forfeit if players show up with any Warrior icons on them at a NCAA tournament like UND was. Wondering if there has ever been an attempt to ban people from wearing "Warrior" clothing on campus. And don't those fans know that if they support "Marquette" only they are damaging their school and cheating their athletes out of a nickname? 

There administration has at times over the years tried and they received pretty major backlash.

I finally got around to reading your link, following Jim Dahl's post this morning, and candidly, this post is just a gross misrepresentation as to what Brad reported the players said about the name.  The players said nothing about voting Nodaks, the closest thing to North Dakota, the best option to keep Sioux alive behind the REA locker room doors.

What was actually written was that many said they liked it because it was closest to North Dakota, which a majority of their fans had preferred.  Others said it was the most unique name in the group.  One said it was the best way of honoring the past.

Which is exactly what I said.  Then, I took it further and added in Berry's comments via Hennen's radio interview where they basically talked about the Sioux nickname for a good part of the time.  He kept emphasizing how they are going to continue to honor the past in the program, blah blah.  Which means they are going to continue to draw on the Sioux name for motivation, etc.  Which means they sure as hell aren't embracing the new name for anything.

Why do you think they want something that is "as close to North Dakota" as possible?  For the reasons I laid out above.  You guys refuse to believe the hockey team has ulterior motives in this thing, unreal how you cannot believe what you are reading.  

Hell, even Jim came out and agreed that it appears that way and he is as level headed on here as anyone.  

Edited by UND1983
  • Upvote 1

I'll probably vote in the next day or to and I couldn't care less about the new name. Just want to make sure it's not Sun Dogs. But I certainly have no investment in a name that is going to be a short term solution because the permanent name solution whatever it was or is was not in the final 5.

• Upvote 1

Really?

Every member of the men’s and women’s hockey teams that I spoke to said that their choice is Nodaks. A couple of the women’s players said they may not vote. But I didn’t have anyone tell me they are voting for any name other than Nodaks.

if all that were true then sure. i am sure it's not, or else i know the wrong people that go/went there. and what they have at their bookstore is pretty immaterial. that stuff could be the most popular for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with the nickname or lack of nickname. or it could be that people hate the nickname but don't necessarily want warriors back. that's what camp i would be in if we became the sundogs, for example.

this info isn't hard to find.

Really?

Every member of the men’s and women’s hockey teams that I spoke to said that their choice is Nodaks. A couple of the women’s players said they may not vote. But I didn’t have anyone tell me they are voting for any name other than Nodaks.

Read my entire sentence, not just before the comma.  There was nothing in Brad's blog regarding keeping the Sioux name alive.

Your response is exactly what I am talking about.  You take a sentence and then either misquote it, quote only part of it to cause it to lose it's context, or add a bunch of stuff that wasn't in the quote but you claim to have heard elsewhere.

Edited by SJHovey

Agreed - there's nothing wrong with liking Nodaks for what it is.

The problem with voting for Nodaks solely as a proxy for no nickname is that the school will then be stuck with it for a very long time. Had the no nickname movement succeeded, it would've left open the possibility for future stakeholders to revisit the decision and perhaps decide it was time for a new nickname in 10 years. However, with Nodaks in place, that's much less likely.

Voting for Nodaks because it's perceived as not displacing Fighting Sioux probably isn't in the best interest of the school. But there's nothing wrong with voting for Nodaks because you think it's the best of the nickname options.

I think this will happen

" revisit the decision and perhaps decide it was time for a new nickname in 10 years."

no matter which way this ends up.

Bottom line is, of the 5 selections remaining there isn't one that is worthy of the University of North Dakota.

Read my entire sentence, not just before the comma.  There was nothing in Brad's blog regarding keeping the Sioux name alive.

Your response is exactly what I am talking about.  You take a sentence and then either misquote it, quote only part of it to cause it to lose it's context, or add a bunch of stuff that wasn't in the quote but you claim to have heard elsewhere.

Then, you need to keep reading about what I have written about Berry on Hennen's show.  

Why do you think they really want Nodaks based on what you have read from their statements?

Edited by UND1983

Then, you need to keep reading about what I have written about Berry on Hennen's show.  

Why do you think they really want Nodaks based on what you have read from their statements?

Honestly, I think the hockey players don't have a huge amount invested in it either way, certainly not as much as the average fan, but that's pure speculation on my part.  My guess is that the players have heard about or read that a substantial majority of the fans wanted it left just as North Dakota, and then told Brad that Nodaks was as close to North Dakota as the five choices offered. More of a shout out to us fans than anything else.  That's the way I read Brad's post.

Honestly, I think the hockey players don't have a huge amount invested in it either way, certainly not as much as the average fan, but that's pure speculation on my part.  My guess is that the players have heard about or read that a substantial majority of the fans wanted it left just as North Dakota, and then told Brad that Nodaks was as close to North Dakota as the five choices offered. More of a shout out to us fans than anything else.  That's the way I read Brad's post.

Their comments on social media throughout this process paints a different picture.

Psst!  Your avatar is a picture of a guy that's been dead nearly 100 years, and you're advocating for a name taken from a horse-mounted cavalry unit that fought, not in this century, not in the last century, but in the 1800's!

military nostalgia is something I won't apologize for...part of liking the RR/teddy is the military aspect. if we go with the Marlboro man for the logo that's fine...a horse I;m fine with.  if we have teddy then we are HONORING him and the military as a whole.  I'm just poking fun at the people that got warm and fuzzy when brad s. posted a pic of a 5'10 155lbs offensive lineman from the1922 football posing in a nodak jersey.

I think this will happen

" revisit the decision and perhaps decide it was time for a new nickname in 10 years."

Bottom line is, of the 5 selections remaining there isn't one that is worthy of the University of North Dakota.

a little overreaction maybe!!! somehow UND is above having one of their state nicknames for their flagship university....a couple dozen or so other schools have chosen their state nicknames and it has worked out quite well for them....we have a chance to have a unique nickname to D1 schools but we want to go back to something that other schools and college gameday will/have had a fun time making fun of the hicks/nodaks from north Dakota!

Their comments on social media throughout this process paints a different picture.

Maybe.  I honestly don't follow twitter or similar social media, so I can't speak to that.  Out of curiosity, and following your post, I did just randomly look up about a dozen or so twitter accounts by current players and found a single comment, by Cags, relating to the nickname.  Again, they could be posting elsewhere, but as a bunch of college kids playing hockey and going to school, they probably have a lot more to worry about.

Maybe.  I honestly don't follow twitter or similar social media, so I can't speak to that.  Out of curiosity, and following your post, I did just randomly look up about a dozen or so twitter accounts by current players and found a single comment, by Cags, relating to the nickname.  Again, they could be posting elsewhere, but as a bunch of college kids playing hockey and going to school, they probably have a lot more to worry about.

I was more referring to this summer. Not a coincidence that their opinions have been dialed back.

I think this will happen

I love this argument.  They could do the process over again and come up with 5 new names and you (and others) would be making the same claim.  I will say we all can agree that no name is ever going to be as good as Fighting Sioux.  But to say that no name is worthy of UND?  Come on!!  In the minds of the people with that opinion, no name is going to be good enough.  

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ locked this topic