SiouxSports.com Forum

University of north dakota fighting nodaks

fightingsioux08

Agreed about what you said about a very clear and specific logo.

I never said that the Sioux doesn't think about licensing revenues so not sure where the 2nd paragraph was referring to.

Just a general statement of my opinion to the masses, thus the separation. 

Ha-ha, it's not all about you ;)

Agreed about what you said about a very clear and specific logo.

I never said that the Sioux doesn't think about licensing revenues so not sure where the 2nd paragraph was referring to.

It's all about the control.  UND had broad leverage in the marketplace with Sioux (an 80+ year brand does that for you).  UND is merely next in line with whatever name it ends up with.

Let that sink in…nodakclothing.com has the upper hand on "Nodak" because it got there first.  It's like if "Former Mayor" Haakenson were actually making and selling something rather than being a curmudgeon.

It's all about the control.  UND had broad leverage in the marketplace with Sioux (an 80+ year brand does that for you).  UND is merely next in line with whatever name it ends up with.

Let that sink in…nodakclothing.com has the upper hand on "Nodak" because it got there first.  It's like if "Former Mayor" Haakenson were actually making and selling something rather than being a curmudgeon.

Clearly any nickname that's picked will not have the leverage that Sioux had.

So do you think Nodakclothing.com will have a bigger market share of Nodak Apparel sold than UND athletics if Nodaks is chosen? Will people immediately associate the clothing with their brand? I doubt it since most people aren't even aware it exists.

Again, obviously they won't be 1st with any nickname like they were with the Sioux.  I think we're on the same page? Sort of?

Clearly any nickname that's picked will not have the leverage that Sioux had.

So do you think Nodakclothing.com will have a bigger market share of Nodak Apparel sold than UND athletics if Nodaks is chosen? Will people immediately associate the clothing with their brand? I doubt it since most people aren't even aware it exists.

Again, obviously they won't be 1st with any nickname like they were with the Sioux.  I think we're on the same page? Sort of?

Not a bigger market share, necessarily, but name exclusivity is basically out the window and UND will have to tolerate a lot more unlicensed merchandise in the marketplace than anyone has seen in the past.  It will need to be the logo and not the name that creates consumer demand in order to generate big revenue.  

It's kind of like a tourist t-shirt sold in the visitor's center along the highway…it may say "North Dakota" and it may be bought and worn by a UND fan but it's unlikely that the school is getting any of the action.  That's life for a university named after the state (or even a pro team and its home city).  Mix in some third-parties being able to freely sell t-shirts with the team's nickname, however, and that can affect the bottom line.  The more generic the name, the less control any one party has.  It's built-in competition that frankly didn't exist with Sioux (Sioux Forever shirts sold at Play It Again Sports being an obvious exception).  The plain block-letter "SIOUX" tees and sweatshirts you saw at the bookstore and at Scheels were licensed and there were few, if any, substitutes.

I am glad that so many of you like fighting nodaks:.  (If nodaks win) hopefully a lot of fans will add fighting to the name to make it a better team name:)

If Nodaks wins, there is zero chance that "Fighting" will be added in front of it.  So get that out of your mind right now.  Do you really think that UND wants the scenario where at every athletic event when the team comes onto the filed/court/ice, the announcer says "Here comes your University of North Dakota Fighting....and before he can say Nodaks, the crowd yells "SIOUX"?  

If Nodaks wins, there is zero chance that "Fighting" will be added in front of it.  So get that out of your mind right now.  Do you really think that UND wants the scenario where at every athletic event when the team comes onto the filed/court/ice, the announcer says "Here comes your University of North Dakota Fighting....and before he can say Nodaks, the crowd yells "SIOUX"?  

Meh, I'd say there's a decent chance of "Fighting" being added over the course of a few years if Nodaks is chosen.

• Upvote 2

Would you give it up, you have zero knowledge of this! Stop acting like you do! I bet Fighting gets added...someday. This is how i feel about it! There is zero chance you know more about the things being added to a name then anyone else on here....guessing!

• Upvote 1

If we could get a high percentage of fans to say fighting before nodaks...especially at the arena...(and get some non official sites to sale non official fighting nodaks merchandise), maybe some of the media (opposing teams newspapers, radio, tv announcers) would call us fighting nodaks....maybe und would officially add fighting...I am thinking it would be a 5 to 10 or more year wait....I would say therr is a small chance of it happening

If we could get a high percentage of fans to say fighting before nodaks...especially at the arena...(and get some non official sites to sale non official fighting nodaks merchandise), maybe some of the media (opposing teams newspapers, radio, tv announcers) would call us fighting nodaks....maybe und would officially add fighting...I am thinking it would be a 5 to 10 or more year wait....I would say therr is a small chance of it happening

when the names of the finalists became known, there was a statement released that said tweaking the names a little bit would be possible.   My guess is fighting could be added quite easily to any of the names.  Fighting Nodak sounds the best!

when the names of the finalists became known, there was a statement released that said tweaking the names a little bit would be possible.   My guess is fighting could be added quite easily to any of the names.  Fighting Nodak sounds the best!

Agreed.  I think "Fighting Nodaks" has a better touch.

• Upvote 1

Didn't take long for the Nodak'ers to realize that it was a 'poor' name, so now let's add Fighting to make it seem less (I want to say fugly, but let's go with) lame. Nodaks alone is a less than insipiring name, so if, God forbid, Nodak does get the nod, by all means, let's add Fighting as soon as we can.

Sorry about the negative and derisive post, but imho Nodaks is absolutely the worst option left. I would much rather see any of the other names win.

• 2 years later...
On October 19, 2015 at 8:41 AM, fightingsioux08 said:

After seeing the students with their custom made nodaks jerseys and nodak flags it opened my eyes more to nodaks being a good name, as the current students should have a big say in the name, as does coach Berry.

However, even though I believe University of North Dakota nodaks sounds silly, I had a light go off in my head...

For weeks I have been getting more okay with the most common, unoriginal team name, hawks, because it had the word 'fighting' in front of it. It keeps some of the fighting sioux name history...and because it allows the fans to yell the word sioux over the word hawks everytime the announcers say it at the arena (which I believe would happen forever)

This has lead me to wish that we could become the university of north dakota fighting nodaks!

Unfortunately that was never submitted in the nickname process  (I am a bit slow with my idea:p), but I really wish it was because it combines the best option with two of our final five nickname choices AND also partially satisfies the pro fighting sioux nickname belief and the just north dakota nickname belief.

Fans would have the option to yell sioux everytime that the ralph pa announcers says "...and here comes your university of north dakota fighting nodaks"....and some will yell that forever, but maybe some would quit and enjoy our new unique name

I made this a post because if nodaks (or honestly any of the 5 names) wins I am going to start calling und the fighting nodaks and I hope you do too:)

When Kelley wouldn't let UND  no nickname as an option he one guy decided what the people students could pick.Would any of the studends people in this state like UND to have no nickname? 

How about a movemnt for UND to be unique be the school with no nickname .For a change tell them what we want. Tired of taking it in the shorts? Start movement. We are North Dakota.  You can call me 701 772 9503 

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, moser53 said:

When Kelley wouldn't let UND  no nickname as an option he one guy decided what the people students could pick.Would any of the studends people in this state like UND to have no nickname? 

How about a movemnt for UND to be unique be the school with no nickname .For a change tell them what we want. Tired of taking it in the shorts? Start movement. We are North Dakota.  You can call me 701 772 9503 

Give it up. UND is the Fighting Hawks...end of story.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic