SiouxSports.com Forum

Yet Another Nickname Lawsuit: Alberts v. University of North Dakota

Benny Baker

So what is their motive now?  Obviously the "North Dakota" will not be added on to the vote.  So what do they do now?  Wait until an eventual nickname is selected and then put it up head to head with "North Dakota"?  I don't see how a judge can rule in favor of a group of people over what UND does in regards to its procedures and practices.  Legal minds out there....does this lawsuit have any chance to actually do anything?

So what is their motive now?  Obviously the "North Dakota" will not be added on to the vote.  So what do they do now?  Wait until an eventual nickname is selected and then put it up head to head with "North Dakota"?  I don't see how a judge can rule in favor of a group of people over what UND does in regards to its procedures and practices.  Legal minds out there....does this lawsuit have any chance to actually do anything?

The lawsuit will proceed.  The judge denied the restraining order on the grounds that the plaintiff's have an adequate remedy at law if they prevail in the lawsuit; i.e., the new nickname would be invalidated.  I do not foresee this lawsuit succeeding, but I think there is some level of merit to the argument about the legislature having authority to determine the school's nickname.  Reasonable minds can certainly dispute this, but after all, the legislature certainly has had a hand in determining UND's nickname (or lack thereof) over the past few years.

http://www.inforum.com/news/3864433-court-denies-request-stop-und-nickname-vote

Welp, that was quick.  Money well spent, Mike.  

The lawsuit alleged UND broke open meetings laws and breached contract by not honoring a 1969 ceremony in which Native Americans gave the name to the university. The cause was supported by almost $5,300 in contributions to an online Go Fund Me page as of Monday afternoon.

He is going to refund all that money when it fails....isn't he?

"It is so obvious these five names inspire nobody really and they're trying to make lemonade out of a lemon," he said. 

Trying to make lemonade out of a lemon?  So UND shouldn't be trying to make the best out of a bad situation?  UND should just sit around crying for another decade?  How does a blank space, aka no nickname, inspire? 

• Upvote 1