SiouxSports.com Forum

GO WILD

Fetch

Randomly watching the NHL throughout the year, they really seem to be emphasizing "american" stuff...heres a chart of the top american players on the team. Heres' the American stop players for todays game. And they seem to make a conscious effort to point out the US colleges these players attend. 

Has it always been this way or has this amount of stuff increased in recent years in response to something (a shift in better US players, a need to connect the game to the US viewer more)?

Thoughts on the Roszival hit on Zucker?I

You could argue that the puck wasn't on Zucker's stick, so I could maybe see a 2:00 interference call - and that's even questionable since Zucker was trying to get control of the puck as it was in the air, but holy crap - 5:00 major and game ejection?!  Roszival doesn't leave his feet, doesn't hit him with an elbow, looks like a shoulder to shoulder check to me.  Yes, I see that Zucker's head hits the ice and unfortunately he got a concussion from that.  I just don't get how Roszival gets a 5:00 and a game for that...

• Upvote 3

Morning guys on NHL Radio (SiriusXM) called it "an unfortunate difference in heights": Zucker's face is at Rozsival's shoulder height. They didn't see any penalty.

They had Pierre McGuire on with them and he agreed.

They all suspect the head hitting the ice did the most damage. 

19 hours ago, Cratter said:

Randomly watching the NHL throughout the year, they really seem to be emphasizing "american" stuff...heres a chart of the top american players on the team. Heres' the American stop players for todays game. And they seem to make a conscious effort to point out the US colleges these players attend. 

Has it always been this way or has this amount of stuff increased in recent years in response to something (a shift in better US players, a need to connect the game to the US viewer more)?

I've noticed that too in the limited NHL on NBC I've seen.  But they also billed yesterday as "Hockey Day in America," so that probably had a lot to do with it too.

3 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

37,000 for the alumni game Saturday and 50,000 plus for the game sunday. Wish I could of been one of them.

Agree........know people that went. They all said it was by far the coolest hockey event they have ever attended..........this includes F4s, Olympics and NHL playoffs.

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree........know people that went. They all said it was by far the coolest hockey event they have ever attended..........this includes F4s, Olympics and NHL playoffs.

Same reaction with the folks I know that went. No doubt I will be going to the next one which I hope is within 3-4 years.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, Cratter said:

I noticed the same, think you're right (increased emphasis).

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2016 at 2:28 PM, Cratter said:

It was Hockey Day in America. That is why the emphasis on Americans.