SiouxSports.com Forum

GO WILD

Fetch

36 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Had to happen. Not all his fault by any stretch but a move of some kind was needed.

What they lack is on ice leadership. Only one (#11) player wearing a letter is even remotely worthy of one. 

• Upvote 1

MIN's collapse is not the worst in the NHL so this season. 

• MIN is in a three-way tie five points behind the second Western wildcard. 
  • MON is tied with PHI, and behind CAR and PIT six points behind the second Eastern wildcard. 

I'm trying Wild fans ... 

10 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Soooo, it was all Yeo's fault?

I mean, they did win last night with the same players.  So that's the only explanation.  Right?

These coaches make lots of money to do what they do for a living. And the Wild have spent a lot of money to upgrade the roster. So yes, I do think Yeo wasn't getting the most out of what he had to work with. And yes, I do think it was right to hand him his walking papers. Tom Powers of the St. Paul Pioneer Press had a piece a few weeks back calling the Wild "Yeobots" for basically using the same tired-old system that Jacques Lemaire used to use. He also pointed out that every team in the NHL does not use the same exact system. So I am not surprised he was let go; it simply wasn't going to get turned around. Sometimes players need to hear a different voice; maybe that will give them the shot in the arm they have needed.

I liked Yeo

But it sure has been hard to stay focused on the Wild

Last yr was the 1st time I really followed them - Tried to see as many games as I could & it was fun

This yr not so much

Something had to happen & I guess coaching at this level is usually where they start to make changes

It sure is more fun when u have a dog in the fight

Suter looked like he actually gave a ____ last night.  He wears a letter and basically quit on Yeo over the past few weeks. Would not call that leadership and I'll say it again the lack of player leadership on and off the ice leading up to Yeo getting the ax was more of an issue than Yeo himself. 

Don't misunderstand - Yeo was going to get fired, and I'm not implying he should have been kept.  As stated, something had to change.

My sarcasm was aimed at the people who believe that was the only problem.  This team has other issues (Pominville, the proliferation of Gophers they keep overpaying for, a couple bad contracts, etc), that also contribute to holding them back.  If they don't get a late season turn-around and make the playoffs, I think Fletcher could well be fired.  If they do make the turnaround and make some playoff noise, I think the "interim" will get removed from the coach, probably with too big of a payday attached.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Don't misunderstand - Yeo was going to get fired, and I'm not implying he should have been kept.  As stated, something had to change.

My sarcasm was aimed at the people who believe that was the only problem.  This team has other issues (Pominville, the proliferation of Gophers they keep overpaying for, a couple bad contracts, etc), that also contribute to holding them back.  If they don't get a late season turn-around and make the playoffs, I think Fletcher could well be fired.  If they do make the turnaround and make some playoff noise, I think the "interim" will get removed from the coach, probably with too big of a payday attached.

You are 100% right; Fletcher deserves much of the blame as well and he is next on the chopping block if this franchise implodes. And that could very well happen the rest of this season and the off-season.

7 hours ago, sioux rube said:

3 in a row for the Torch. Keep that flame burning coach. 

Amazing what a little bit of "want to" and effort will do. A good chunck of this team should be embarrassed for quitting on Yeo......not that he wasn't part of the issue. Can't win a home game in 2016, fire the coach then reel off 3 straight in the road. IMO that says more about the players than the former coach.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Amazing what a little bit of "want to" and effort will do. A good chunck of this team should be embarrassed for quitting on Yeo......not that he wasn't part of the issue. Can't win a home game in 2016, fire the coach then reel off 3 straight in the road. IMO that says more about the players than the former coach.

Agreed.

Now they get a home game on Sunday against the nemesis Blackhawks.  And outdoors where the Blackhawks get a game (seems more like 3?) every year, and it'll be MN's first...  I'm still excited to go to the game, but I'm more than a little guarded about the outcome.

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Oh I think it's 50/50 with Yeo and players. Yeo became stale and the team played stale. They bring in Torch who is upbeat and holds players accountable and the team responds. Will it last?  Who knows but it's been fun to watch the Wild since he arrived. 

• Upvote 1