SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky vs. SumValley: 2015-16 Edition

2011BisonAlumni

Hey if you don't care or want to see NDSU on UND's schedule it will be a lot easier on you if you just GTFO the board.  Until then the rest of us are sick of your garbarge.

I don't want to see UND on NDSU's schedule given the conference affiliation and the fact that handcuffing NDSU's scheduling oopportunities hurts NDSU's football program. I would fully embrace UND making a MVFC push and playing NDSU annually in conference play.

Do you guys seriously want to be in Big Sky? 

Edited by 2011BisonAlumni
  • Downvote 1

I don't want to see UND on NDSU's schedule given the conference affiliation and the fact that handcuffing NDSU's scheduling oopportunities hurts NDSU's football program. I would fully embrace UND making a MVFC push.

Do you guys seriousky want to be in Big Sky? 

I enjoy UND being in a football conference instead of being an independent, which was UND's options when the Big Sky came calling.  If a spot ever opens up in the MVFC and the Summit I think UND should pursue it.  I don't see that happening as long as the eastern half of the MVFC is opposed to it, so until Youngstown leaves or Indiana State or UNI finally pulls the plug on their football programs I don't see it happening. In the meantime, I feel UND can become a nationally competitive team in the Big Sky, but unfortunately is probably 4-5 years away due to some incredibly short-sighted and stupid decisions within the athletic department.

I enjoy UND being in a football conference instead of being an independent, which was UND's options when the Big Sky came calling.  If a spot ever opens up in the MVFC and the Summit I think UND should pursue it.  I don't see that happening as long as the eastern half of the MVFC is opposed to it, so until Youngstown leaves or Indiana State or UNI finally pulls the plug on their football programs I don't see it happening. In the meantime, I feel UND can become a nationally competitive team in the Big Sky, but unfortunately is probably 4-5 years away due to some incredibly short-sighted and stupid decisions within the athletic department.

I could be wrong but didn't our athletic director or president get caught lying about not getting invited into either the MVFC or Summit League?

I could be wrong but didn't our athletic director or president get caught lying about not getting invited into either the MVFC or Summit League?

Due to the invitation from the Big Sky, UND cancelled the Summit's site visit which has without fail led to an invite 100% of the time. The MVFC made it clear they didn't have any interest at the time.

Why couldn't UND join the Summit League and still be a football affiliate in the BSC? Works for Cal Poly and Davis. Would be much better for our other sports then flying them all over the western US.

That is a good question, I don't think Fullerton wanted more associated members after letting the Cali teams do it. UND was the only school from the GWFC without a permanent non football conference as SUU was in the SL and USD was about to start in the SL.  I think maybe there could be a chance Fullerton would allow UND to do that since Idaho came back to the BSC.

Actually from a player standpoint getting "Flown all over the western US" is a nice perk. Which would you rather do take a plane to Missoula, Montana or take a bus to Cedar Falls Iowa. I will say as a fan it pretty much eliminates road trips but then again the bottom line is no matter what anyone thinks would have happened our football team was offered a home in a top conference and we took it. 

• Upvote 2

Actually from a player standpoint getting "Flown all over the western US" is a nice perk. Which would you rather do take a plane to Missoula, Montana or take a bus to Cedar Falls Iowa. I will say as a fan it pretty much eliminates road trips but then again the bottom line is no matter what anyone thinks would have happened our football team was offered a home in a top conference and we took it. 

i think ndsu flies to and from UNI. 

I don't want to see UND on NDSU's schedule given the conference affiliation and the fact that handcuffing NDSU's scheduling oopportunities hurts NDSU's football program. I would fully embrace UND making a MVFC push and playing NDSU annually in conference play.

Do you guys seriously want to be in Big Sky? 

I would have no problem playing football in the MVFC, it's playing other sports in The Summit that is the problem.

• Upvote 1

I would have no problem playing football in the MVFC, it's playing other sports in The Summit that is the problem.

I wonder if the burden of funding FCOA could be pushing this back into consideration. Ugh. Travel costs aside, much prefer the Big Sky for all sports, and dissapointed more of our fanbase doesn't fully embrace it.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if the burden of funding FCOA could be pushing this back into consideration. Ugh. Travel costs aside, much prefer the Big Sky for all sports, and dissapointed more of our fanbase doesn't fully embrace it.

UND doesn't have all their sports in the Big Sky now

Travel costs would decrease, attendance numbers would increase.  I asked the question in another thread, is this what Faison was referencing when he made the comment about evaluating the athletic dept. regarding FCOA.  

my question is why do you prefer it? Not saying you should or should not. Just curious.

I disagree.  Fans won't even go to games in Grand Forks, so I call BS on the idea that they are going travel in droves to Cedar Falls, Carbondale, Macomb, or even Vermilion or Bookings.  

I think it is unfortunate that more North Dakota fans don't embrace the unique opportunity that being in the Big Sky offers.  

They are listening to all the Slummit propaganda being put out by the Imperial Cass-Clay County media conglomerates.

• Upvote 2

The Summit would be a great fit for UND. A conference tournament in a regional location, regional rivals, it is on a similar level with the Big Sky in every sport. 

I can't even imagine how rough travel is for the non-football sports. Bus to Fargo, fly to a hub airport and then connect and probably more busing after that....then you do it all over again on the way back to GF. Travel savings alone would probably fund a big chunk of FCOA. 

The MVFC is a different beast of course, the eastern schools would need to be appeased but if the Big Sky let you become a football only affiliate that wouldn't matter.  

Edited by FargoBison

I like, and prefer, the idea of being in the Big Sky Conference.  I view the western state schools as being more desirable culturally, academically, and geographically, than the east (Indiana alphabet soup? Really?).  However, the casual fans (see: majority) do not seem to be embracing/recognizing how good it is/could be.  Leading up to the game this past weekend, I had multiple UND alumni tell me how it's cool UND and ndsu are playing each other, even when UND is in a lower division.  I quickly corrected them and pointed out that UND is in the same division.  They would then say "well UND is in a lower conference" than ndsu.  I'd quickly point out that UND is in the Big Sky with Montana, the team that just beat ndsu.  They'd say "Really?  Huh, I didn't know that."  I'm not sure if it's the work of imperial Cass, poor marketing by UND, some hockey only fans who don't pay any attention, or a combination of all of them, but UND and its conference are viewed as being far less than ndsu and its competition.  If a home can be found for football (either MVFC or BSC affiliate), UND should seriously consider a move to the Slummit.  Regardless of the Big Sky being the better conference for UND (and the rest of the Dakotas, IMO), perception is reality in this business and right now the perception among the casual fans in this region is that UND is in a crappy conference with crappy schools.

• Upvote 1

I like, and prefer, the idea of being in the Big Sky Conference.  I view the western state schools as being more desirable culturally, academically, and geographically, than the east (Indiana alphabet soup? Really?).  However, the casual fans (see: majority) do not seem to be embracing/recognizing how good it is/could be.  Leading up to the game this past weekend, I had multiple UND alumni tell me how it's cool UND and ndsu are playing each other, even when UND is in a lower division.  I quickly corrected them and pointed out that UND is in the same division.  They would then say "well UND is in a lower conference" than ndsu.  I'd quickly point out that UND is in the Big Sky with Montana, the team that just beat ndsu.  They'd say "Really?  Huh, I didn't know that."  I'm not sure if it's the work of imperial Cass, poor marketing by UND, some hockey only fans who don't pay any attention, or a combination of all of them, but UND and its conference are viewed as being far less than ndsu and its competition.  If a home can be found for football (either MVFC or BSC affiliate), UND should seriously consider a move to the Slummit.  Regardless of the Big Sky being the better conference for UND (and the rest of the Dakotas, IMO), perception is reality in this business and right now the perception among the casual fans in this region is that UND is in a crappy conference with crappy schools.

So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em? That is one solution to this, but first the MVFC would have to agree to let us join. And I don't know if they would be willing to do that.