SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

Nodaks is the absolute worst nickname of the 5 remaining, and possibly the worst nickname that could possibly be chosen. It is a derogatory term used by people from other states (primarily Minnesota) to refer to North Dakota. It personifies the "hick" image. It sounds terrible, and there would be no logo. As much as I hate Sundogs, Nodaks is even worse. The other 3 are infinitely better, and in order, I prefer: (1) Roughriders (2) North Stars (3) Fighting Hawks.

Yeah, just like some thought Sioux was a derogatory term for snake in the grass, the term Nodak is used as a derisive term.  So if that name came to fruition, would the NCAA take my offense to the name as seriously as they did for the vocal minority?

Give this to Bennett Brien and tell him to come up with something a bit less cartoonish.  Worked before.  

I wonder what a Brien designed logo would look like taking the Fighting Sioux logo and making it into a hawk much like this logo took the Blackhawk logo and made it into a bird.  Might make it easier for the transition if the logos were similar.  What is the NCAA going to tell UND, that their new bird logo can't have feathers on it?!!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, just like GFC "says it all" with regard to Grand Forks Central. :silly: And how long did that last, all of about 2 years?

Sorry, but "Nodaks" is just a different version of "UND/North Dakota", which is probably why Nelson is pushing for it.

And if it was so great, why was it dropped in the first place?

Roll Roughriders! (Screw the Climax-Fisher Rule; I cannot believe Wayne Nelson has bought into that argument).

Sioux > Nodaks > Flickertails

To everyone who doesn't want two roughriders in grand forks, why was it not a problem that Central was the Red Skins and UND was the fighting sioux at the same time? Obviously not the same but about as close as can be. I say rough riders because it's the best option left and who cares what Red River goes by.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Brilliant reasoning if I've ever heard it...:huh:

Yeah, they have used green and white for so long, so why would it be hard to use certain adjectives to differentiate?  I think once you state either UND or Red River in an article, people can follow thereafter, and if they can't differentiate by that or the names of some of the athletes, they probably don't care anyway.

I feel Roughriders is out because of the GFRR connection, and I'm not changing my position on this, no matter what the argument is against it.   Sundogs isn't worth considering either.   My first choice had been Northstars but I'm not voting that way because so many others hate the name.   So, that leaves Hawks and NoDaks and I'm going with NoDaks as well.   It  fits us, it's unique and everyone will know who we are when they hear the name.

I'm pleasantly happy with my choice.   

• Upvote 2

To everyone who doesn't want two roughriders in grand forks, why was it not a problem that Central was the Red Skins and UND was the fighting sioux at the same time? Obviously not the same but about as close as can be. I say rough riders because it's the best option left and who cares what Red River goes by.

And at that same time period there was 3 more schools with Warriors as nickames (West and Wilder Elementary, and Valley Jr. High). Only now you can't have the same nickname of a school in the same city. Everything was fine prior to 1991.