SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

The voice of dissidence appears.  Everyone should get used to this sort of thing, and worse, because it's not going away for a very, very long time I think.  The whole process has been an epic clusterf@#$ from day one.  You will likely see the Sioux Were Silenced and like minded people protesting at different events.  It will be the other side of the coin from the PC knobs.  This mess will be Kelley's sordid legacy.

Edited by Chewey

Finally, a voice of reason.  THIS is how rational, sane and informed business owners (and citizens) behave.  No hijinks, no threats, no subtle demands, only the healthy realization that they may own a "trademark" but they don't own the English language.  The smart ones even recognize the potential for a huge UP-side.  Some of you should take note...

http://www.inforum.com/news/3839739-fargos-sundog-interactive-und-can-use-sundog-nickname-if-it-wants

Well it appears the Forum will leave no rock unturned in order to stir the waters - you would think a large media conglomerate would have a better understanding of copyright and registration laws. The headline is so misleading - UND would not need an advertising agencies "permission" to use Sundog as a university athletic program logo. This is just low-brow journalism. 

http://www.inforum.com/news/3839739-fargos-sundog-interactive-und-can-use-sundog-nickname-if-it-wants

Well it appears the Forum will leave no rock unturned in order to stir the waters - you would think a large media conglomerate would have a better understanding of copyright and registration laws. The headline is so misleading - UND would not need an advertising agencies "permission" to use Sundog as a university athletic program logo. This is just low-brow journalism. 

Sorry to nit-pick, but the fact that you refer to "copyright" is the very reason why the public needs to be spoon-fed. Names aren't copyrightable; this is the domain of trademark law.  And while every user of a non-original, non-unique trademark may run the risk of infringing another's rights, permission is never required.  At the same time, you should read that story as a juxtaposition against the nonsense coming out of Bismarck on Monday, not as a law school lesson.

Sorry to nit-pick, but the fact that you refer to "copyright" is the very reason why the public needs to be spoon-fed. Names aren't copyrightable; this is the domain of trademark law.  And while every user of a non-original, non-unique trademark may run the risk of infringing another's rights, permission is never required.  At the same time, you should read that story as a juxtaposition against the nonsense coming out of Bismarck on Monday, not as a law school lesson.

Yah I was lazy on the details but my point  was no permission is necessay.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't own the trademarks, he owns the trade names. There are plenty of examples where very similar trade names are allowed in different industries. There are more than 20 different trade names in North Dakota using the word Nodak. There are a large number of ways that UND can use any of those names for college sports when he has them registered as trade names for real estate. At most this looks like another minor annoyance.

Just so people know, neither Sioux nor Fighting Sioux were registered trade names. Both were registered as trademarks. Fighting Sioux Club was registered as a trade name. Champions Club, ND Champions Club and North Dakota Champions Club are all registered as trade names, and North Dakota Champions Club is also registered as a trademark.

Al, is that you? This is almost exact quotes to the herald article quoting Al Jaeger...lol. Day later....

Al, is that you? This is almost exact quotes to the herald article quoting Al Jaeger...lol. Day later....

You are going to have to provide a link. I haven't seen any quotes from Mr. Jaeger that are even close to what I was talking about. And my post was made about 36 hours ago, just a few hours after the Herald first put up the story about trade names. You seem to be a day late and a dollar short in your analysis.

You are going to have to provide a link. I haven't seen any quotes from Mr. Jaeger that are even close to what I was talking about. And my post was made about 36 hours ago, just a few hours after the Herald first put up the story about trade names. You seem to be a day late and a dollar short in your analysis.

lol, easy big boy, trying to be funny! Here is the link.....notice the time released? After you wrote your comment. Did I strike a nerve, or am I on to something?   :0

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3839807-und-trade-name-registration-former-bismarck-mayor-wont-block-nickname

lol, easy big boy, trying to be funny! Here is the link.....notice the time released? After you wrote your comment. Did I strike a nerve, or am I on to something?   :0

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3839807-und-trade-name-registration-former-bismarck-mayor-wont-block-nickname

Sorry, I don't see any quotes from Mr. Jaeger that are close to my post. You said almost exact quotes, and there isn't anything. The closest is that he agrees that having the names registered as trade names probably isn't going to affect UND much. Which is the same point that several other people made, also. You didn't strike a nerve, I was just trying to make sense out of your post.

Sorry, I don't see any quotes from Mr. Jaeger that are close to my post. You said almost exact quotes, and there isn't anything. The closest is that he agrees that having the names registered as trade names probably isn't going to affect UND much. Which is the same point that several other people made, also. You didn't strike a nerve, I was just trying to make sense out of your post.

okay....good times! Glad we could share a laugh at my attempted humor. :sad:

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3840904-our-opinion-und-nickname-interference-bismarck-ex-mayor-isnt-welcome

And what shallow thinking Haakenson is displaying, too. For even if he were to succeed at stopping UND from choosing a new nickname (which he won't), where does he think that would leave the university, other than bereft?

In other words, how exactly is UND supposed to "return to the Fighting Sioux"? Somehow, the logic of hardcore fans like him never gets to the point of laying out an actual strategy

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3840904-our-opinion-und-nickname-interference-bismarck-ex-mayor-isnt-welcome

And what shallow thinking Haakenson is displaying, too. For even if he were to succeed at stopping UND from choosing a new nickname (which he won't), where does he think that would leave the university, other than bereft?

In other words, how exactly is UND supposed to "return to the Fighting Sioux"? Somehow, the logic of hardcore fans like him never gets to the point of laying out an actual strategy

Yeah, he's a hardcore fan.....of NDSU! That is why he wants to leave UND "bereft". And that is why I will never support NDSU, with the possible exception of when it benefits UND somehow. And that doesn't happen too often.

College Gameday with several laughs at UND's expense this morning for not having a nickname. Also made fun of Nodaks. 

I don't watch these guys as much as I have in the past, but that segment was poorly thought out and the execution was even worse.  Either take on the NA nickname issue head-on (like journalists), spend some time on the nickname process (could be an interesting story, especially for fans who can't fathom their own school having to do so), or leave it alone.  Half-assed ad libbing and sorry attempts at humor - at the expense of an FCS team with virtually no national footprint - are should be beneath ESPN.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

And there goes "Roughriders Sports Team," admittedly the catchiest nickname of all time. :)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3852308-und-cant-use-my-trade-names-must-add-north-dakota-nickname-ballot-ex-mayor

This could, however, usher in a whole new era of cranky old people blowing their social security checks by filing trade name applications for words and phrases they don't like.  STAY OFF MY (VERBAL) LAWN!

And there goes "Roughriders Sports Team," admittedly the catchiest nickname of all time. :)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3852308-und-cant-use-my-trade-names-must-add-north-dakota-nickname-ballot-ex-mayor

This could, however, usher in a whole new era of cranky old people blowing their social security checks by filing trade name applications for words and phrases they don't like.  STAY OFF MY (VERBAL) LAWN!

I see no way that this can slow down the voting process.