SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

That wouldn't have happened because it would not have allowed their continued use of the Sioux name.  Nodaks streamlines the process for them to easily ignore "Nodaks".  

You really believe that the only way that the hockey program continues to reference the history of the program and the school's former nickname is by swaying the vote to "Nodaks"? Really? 

Yeah, the hockey team wants Nodaks, so that's what I'm voting for. :silly:

Good grief. 

You really believe that the only way that the hockey program continues to reference the history of the program and the school's former nickname is by swaying the vote to "Nodaks"? Really? 

Yeah, the hockey team wants Nodaks, so that's what I'm voting for. :silly:

Good grief. 

I already addressed it with fact based quotes and interviews.  Nobody refuted it.  

I already addressed it with fact based quotes and interviews.  Nobody refuted it.  

My point is that it doesn't matter what the nickname becomes; there will continue to be references to the historical past throughout UND athletics inside and maybe even outside the locker rooms. And, yes, I believe this will occur in other sports beyond hockey. I believe they should remember and honor the history of the program. 

In my opinion, it is pathetic that people have gone out of their way to create a faux rift between the hockey program and the rest of the university as this nickname bs has dominated the conversation the past few years. 

• Upvote 4

My point is that it doesn't matter what the nickname becomes; there will continue to be references to the historical past throughout UND athletics inside and maybe even outside the locker rooms. And, yes, I believe this will occur in other sports beyond hockey. I believe they should remember and honor the history of the program. 

In my opinion, it is pathetic that people have gone out of their way to create a faux rift between the hockey program and the rest of the university as this nickname bs has dominated the conversation the past few years. 

There is nothing "faux" about it.  Ask somebody in the athletic department.  

Make fun if that's what does it for you,  But the North Dakota option is not dead yet.

The point I am trying to make is that people claim that this is the overwhelming majority opinion.  Yet in 3 rally's, there have been a total of less than 100 people.  And the last one had 12!!  If this truly is something that the students wanted and felt strongly for, you would think they would be able to walk across the street to the Fritz and be able to show support for the cause they so strongly believe in!!  There were probably more people standing in line to get ice cream in Wilkerson at that time than were at this rally.  My point is the claim is the no name option is the majority opinion, but there is no proof to back that up.  And, actually there is overwhelming proof to prove it completely wrong!!

The only way Kelley would ever have considered putting the North Dakota option back on is if there was overwhelming support towards it.  If there were a few thousand and the rally's that would speak volumes.  I am not making fun.  Just trying to point out that the claim that the North Dakota option is the majority opinion is just false. 

Edited by Siouxperfan7
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The point I am trying to make is that people claim that this is the overwhelming majority opinion.  Yet in 3 rally's, there have been a total of less than 100 people.  And the last one had 12!!  If this truly is something that the students wanted and felt strongly for, you would think they would be able to walk across the street to the Fritz and be able to show support for the cause they so strongly believe in!!  There were probably more people standing in line to get ice cream in Wilkerson at that time than were at this rally.  My point is the claim is the no name option is the majority opinion, but there is no proof to back that up.  And, actually there is overwhelming proof to prove it completely wrong!!

The only way Kelley would ever have considered putting the North Dakota option back on is if there was overwhelming support towards it.  If there were a few thousand and the rally's that would speak volumes.  I am not making fun.  Just trying to point out that the claim that the North Dakota option is the majority opinion is just false. 

Actually the reason Kelley didn't put North Dakota back on the ballot is because anyone with any awareness of reality knows that it would have easily won. I don't have a big problem with it not being on the ballot just wish they would have had the stones to announce this decision months before they did and explained the reasoning.....but anyone who thinks North Dakota wouldn't have won is being disingenuous at best or is completely tuned out to the surrounding world at worst in which case you may be qualified to be a President of a University(see Kelley, Robert and Bresciani, Dean)

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3866874-video-devoted-few-attend-und-nickname-protest

It really is a shame the  North Dakota option was not on the ballot to vote for.  It clearly is the "majority" opinion!! :)

this pretty much debunks the theory I've seen on here several times that Nodaks voters are Sioux forever people.   thanks for posting.   

• Upvote 1

Actually the reason Kelley didn't put North Dakota back on the ballot is because anyone with any awareness of reality knows that it would have easily won. I don't have a big problem with it not being on the ballot just wish they would have had the stones to announce this decision months before they did and explained the reasoning.....but anyone who thinks North Dakota wouldn't have won is being disingenuous at best or is completely tuned out to the surrounding world at worst in which case you may be qualified to be a President of a University(see Kelley, Robert and Bresciani, Dean)

No one knows whether it would have been a majority or not. There were no real surveys done, no scientific research. There is only anecdotal evidence and the people that made noise. Internet polls do not count as scientific research. "Everyone I know wanted to stay as North Dakota" isn't scientific. Ever heard of the silent majority? it is very possible that the majority of people would not have supported going without a nickname. A lot of people that are eligible to vote were not paying attention to the polls, and weren't involved in the arguments. Many people want to have the whole issue done. Going without a nickname would not have accomplished that, so it is very possible that they would have chosen one of the nicknames rather than going without. Others believe that it is important to have a nickname for a variety of reasons. Still others liked one or more of the options. Also, a lot of people that have made noise about going without a nickname are not eligible to vote. So they wouldn't have been able to vote for no nickname even if it were on the ballot.

No one provided good reasons that would support going without a nickname. The overwhelming arguments were "because I want it" and "because I don't like the other choices", followed by "that way we can continue to use Fighting Sioux". Those don't support the school. Those are personal choices, notice the personal pronouns. No other relevant school goes without a nickname. Nicknames are used in cheers, used for marketing and branding, etc. Nicknames are useful for team sports and for college sports programs. That is why everyone uses them. No one gave good reasons to show how going without a nickname would be better for the University of North Dakota. The overwhelming reason given was always just that they wanted it that way.

• Upvote 3

this pretty much debunks the theory I've seen on here several times that Nodaks voters are Sioux forever people.   thanks for posting.   

Not really.  They are two different names.  You don't go protest about wanting to stay North Dakota if you have evolved onto Nodaks (as your new way to stay as close to Sioux as possible).  Like the hockey players.  

Not really.  They are two different names.  You don't go protest about wanting to stay North Dakota if you have evolved onto Nodaks (as your new way to stay as close to Sioux as possible).  Like the hockey players.  

congratulations on your 2000th post.   

exactly, they are two different names!   I swear, if a nodaks supporter stated the sky was blue, there would be roughrider supporters posting on here within five minutes to argue that point. 

Edited by Siouxphan27
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No one gave good reasons to show how going with one of the final 5 would be better for the University of North Dakota.

Actually, they did. Many, many, many times, on this board and in multiple other places. I noted a couple of them in my post. They use nicknames in cheers. Something like "Here we go Roughriders, here we go". If you don't have a nickname it becomes "Here we go, here we go". Instead of "Let's go, Sioux" it becomes "Let's go". They use nicknames in marketing and advertising. It adds something besides the generic name of the school, which they can still use also. They add a lot more options to put on merchandise, to make money for the University. The school can continue to use North Dakota as an option, but can sell merchandise using Nodaks and UND Nodaks and North Dakota Nodaks and have a logo or not have a logo. More options will provide more opportunity to sell and make money for the athletic department. They use nicknames in journalism as an identifier to give the story some variety. Instead of calling the team just UND or North Dakota, they can also call them Fighting Hawks or Hawks. If a new nickname isn't chosen they will use things like "Green and White" or "Whioux" or "No names". They could even come up with something worse like Banana Slugs. Those are just a few of the reasons why schools have a sports nickname, and why it is better for UND to have a nickname than to go without a nickname. Any of the final 5 can be used with different degrees of attractiveness and probably different degrees of effectiveness. But any of the final 5 are better than going without a nickname.

• Upvote 2

congratulations on your 2000th post.   

exactly, they are two different names!   I swear, if a nodaks supporter stated the sky was blue, there would be roughrider supporters posting on here within five minutes to argue that point. 

Thanks...didn't even notice!

If you go back and verify you will see I voted for Nodaks.  Fine with RR.  Indifferent on Hawks.  No North Stars.  Hell !@#$ no on SunDogs.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3866874-video-devoted-few-attend-und-nickname-protest

It really is a shame the  North Dakota option was not on the ballot to vote for.  It clearly is the "majority" opinion!! :)

Your obsession for this is unreal,  if this would have been on the ballot it would have won, and you know! You reek of fear everytime you try to play it down! 

Yea, before you go all nuts, I know "few showed up" but that doesnt mean they arent out there. I didn't even hear about this till today.  Keep trying! There's a reason they didn't want it on the ballot.

• Upvote 2

Your obsession for this is unreal,  if this would have been on the ballot it would have won, and you know! You reek of fear everytime you try to play it down! 

Yea, before you go all nuts, I know "few showed up" but that doesnt mean they arent out there. I didn't even hear about this till today.  Keep trying! There's a reason they didn't want it on the ballot.

You're quite right.  It would have won hands down, and they know it; that's why it wasn't one of the options.  The reasons why the school absolutely, positively, without a doubt needs to have a nickname are tenuous at best.  Regardless of what the nickname is, sales of merchandise will not be anywhere near what they were with the Fighting Sioux nickname.  They wont be that much better, if any, than the sales of North Dakota only materials.  To use their own logic against them (i.e. the people who want to stay "North Dakota" really want to be the "Fighting Sioux"), all of the marketing fluff and other justifications really can be translated, as I've said before, to this:  "We want to have a nickname - any nickname, even a horses#!# one- just so that we're not the "Fighting Sioux" and so that people are hopefully less inclined to say 'Fighting Sioux' at games."  The meme that "North Dakota" violated the terms of the surrender agreement was a complete lie and was exposed as such.  They still have plan B which is the whole marketing angle - an area that is so nebulous and esoteric and which can be impacted by so many varied perspectives that can never be completely identified let alone understood.  With the surrender agreement, all one had to do was read it, acknowledge it and wait for the inevitable admissions.  

• Upvote 2

We just pick a nickname - ignore it and keep cheering Let's Go Sioux and "the home of the Sioux" - nothing the NCAA can do about it. With no nickname the NCAA said they would do something about it. 

How ever I've already felt people looking at me when I cheer "Let's go Sioux" at basketball and football games. Of course they are the people who don't cheer at all. 

• Upvote 3

:lol:  You are a pretty funny guy!!  Oh man.  I reek of fear?!!  You Portland State fans sure do get defensive when you get proven wrong!!  The support for no nickname is out there.  Of course I know that.  The whole point is I believe it is the vocal minority.  I think that there are far more people that want to see UND move on with a new nickname than those that don't want them to.  Good luck against Cal Poly this weekend!! ;)

• Upvote 1