SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

Fair enough.  Seems to me like they have gotten behind that name fairly quickly here.  Must be a reason.  

i'm as diehard as the next guy when it comes to the Sioux name but have absolutely no interest or tie of any kind to the Nodak name/slur.  A change is coming whether we want it to or not...everyone will have to deal with it in their own way...maybe I missed a meeting where all the Sioux diehards were instructed to support the Nodak name. ;)

• Upvote 2

Lawsuit alleges that the "State Board, UND, and Defendant Kelley are without authority to act to change the name"

Whathe ... re-e-e-eally? 

Let's go to June 2012, the measure as it appeared on the ballot said:[7]

This referendum measure concerns Senate Bill 2370 as passed by the Legislative Assembly in the November 2011 special session (Session Laws, Chapter 580). Senate Bill 2370 repealed section 15-10-46 of the North Dakota Century Code, which required the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

YES – means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

NO – means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and would require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

So the Legislature passed SB 2370 to require UND to do something other than what it was planning to do. 

Doesn't that indicate that UND had/has the power and authority to change the name because what the Legislature did precluded UND's rightful authority?  

Edited by The Sicatoka

Whathe ... re-e-e-eally? 

So the Legislature passed SB 2370 to require UND to do something. 

Doesn't that indicate that UND had/has the power and authority to change the name because what the Legislature did precluded UND's rightful authority?  

Another worthless lawsuit, file this one with the state law that Al Carlson made up. Just pick a name and end this mess.

Whathe ... re-e-e-eally? 

So the Legislature passed SB 2370 to require UND to do something other than what it was planning to do. 

UND has been in the process of selecting a new name for months now.  Several committees have been formed.  Names have been submitted and narrowd down.  Coutnless articles written about how UND is in the process of selecting a new name.  One would think that if they were in violation of any laws, that one person from the ND state legislature would say something? 

So let's fast foward to, let's just say,  the year 2022.  The new name and logo have been in place for several years.  Every current student athlete will have only played under the new name.  Teams will be wearing jerseys with the new name and logo.  The Alerus, the Betty, and yes even the Ralph will have the new name and logo displayed prominently.   You are telling me that you are still going to continue to wear your outdated Sioux jersey and yell a retired name even though many will be cheering and displaying the name and logo of the ACTUAL nickname for UND?  

I will, but I like to blend in with the crowd

• Upvote 1

UND has been in the process of selecting a new name for months now.  Several committees have been formed.  Names have been submitted and narrowd down.  Coutnless articles written about how UND is in the process of selecting a new name.  One would think that if they were in violation of any laws, that one person from the ND state legislature would say something? 

No, it's better to wait until one week before voting to cry foul especially when you wait to see what the choices are. People just want their 5 minutes of fame, well it's not going to work...vote on.

• Downvote 1

The original goal was $50k. They dropped it after the attorney said they needed $10k to get the lawsuit started, and when they only had about $3k pledged with a few days to go. I'm sure the attorney is still looking for $50k.

Does any of our on-site lawyers see this succeeding? 

i'm as diehard as the next guy when it comes to the Sioux name but have absolutely no interest or tie of any kind to the Nodak name/slur.  A change is coming whether we want it to or not...everyone will have to deal with it in their own way...maybe I missed a meeting where all the Sioux diehards were instructed to support the Nodak name. ;)

Our student group is Nodak Nation.  That came about long before Nodaks was a potential nickname because it makes sense and the school has some history of using it.  Seems like a natural fit to me.

It's painfully obvious that the Sioux Forever crowd is pushing Nodaks.  This tells me they think they can marginalize it later or make it relate to Sioux somehow later on.  Just my opinion.  

The Fighting Sioux Hardliners can't have "UND/North Dakota". So they are latching onto the next best thing....Nodaks. It is so bland, so unimaginative, that maybe (just maybe) the Fighting Sioux name will live on as an "unofficial" nickname. After all, the NCAA would be powerless to do anything about it, right? :silly:

Their double-secret wet dream, of course, is to reinstate the Fighting Sioux name and logo and live with the sanctions that would accompany them. After all, hockey doesn't have to host regionals to be successful in the playoffs and none of the other sports ever have or ever will matter. :silly: But they know that isn't going to happen, so they have settled on their third choice and that seems to be Nodaks.

That is the real motive for voting Nodaks.

Any questions?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Brad E Schlossman:

This is certainly the popular pick among the men's hockey players and coaching staff.

Colten St.Clair @cstclair17

@SchlossmanGF I agree it's time to vote for #Nodaks

The UND women's hockey players I've spoken to all have said they are either voting Nodaks or not voting.

UND coach Brad Berry will vote for Nodaks for the new nickname next week.

I think Nodaks is gonna win, based on the pushing some have done. Well done to them.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

The Fighting Sioux Hardliners can't have "UND/North Dakota". So they are latching onto the next best thing....Nodaks. It is so bland, so unimaginative, that maybe (just maybe) the Fighting Sioux name will live on as an "unofficial" nickname. After all, the NCAA would be powerless to do anything about it, right? :silly:

Their double-secret wet dream, of course, is to reinstate the Fighting Sioux name and logo and live with the sanctions that would accompany them. After all, hockey doesn't have to host regionals to be successful in the playoffs and none of the other sports ever have or ever will matter. :silly: But they know that isn't going to happen, so they have settled on their third choice and that seems to be Nodaks.

Any questions?

hows that name change coming fighting________4life ?

• Upvote 1

Any questions?

great post!!

I think Nodaks is gonna win, based on the pushing some have done. Well done to them.

The supporters must be from Minnesota and laughing their  behinds off it becoms Nodaks.    Nodaks is basically the same as saying "stupid, hick North Dakotans".  Even non-UND fans cannot believe that it is an option.  It's like giving those folks a gift.   Of course I suppose if we do become the Nodaks, then maybe the negative connotation of the name will change.  yeah, probably not.  Heck I would rather vote for Sundogs and I thought that was awful from the first time it was mentioned years ago.  

Edited by UND83
  • Upvote 1

The supporters must be from Minnesota and laughing their  behinds off it becoms Nodaks.    Nodaks is basically the same as saying "stupid, hick North Dakotans".  Even non-UND fans cannot believe that it is an option.  It's like giving those folks a gift.   Of course I suppose if we do become the Nodaks, then maybe the negative connotation of the name will change.  yeah, probably not.  Heck I would rather vote for Sundogs and I thought that was awful from the first time it was mentioned years ago.  

I think you're overly concerned with what Minnesotans think. By the way there are stupid, hick Minnesotans too and some, I assume, are good people. It should be noted also that regardless of the name on our jersey's we'll still be chalking up W after W. We're going to have such a strong athletic program that nobody will mess with us.  We are going to have so much winning you may get bored with winning. Let's make UND great again.

#MasterofReferences