SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

It wasn't an issue of NDSU taking recruits "from" Brewster since he didn't recruit them as he as busy trying to pull 4 and 5 stars from Texas. There were a few players at NDSU who should have had full rides to Minnesota offered and many others who could have easily played for his Minnesota teams. 

If Brewster doesn't have a ring or two from NDSU it is at worst criminal and at the very least not very neighborly like.

Still can't believe Brewster blocked me on twitter.

To be fair to Brewster, you can't hold Crocket and Williams against him.  Both were non-qualifiers and thus ineligible to play Big Ten Football.  To NDSU's credit they've done as well as anyone in the country in working with kids who are non-qualifiers to get them eligible and on the practice field after the period they are forced to sit out.

Well,  $$ 2.3 M with $200,000 a year guaranteed is nothing to sniff at. Taylor called him “Big Boy” and seemed happy.... the press release said K was coaching this weekend but not sure if K could coach the championship....lots of changes.....lots of energy needed....lots of money needed....

I can’t figure out why these decisions can’t wait until the season is over....of course the early signing day is a factor....

it is what it is....

8 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I heard Brewster was such bumbling idiot and UND (also fools at the time) didn't have a presence in the twin cities and NDSU cleaned up.  I am not going to do the research but that's what I was told.

And really, what makes a good team great is a couple special players that elevate the team.  You and I have said it before, what did a Clive G. do for our offense?  What does a Turner do for a run game?  What does a legit NFL guy do for a secondary in Williams?  (and no, our phony NFL d-back prospects over the past few years do not rise to that level)

This is all correct. Spot on. NDSU’s 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes (many out of Twin Cities) really got the ball rolling for NDSU. Damn 

20 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You are right Les Miles was a horrible coach with a shotty record. His national championship was just a fluke as his coaching had nothing to do about it. 

Im flabbergasted that some of you think Klieman is a better coach that Miles. Klieman has proved nothing at the FBS level and to say Miles record in the best conference in FBS was poor is seriously delusional.

Miles was a fine coach at LSU. He's a fine coach now but at Kansas. BIG difference. 

HE was not creative with the O at LSU. Lacking that at Kansas will NOT win games. You're going with the name. 

Plus, if there were a playoff, I doubt that LSU team that "won the title" would have beat USC among others that year.

Back to one of my favorite arguments ...

Yes, NDSU has had quite a run a QB. There's no argument there. 

But I'm going to say their offensive line play has been equally, if not more so, as important and good through that period of time. 

Good OL play comes from three factors: offensive scheme (using what you've got to the best of its ability), coaching, and strength and conditioning. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Back to one of my favorite arguments ...

Yes, NDSU has had quite a run a QB. There's no argument there. 

But I'm going to say their offensive line play has been equally, if not more so, as important and good through that period of time. 

Good OL play comes from three factors: offensive scheme (using what you've got to the best of its ability), coaching, and strength and conditioning. 

Lot of talk about NDSU being at the top of college football with QB play, defense, etc....but this is where they are better than a good number of FBS schools.

"The Rams" have been hands down the best unit at NDSU during their run.  They've had good backs, but I'm convinced I could run for positive yardage behind the lines they have had.

12 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is all correct. Spot on. NDSU’s 2009 and 2010 recruiting classes (many out of Twin Cities) really got the ball rolling for NDSU. Damn 

Their recruiting success over us started back when we were DII and we haven't been able to overcome it

• During DII - we offered half rides to 72 players where they were able to offer full rides.  Mertens told UND the deciding factor was the full ride at SU and Lennon wasn't willing to match that when the rest of the team was on half ride at max
  • When we went DI NDSU was through their transition and we lost some kids because they didn't want to play in a limbo situation for us - Veldman said he picked them because he needed to have something to play for
  • Since then they have been a juggernaut and are getting pretty much everyone they want.  I don't know how we break through that
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Their recruiting success over us started back when we were DII and we haven't been able to overcome it

• During DII - we offered half rides to 72 players where they were able to offer full rides.  Mertens told UND the deciding factor was the full ride at SU and Lennon wasn't willing to match that when the rest of the team was on half ride at max
  • When we went DI NDSU was through their transition and we lost some kids because they didn't want to play in a limbo situation for us - Veldman said he picked them because he needed to have something to play for
  • Since then they have been a juggernaut and are getting pretty much everyone they want.  I don't know how we break through that

Well said....others have a full ride as a standard, maybe not all players but a select few key positions each year....

There's something about their program that's bigger than any individual head coach.  They have all been mediocre at best in the win column after leaving NDSU for the next level, with the possible exception of Darrell Mudra if you go back far enough.  Maybe Klieman breaks that trend, good luck to him.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Great kid, but we dodged a bullet there.  I was told he wanted to play QB, and UND wanted him on defense so he went to NDSU.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tjbison said:

Coming from someone in Bismarck this is rich...lol

I get a kick out of people that rip North Dakota, yet live here.  We all grumble about the weather and such, but I would hope that there is a reason we live here, as nobody is forcing us to.  Some of the same people that rip on North Dakota are the same ones that are complaining that the coaches aren't bringing in enough talent.  Well, if North Dakota is so bad, I would assume it would be hard to recruit to as well.  The Bison seem to being doing well in that regard though.  

3 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

You bring up good points. Mertens wasn’t very good his senior season, though, in 2009. In fact, NDSU only went 3-8 that season. Everything fell into place when QB Jensen started playing for NDSU during the 2010 season. Their foundation was built that 2010 season. They’ve been rolling ever since. 

Some of the Twin Cities kids that definitely should’ve been at the University of Minnesota and not NDSU (blame Brewster) included CB Marcus Williams, OL Billy Turner, RB John Crockett, WR Zach Vraa (unbelievably Minnesota’s Mr. Football in 2009 and Brewster passed), and LB Grant Olson. A lot of talent in that intial group. 

John Crockett was a bit different of a situation: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/1817997-bison-rb-john-crockett-ready-prove-himself-after-2-years-academic-setbacks%3famp

On 12/11/2018 at 12:28 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

How jealous is Bohl right now? Klieman stays 4 more years at NDSU and gets offered a P5 job with a decent football history where as Bohl got a bottom barrel G5 team. He has got to be pissed for jumping on the first offer. Could this have been Bohl instead of Klieman?

Bohl loved WY before he took the job. He had mentioned that thats where he wanted to live when he retired. Plus he got a private jet at his disposal. With him being a pilot Im sure that was a pretty good perk.

53 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Great kid, but we dodged a bullet there.  I was told he wanted to play QB, and UND wanted him on defense so he went to NDSU.

He was put in a terrible situation. We had two backups leave. So he was it. The coaches put the handcuffs on him so he wouldnt get hurt. Kid was a hell of an athlete and damn good running QB. He wasnt a pocket passer. I really felt bad for him as he was ridiculed pretty badly of which he didnt deserve.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

http://footballscoop.com/news/heres-chris-kliemans-first-meeting-new-kansas-state-players/

Is he still coaching NDSU on Friday night?  If so, I've gotta believe that would be it, and Larson would name Entz the interim HC and figure it out in the meantime?  I haven't seen a precedent for this.  

Hes supposed to coach the team this week and the natty if we go there. Same thing with Bohl.

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You bring up good points. Mertens wasn’t very good his senior season, though, in 2009. In fact, NDSU only went 3-8 that season. Everything fell into place when QB Jensen started playing for NDSU during the 2010 season. Their foundation was built that 2010 season. They’ve been rolling ever since. 

Some of the Twin Cities kids that definitely should’ve been at the University of Minnesota and not NDSU (blame Brewster) included CB Marcus Williams, OL Billy Turner, RB John Crockett, WR Zach Vraa (unbelievably Minnesota’s Mr. Football in 2009 and Brewster passed), and LB Grant Olson. A lot of talent in that intial group. 

John Crockett was a bit different of a situation: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/1817997-bison-rb-john-crockett-ready-prove-himself-after-2-years-academic-setbacks%3famp

Their ascendance is a perfect example of fortune favoring the bold.   UND, USD, and the rest of the NCC other than SDSU basically decided to de-emphasize their football programs by staying Division II when the SU's left. At the same time Nebraska eliminated their walk-on program and shortly thereafter UNO dropped football entirely, opening up a new recruiting area for SDSU/ NDSU which has provided key players on the last few championships (Stick).   All this while University of Minnesota's football program has gone through a decade of nearly constant coaching turnover (Mason/ Brewster/ Kill/Claeys/ Fleck) that continues to this day.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Hes supposed to coach the team this week and the natty if we go there. Same thing with Bohl.

Yes.  I get that.  If it was Hakstol addressing the players in a team meeting in Flyer's warmups two days prior to a national semi-final, I guess I'm saying that would bother me.